Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
PDA

View Full Version : Other rat snakes?

Other rat snakes?

Kevin S.
06-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Just wondering what other American rats people keep aside from "red rats." I got this young licorice (aka whitesided) black rat late last year and I really enjoy him. I'd like to get a bairds rat somewhere down the line, but there are so many other cool North American ratsnakes. Anyway, here are some pics of Slim, just before his most recent shed.

Kevin S.
06-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Just imagine what this trait would look like in a corn. I'd thought about trying to breed him with a corn, then breeding 2 of the offspring to see if anything that looked close to that would result, but it just seems like too much work for a small-time hobbyist like me. I bet there are some purists here who don't want to hear me talk about crossing snakes anyway. I'll shut up now, please don't start beating that dead horse in this thread.

Jason B.
06-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Thats a cool looking snake. How much do they cost?

Kevin S.
06-09-2004, 10:20 PM
There's a lot of variation within this morph. I think $75 is about the cheapest I've seen them. Personally, I prefer this type with the uniform stripe on the back. It turns to more of a dark gray/black tipping on each scale of the back as they mature. There are some that have a banded look to their back stripe and these tend to be darker. I just don't like them as well, but to each his/her own.