• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Vibram FiveFingers Toe shoes ~ Advice

Bartholomew

Big Brotha Bart
I'm planning on getting some FiveFinger toe shoes by Vibram (Brand) and I was wondering if any of you have these or ever had these. Does the bottom get wasted easily? I read alot of comments and also read that the finger slots are "too tight" and others said "best shoe ever". So I'm not sure if its worth 75-100$
I'm just wondering what you all (if you have some) think of them. Any comments greatly appreciated :D

Here's a picture of the one's I'm looking at (I'm getting them online because They're not sold in any stores that i'm familiar with..)
Vibram-Five-Fingers-KSO-04_01.jpg

I've never worn them, but my brothers and several of my friends do, and they all SWEAR by them. Very durable and surprisingly comfortable. (So they say. Again, I don't know firsthand.)

I personally would find a store at least to be fitted, but I have really crooked feet. If you have normal shaped feet (as my brothers/friends do) you'll probably be fine.

I know that's not the greatest advice since I don't have direct experience, though hopefully it helps at least some. :)

There is a lot of discussion about them on the Marks Daily Apple website. You should at least try to try them on in a store no matter where you end up buying them but there are on-line fit guides, too. Some day...

I have them and love them. Bought them online at REI.com actually and they fit marvelously! They have completely gotten rid of all the joint pain and shin splints I was getting while running.

I haven't noticed the bottom wearing off too quickly. One thing I will say though: buy the socks. I got the worst blisters of my life once the weather started getting warm and me feet sweat a bit more... Also, definitely get the ones with the closure around the top of your feet, it really helps keep small pebbles out!

I've never worn them, but my brothers and several of my friends do, and they all SWEAR by them. Very durable and surprisingly comfortable. (So they say. Again, I don't know firsthand.)

I personally would find a store at least to be fitted, but I have really crooked feet. If you have normal shaped feet (as my brothers/friends do) you'll probably be fine.

I know that's not the greatest advice since I don't have direct experience, though hopefully it helps at least some. :)

Like I said; Any comments greatly appreciated :) Thanks for the input! And I'll take your brothers word for it, haha.

There is a lot of discussion about them on the Marks Daily Apple website. You should at least try to try them on in a store no matter where you end up buying them but there are on-line fit guides, too. Some day...

There are some, I guess you could say 'fake', 5 toed shoes at JCPenny that i've been eyeing, and i'll be trying thoes on just to get the basic feel of them. Fila makes thoes 'fake' ones and everyone says thoes are way different from the actual vibram. So I will try on the Fila ones to get the basic idea. And I'll also be checking out that website and looking at the discussion about thoes shoes, Thanks :)

I have them and love them. Bought them online at REI.com actually and they fit marvelously! They have completely gotten rid of all the joint pain and shin splints I was getting while running.

I haven't noticed the bottom wearing off too quickly. One thing I will say though: buy the socks. I got the worst blisters of my life once the weather started getting warm and me feet sweat a bit more... Also, definitely get the ones with the closure around the top of your feet, it really helps keep small pebbles out!

The ones I found on eBay are new and come with the free socks, Thanks for the advice! I'll surely be getting them soon. And i'm thinking about getting the KSO's. The Classics and the Sprint Vibrams seem to have that low cut top part to the shoe. Once again, Thanks!

I was just looking at these (online) yesterday! I like the camo KSOs. Maybe I'll ask for some for my BDay...

I love mine! When I was trying them on, I found that I did NOT like the feel of the strap against my heel, so I chose a model that didn't have one. They're soooo comfortable, and so far I don't notice any wear on them. :)

I own a pair that i use for hiking and i LOVE them. colorado has pretty rocky trails and have yet to stepon something that hurts my feet. I would try them on because no ones toes are the same. I also recomend getting the style with a strap, they are more expensive but well worth the extra twenty dollars. just my two cents

Lee has had his for 3 years and loves them... I might toss them because of the 3 year old smell and get him a new pair though.

lol, wait. These things actually have a function? I thought people just liked to wiggle their toes or something.

Thanks for the great advice, all :) I'll defenitley be getting some for my birthday. (June 27th) :D Can't wait to try these on.

I like the classics, but I only use mine for jogging. I had the KSOs and found them so difficult to get on and off that I returned them for the classics. So I'd say it really depends on what you're planning to use them for whether you should get the closed foot or open. But whatever you do, get some injiji socks. I, too, will get awful blisters from running in warm weather without socks.

If you're going to use them to jog, I would recommend reading up on barefoot running a good bit before you jump right into it. People who jump right into it without reading a lot first about it tend to develop overuse injuries. I was among them.

I know a bunch of people who regularly run marathons in these, but they run in a very particular way. I wouldn't ever be able to do it (besides the fact that I never ever want to run one). I push off with my toes too much to go long distances. I try not to, but every time I stop really thinking and just run, I tend to toe-off. Too much of that will lead to 2nd metatarsal fractures--the 2nd most common fracture for barefoot runners--so you definitely need to take it slow with running, listen to your feet if they start to hurt, and try to figure out what you're doing to make them hurt so you can stop it. I was able to diagnose my peroneal tendinitis right away and know that I'd just overdone it. But I had no idea, after running completely barefoot 2 miles successfully and running 3 miles for quite some time in my vibrams, what I was doing to make my 2nd metatarsal heads sore after running. Fortunately I was able to ask an expert. As soon as he heard where it was hurting, he told me what I was doing to cause it. And if I'm very good about not doing it, I'm never sore there anymore.

I've used mine for over a year now and notice very little wear. But that makes sense. The whole idea is that you're running without doing stuff that produces lots of friction between your feet and the substrate.

Be aware that Injinji socks have a reputation for wearing out more quickly than other socks. I have them, but they were purchased only for long runs, not casual wear. Maybe they have improved them, though, in the last few years. Aside from the wear issue (which I haven't experienced because I only wear mine on special occasions!) they are _wonderful_ socks for any long distance running, no matter what shoes you're wearing. Their purpose is preventing blisters between your toes.

Are there any other brands you can wear with fivefingers (because you really have to wear them when running. I even taped my feet each run and that didn't really work and also made my fivefingers gummy when the tape slipped off with the sweat)?

Are there any other brands you can wear with fivefingers (because you really have to wear them when running. I even taped my feet each run and that didn't really work and also made my fivefingers gummy when the tape slipped off with the sweat)?

I think it's just the price you have to pay for the best socks. I Googled "do injinji socks still wear out fast" and found a lot of threads about the subject. Looks like SmartWool makes them, too, but I have never worn that brand of toe socks, although their normal socks last forever!

Can they get wet.

They LOOK like they would be great for our sail boat.

I know my one brother wears them to go creek stomping and river tubing, though I don't know if they are just the standard ones or if he bought a specific water-going model.

Can they get wet.

They LOOK like they would be great for our sail boat.

I'm not sure, but I think there is one style specifically for water-goers. But all of the Vibram FiveFingers are made with water in mind. So they can get wet.

Thanks, Desertanimal. That was some great advice. I'm not sure I would be jogging with them, since I already have a pair of running shoes that are just great. But I'll still be getting those socks that you and Nanci mentioned. About how much does a pair of socks cost? I wouldnt want to be frequently buying them if they wear easily..

They are definitely allowed to get wet, in fact you can drop them in the washing machine! But there are some that are better for water than others ;)

Back