• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Virus killing feeder crickets

Oh wow, that really stinks! I'm so glad I no longer keep chameleons, but I really feel for those that produce crickets and those that need them. I have a feeling things will get worse before it gets better for them.

This does stink and I also feel it will get worse before it will even begin to get better which is very worrying. Atleast they said it does harm the animals that eat them, that was my first concern when I saw the title.

The gecko forums have been discussing this for awhile now. A lot of people with animals that will switch, have switched over to dubia roaches because of the virus. Some areas they can't buy crickets anywhere and other areas have jacked the prices really high for them.

I thought that was old news! The cricket farm that I liked to get supers from, Lucky Lures, went out of business last summer because of it.

I'm gonna have to try and convert my AFTs over to lobster or dubia roaches......all 6 million of them!

Old news?

Still a shame though, considering some animals just need those crickets, they're supposed to be great bait, and that some suppliers have actually gone out of business.

Although, I'm curious if in like 5 years, stores will have super/meal worms and roaches instead of the worms and crickets... heh.

Hee hee, time to buy some roaches and start breeding them!

Although there's never been an issue with cricket supplies in my area. Pet co/smart always have those Take Home crickets and usually have a bunch in the bulk bins; Pet Supermarket is iffy, since they don't ever have a whole bunch.

I heard about this concern awhile back also, I even asked the petsmart near me if they were feeling the pinch. They were, and they couldn't get certain sizes. So far it seems to have been getting better though at least in Canada.

I know there was something on the News this summer about it and bringing in a different kind of cricket to Canada and plenty of people were against it incase it ruined crops and such.

I hope it works out for everyone who feeds crickets.

Personally, I wonder why no one offers grasshoppers. My rats love the canned ones at petstores, and the nutritional information looks good to me for reptiles!

So far, I've had no shortage of crickets, only Superworms. I go through about 6,000 crickets a week, not being able to get them would be devastating!

Back