Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
PDA

View Full Version : Question for anyone fluent in Spanish...

Question for anyone fluent in Spanish...

Ronda
06-28-2004, 12:36 PM
I know this is *really* off topic, but I figured there are at least a few folks on this forum who are familiar with the language. Several years ago, I was fluent in Spanish, and am now trying to brush up. I bought a book that assumes you have a basic understanding of the language. The book reviews verb conjugation, but does not give any explanations. This isn't really a problem, except for vosotros.

In high school, I specifically remember my teacher saying she was not going to teach vosotros because no one uses it, and it was never even mentioned in my college classes. That verb form is in this book, and I'm wondering if I should continue to pretend that it doesn't exist?

From what I've gathered online, vosotros is used in Spain, but no other Spanish speaking countries. Does that sound correct?

Thanks!

leia
06-28-2004, 12:50 PM
I think I remember that it was only used in Spain also.

My new roommate is from Venezuela & spending the fall semester in Spain, so she'd be a good person to ask when I actually see her.

Darin Chappell
06-28-2004, 03:07 PM
Right, the vosotoros form is used in Spain, and only in the MOST proper of situations imaginable elsewhere. In fact, many Spanish speakers do not even know the vosotros forms of irregular verbs, simply because they are never used in day to day language.

I used to know some of the various forms, but have long since forgotten them. It's not that no one uses them, it's just that no one around HERE does.

The reason that the form is used in Spain is because of the interaction with royalty in that country. The real blue bloods were expected to us the most formal forms in relation to the royal family at court, so they associated the knowledge and use of the vosotros form with high-education and good breeding. In Central and South America, where separation from the Spanish throne has been complete for over 150 years, and they have been separated from Spain by the Atlantic forEVER ... well, they just never saw a need to keep it up.

There's my dos pesos' worth on THAT subject!

:D

Ronda
06-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Perfect! Thank you Darin and Leia!

Since I've already been to Spain and anticipate future travel to Spanish-speaking countries to take place due south of here, I'll make my reunion with the language as simple as possible and skip the silly vosotros. Besides, if I do ever go back to Spain, I probably won't be encountering any royalty, and could care less if anyone thinks I have "good breeding!" :D

Muchas gracias,
Ronda