• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sometimes, the zombies mouse dance backfires...

MysticExotics

(formerly NWHeather)
So I was feeding some of the kids tonight, when I went to feed Teija, my biggest IJ yearling, she just sat there & stared....so I started the zombie mouse dance....& she lunged....& got my finger instead of the mouse....

Attachments

• 002a.jpg
    002a.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 017teija (2).jpg
    017teija (2).jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 103
LOL :D
I've had that happen to me too. I've learned to dance the mouse without moving my fingers. Or as little as possible anyway.

Looks like she gotcha pretty good, Heather! I hope it cleaned up well and isn't as bad as it looks :).

My baby BRB strikes at everything--tongs, fingers, faces, pictures on the monitor, etc. Heck, she even bit my chest, once, just 'cause it was sticking out there (not something I can help :)! LOL! Good thing she's small and I was wearing a rather thick sweater :).

My BPs, on the other hand, just sit there and stare like your IJ. When THEY strike, it's so fast I don't even see it happen! I just hope they never miss their rat and get me instead :).

i'm just waiting for the day my 5' male dumeril decides that my fingers are his prey...

that looks like a pretty good bite! cute snake, too!

LOL-thanks! I adore her. :)
I was using 10" tongs. It was the timing...I was pulling the mouse back a little, she was just sitting there staring at the mouse, & she lunged forward...she has a long reach...LOL
She hung on for about 1 second, then let go & stared at me, as if to say "it was *your* fault"...LOL
She's a sweet girl. She's never offered to bite me, even when she was getting her antibiotic shots every 3 days, for almost 3 weeks.

LOL-thanks! I adore her. :)
I was using 10" tongs. It was the timing...I was pulling the mouse back a little, she was just sitting there staring at the mouse, & she lunged forward...she has a long reach...LOL
She hung on for about 1 second, then let go & stared at me, as if to say "it was *your* fault"...LOL
She's a sweet girl. She's never offered to bite me, even when she was getting her antibiotic shots every 3 days, for almost 3 weeks.

If you were pulling the mouse back, you were increasing the distance between your finger and her, and you already had 10 inches of distance between your finger and the intended meal. That was no accident...you were meant to be tagged! But that's okay, as the bite wound on my left thumb still isn't fully healed (as every encounter I have had with rubbing alcohol lately keeps reminding me). Since I'm right-handed, my left hand is no where near the mouse when it feeding time, but one of my new sunkissed females let me know under no uncertain terms that she was not interested in dinner (she was just going blue - I could see a slight cloudiness to her eyes) and just wanted to be left alone. She managed to surprise me, lunging a good 18 inches to get the hand furthest from her (and the one with the slower reaction time). I'm just really glad that female snakes don't get PMS...or do they?

If you were pulling the mouse back, you were increasing the distance between your finger and her, and you already had 10 inches of distance between your finger and the intended meal. That was no accident...you were meant to be tagged! But that's okay, as the bite wound on my left thumb still isn't fully healed (as every encounter I have had with rubbing alcohol lately keeps reminding me). Since I'm right-handed, my left hand is no where near the mouse when it feeding time, but one of my new sunkissed females let me know under no uncertain terms that she was not interested in dinner (she was just going blue - I could see a slight cloudiness to her eyes) and just wanted to be left alone. She managed to surprise me, lunging a good 18 inches to get the hand furthest from her (and the one with the slower reaction time). I'm just really glad that female snakes don't get PMS...or do they?

IDK about the PMS part, but it was my fault. I was not paying as much attention as I should have been. I was holding the end of the tongs, & just bent my wrist, to tilt the mouse back, so when she lunged forward, my finger was right there.

On another note, I've had some IJ's that have focused on where the mouse was coming from, meaning they "investigate" what's on the other end of that mouse. LOL
Maybe Teija just doesn't like the zombie dance..& she proved it by tagging me. LOL

Back