• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake measurement program

anny

I've seen some discussions about how to measure your snake, and I was really fascinated by this program someone had developed where you take a picture of the snake with an object, and then put lines all down the back to measure the snake in relation to the object, etc. (I really have no clue who developed it though, sorry).

The problem is, I'm a Mac user. The program doesn't work. So, I was wondering:
a) Is there any program like it for a Mac?
b) If not, is there an alternative, pretty simple way I could create a program like that for a Mac?
c) Or is there just some other random/ standard computer program that could be used for this purpose?

Sorry if you don't know what I'm talking about, I'll try to make it clearer if I can.

Are you a programmer? If so it's pretty simple, you would need:

1) Ability to load the image into some sort of control
2) Ability to detect mouse clicks on the image
3) Some simple math for the calibration

I could do this in about 1 hour on Windows, but sorry I have no idea how to develop programs on a MAC :(

However, it should be possible to do a web-based version which was available to everyone. The JavaScript should't be too complicated....

I suddenly feel inspired....but I am working an 80 hour week at the moment so I ain't promising anything :cry:

I'm an Apple user as well, but I've gotten around it by doing it all longhand. If you don't mind the work, you can do it this way too.

If you have some sort of photo editing software that has a measurement tool it will work.

You take the photo of your snake next to a ruler (or some other object you can measure). Then you measure the ruler on the screen, find out how many pixels per inch the ruler measures. Then measure the snake in small increments. Write these increments down as you go then when you've measured the whole snake add up all the increments and divide this total by how many pixels per inch you got when measuring the ruler.

Hope this made sense.

It's time consuming, but it does the same thing as the program would, you just do all the measuring and calculating yourself instead of the computer.

My husband's a programer. Maybe I can get him to write a program for us Apple users.

Thanks to both of you. I was thinking I could do it that way, but I'm a lazy teenager. Haha. But I guess I'll do it after finals and end of school.

We Apple users always get overlooked :( Haha. Thanks!
Annie

Back