• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Obama support goes down by 60 000 000.

Does this really need to be a thread? Does it serve any purpose? Is that silly little three paragraph stubbed-toe pout really important?

No greater ally. Doesn't mean there aren't others just as good, you know. Dear Brian Reade: Grow up. Did you pout too when someone said you were their best friend, and then said the same thing to someone else? News flash: Someone can have multiple 'best' friends.

Does this really need to be a thread? Does it serve any purpose? Is that silly little three paragraph stubbed-toe pout really important?

No greater ally. Doesn't mean there aren't others just as good, you know. Dear Brian Reade: Grow up. Did you pout too when someone said you were their best friend, and then said the same thing to someone else? News flash: Someone can have multiple 'best' friends.
Sorry, but that is just one news paper report...
All UK newspapers are carrying this story, all of them are outraged...
Westminster is very unhappy about it...
It goes a lot deeper than 3 paragraphs and a stubbed toe..

Cheers Barack.... I suggest you think before you speak, you two faced excuse for a diplomat..:twoguns::twoguns:
Biggest ally
UK hands down! 230+ years ago it might have been France but today there is no question it's the UK. BO must have been planning a trip to France and wanted to suc-up. :shrugs:

But that is what it boils down to.

"I'm not your super shiny speshulest bestestest best friend evars?"

I have several people I consider my 'best' friends. I could go up to each of them and say "I have no better friend than you".... because they are equal in my mind. And getting your knickers in a knot over something so ordinary is just plain silly.

And I seem to recall a few kings in UK history who played best friends with several countries and them stabbed them in the back. Repeatedly. Soooo....your point?

But that is what it boils down to.

"I'm not your super shiny speshulest bestestest best friend evars?"

I have several people I consider my 'best' friends. I could go up to each of them and say "I have no better friend than you".... because they are equal in my mind. And getting your knickers in a knot over something so ordinary is just plain silly.
10000 British troops in Helmand province Afghanistan might disagree with you...
350 dead service men will deffo disagree with you.
People in the UK that live by American air/missile bases might disagree with you..
This isn't about playground bestest friends, it's about foreign policy...
60 million people are asking why we blindly follow the US...
Obviously you have given us the answer as to why we should pull out of our special ally status and let you go to your new bestest friend (who hasn't supported the US to the degree the UK has) and see how quick they pick up the baton and follow you into anything.

And I seem to recall a few kings in UK history who played best friends with several countries and them stabbed them in the back. Repeatedly. Soooo....your point?
And the USA had a war with the UK back in history... Should we keep bringing that up, or get over it?
That was then and this is now....

I don't think France is our ally. That Obama made that statement about France is a joke. But I don't think the UK is one to throw stones about foreign policy, given its history.

And the USA had a war with the UK back in history... Should we keep bringing that up, or get over it?
That was then and this is now....

Hmmm....We didn't have foreign policy with the UK at that time and the UK certainly wasn't our friend. We started our country with that war. Big difference.

10000 British troops in Helmand province Afghanistan might disagree with you...
350 dead service men will deffo disagree with you.
People in the UK that live by American air/missile bases might disagree with you..
This isn't about playground bestest friends, it's about foreign policy...
60 million people are asking why we blindly follow the US...
Obviously you have given us the answer as to why we should pull out of our special ally status and let you go to your new bestest friend (who hasn't supported the US to the degree the UK has) and see how quick they pick up the baton and follow you into anything.
US troops (I having been one) also disagree... The UK by far and away has been our best ally and strongest supporter. It was a daft statement by BO, wasn't the first and unfortunately probably won't be the last!

Having served with those troops in Helmand province I can say from experience that the UK is by far a greatest supporter, Canada is a close second on my list, having served with those guys too.

I'm with Tsst and Outcast on this one... the UK has definitely been right there as our best supporter/ally. FRANCE on the other hand, is still definitely on the ally list... but if there were ever an "ally" that would stick us when they could, it would be France...

That being said, I'm not up to speed where he is about us now, but Sarkozy said some pretty "agreeable" things not so long ago.

As Tsst said... one of several "faux pas" that this "orator of orators" has made during his time in office.

Seems a little, "Barry, I thought that I was your best friend." to me (no offense). It really doesn't affect the bigger picture to even make an issue out of who calls who their best ally, and it's certainly not worse than the bro-mance that G.W had with Putin.

I seem to remember us telling Putin to get out of Georgia, or we would get involved... But, that's just what I saw....

... It really doesn't affect the bigger picture to even make an issue out of who calls who their best ally, ...
Then why would BO even bother saying it if the affect is nonexistent? It reeks of typical politico-guile. I just want to know if he bowed to Mr Sarkozy too while kissing his ... :shrugs:

I seem to remember us telling Putin to get out of Georgia, or we would get involved... But, that's just what I saw....

Or Reagan telling the world that we would go to war with Iran if they ever shot a Silkworm missile at us. My brother was in the Gulf War and he watched Silkworm missiles drop off their bow. Then they were debriefed and told by our government that they didn't see Silkworm missiles, although they had been trained to recognise them.

To paraphrase from a great movie,

"People should not be afraid of their government. Government should be afraid of its people."

Back