• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is this right??

Colleen

THe guy I got my Amel from finally got back to me about the genotype of my snake.... Amel het for hypo Amel

Can this be? I have been trying to figure out all of the morphs and the genetics but I can't find anything like this. Also at the end of the month I'm buying 3 more and I want to get a male to breed with her( in 2 years) what would you suggest? I really don't care what I get, but I would like them to be as different as possible.

Thank you all for any suggestions!!:)

Colleen

Is the het for Hypo Amel confusing?

He just means she's amel het for hypo. I think a good pairing would be with a Hypo het amel.

Results:
25% Amel het hypo
25% Hypo het amel
25% Hypo amel (sunglow?)
25% Normal het for amel and hypo.

Dido for what monkey said... when he says amel het hypo amel then it just means it amel het for hypo you cant have the same trait in the dominant and recessive... I would probably also breed it to a Hypo male... youll get alot of hypos and youll be albe to see the diff betweens amels and hypos...

(for the benefit of anyone trying to learn all that stuff)

you cant have the same trait in the dominant and recessive
Eh? ;)

He might have been saying it was het for "hypoamelanism," which is what a lot of people mistakenly call hypomelanism.

The pigment is melanin, the prefix a or an means not or without and the suffix ism means it is a condition or state... ergo, Amelanism: the state of not having melanin. I dunno about the zip code, though. ;)

Likewise with Hypomelanism. It means the reduction of melanin. Since other forms like "hypoerythrism" and "hypoxanthism" have not been discovered, people just use Hypo for short.

So, what happens when Hypoerythrism is discovered? I can see it now... people will be calling them "red hypo" or "gold albino" or some other nonsensical name. ;)

Thanks guys that helped alot!! I was able to find it in my book now, although it's still confusing! LOL Serpwidgets explanations are always so clear!! I look for them in all of the posts.

:D Thank you all for helping me get that straight!

Colleen

Other breeding possibility

If you want some more diversity in future clutches, try an amber. You'll get caramels, butters and ambers as well in the future (WAY future).

Back