• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Take One Snake and Call Me In The Morning.

Pal-O-Mine

So there's been this rumor where I work that there was a snake hanging around the kennels and everyone but me, the snake lady, had seen it. Friday I got this panicky message on my machine that they had caught the snake and to come get it. But by the time I called back, it had disappeared again. ( Hmmph! Never heard of THAT happening! ) I kept getting mixed descriptions on what the snake looked like so I had no idea what kind it was, but Tami told me it looked like my Draco only it was all the wrong color. So by now I'm expecting something LARGE in size. Well, Tuesday, while I was there, one of my co-workers was doling out medication for a client and when she put her hand into the pill bottle shelf, she came back with a snake---a very little snake. Well I couldn't release it back into the wild in a safer place because we've had our first few hard frosts.

So that means I have ANOTHER SNAKE! This makes 9! I know, I know, that doesn't sound like a whole lot to some of you but I was already at capacity before this little guy. Now I'm past it! He/she/it is living in a little sterlite tub with a hermit crab heater in the upstairs bathroom, the warmest room in the house. I am 90% sure its a baby black rat snake but I'd trust you guy's opinion on this better. So here's a few pics. Let me know what you think I've got. I hope its legal to keep these in Pa.!

Devon

Attachments

• Hopewell Snakelet 2.jpg
    Hopewell Snakelet 2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Hopewell Snakelet 3.jpg
    Hopewell Snakelet 3.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Hopewell Snakelet 4.jpg
    Hopewell Snakelet 4.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 81
I think you are right on it being a black rat snake. You could always just keep it over the winter and release it in the spring with a full belly.

Love the Fatman

That's this years black rat hatchling. He just came inside for the winter. If you keep him, it will be interesting to see him turn mostly black by next spring. I'm sure he will be quite feisty and want to be left alone. I've raised several and after about three feet in length they start to quiet down and start to grow out of their skinny stage.

Yeah, any advice on raising a wild baby black snake would be great! I normally don't care too much for black snakes. Of course, that's because all my experience with black snakes has been with adults that break into the house or the car's engine and pop up on the hood as we're driving! They seem to be a pretty aggressive lot. Maybe if I get a baby I can work him outta it! So far the most vicious snake I have ever owned was a blue garter baby that lived about 3 months. That thing either ran from me or attacked me every time I popped the top! It would have been scary if it hadn't been so tiny!

This guy has struck at me once. He seems to get over it quickly though if your hand is warm. It seems like he did eat SOMETHING. He has a bit of a lump in his mid-section. Any idea what he may have ingested so that I can give him the same thing, something he's used to???? I have an app. with my most excellent herp vet on Monday to get some more pointers on getting him to thrive.

Devon

It's hard to guess what he may have eaten. It could be anything from a small frog to a small mouse. Usually in your area they have found a place to spend the winter several weeks ago and stopped feeding. This guy was lucky enough to find a warm building.

I have always used frozen and thawed mice for young black rats. They usually start out on small fuzzy mice and grow quickly. Don't be disappointed if he starts out as a poor eater. The cold weather and day length have told him he should be taking a break till Spring.

I'm sure he will be quite feisty and want to be left alone.

Dick Deuel

Feisty? Just a bit! He's not timid about biting! I'm debating about giving him the tame name of "Onyx" or the more appropriate name of "Mini Achmed the Dead Terrorist" for his attitude! ( Although that is a bit of a mouthful for his size! )

Devon

Attachments

• Nice Snakie, Snakie 2.jpg
    Nice Snakie, Snakie 2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 16
Back