• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Grendel - my Indigo snake.

ceduke

Female Wiccan Heretic!!
I spent an hour yesterday scrubbing Grendel's cage, and replacing the cypress mulch I had been keeping him on with aspen. It was too hard to see poop in the cypress, and though I spot-clean frequently, it still tended to get really stinky in there because I would miss spots. Hopefully the aspen will fix that.

Once his cage was all clean, I did not feel like putting him away...he is freshly shed and feels like silk in my hands, and he is looking just exceptional right now...so we took a walk down a local trail where there is a nice spot for photos. I got a ton of gorgeous photos, and I got to chat with some nice people walking by, who were all fascinated by him. We go there regularly for pictures, and I have surprisingly never gotten a negative comment about him there...I think he is just so gorgeous that even non-snake people are impressed. ^_^

Here is his nice clean cage...not a very good shot, but it is hard to get the whole thing in the frame.
Grendel003.jpg

Grendel007.jpg

Grendel047.jpg

Grendel041.jpg

Grendel039.jpg

Grendel036.jpg

Grendel031.jpg

Grendel029.jpg

Grendel026.jpg

Grendel023.jpg

I love how he's so reflective you can actually see the clouds in the sky reflected off of him. He's amazing. Second last pic is my favorite. Thanks for sharing! There was an indigo at the show up here recently. It was amazing to see one in person.

Thanks everyone!

Something kind of neat occurred to me today after I posted these....it was about ten years ago that I went to the Sacramento reptile expo and got to hold an Indigo snake...which started my obsession. This year, I am bringing Grendel to the expo to show him off (NOT to sell him!!), and maybe I'll pass that obsession along to someone new!!

My goodness he is beautiful ! Hopefully my snakes will get big enough to take out to the local community. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My goodness he is beautiful ! Hopefully my snakes will get big enough to take out to the local community. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'm very careful about taking them out places because I don't want to scare people...but it is really fun to see people enjoying them or asking questions and becoming more curious than apprehensive as we talk. :)

He's so cool! How big is he now? We saw hatching Indigos at Daytona- they are huge babies!

He's so cool! How big is he now? We saw hatching Indigos at Daytona- they are huge babies!

He's a hair over six feet now! I was looking at baby pictures of him recently and yeah - they are some BIG babies! :D

He's a hair over six feet now! I was looking at baby pictures of him recently and yeah - they are some BIG babies! :D

This is my Dream Snake Ceduke! :bowdown: I hear they look irredescent blue in the sunlight.
Is it still very hard to accquire one of these guys (im in NY)?
What is the indigo temperament like? Are they gentle or biters (generally speaking)?
Can you post the baby pics please? lol :D

I remember watching feeding videos of him a few years ago. He is pure awesomeness!
Do you still have your stinkin' little hoggie?

A local guy had an Indigo for a while, and I got to see him in person. Impressive!
The snake that tops Indigos for me, is the Boelens Python. O-M-G, those are so incredible!
I got to hold one at a recent local gathering, and I am in love! (I was before, but it made my day to get to hold one.)

I'd love to have either one of them, someday!

This is my Dream Snake Ceduke! :bowdown: I hear they look irredescent blue in the sunlight.
Is it still very hard to accquire one of these guys (im in NY)?
What is the indigo temperament like? Are they gentle or biters (generally speaking)?
Can you post the baby pics please? lol :D

It can be hard to get them, mostly because you need a permit to purchase one across state lines. I lucked out finding one for sale in my state....though apparently the permit isn't very hard to get, just time-consuming!!

Their temperament is like....hmm...think of them like a really big garter snake in terms of handling, at least until they get to be 4 years old or so - they are SUPER ACTIVE! Grendel is finally slowing down a bit, but he is still way more active than any of my other snakes. This makes them fantastic display snakes too, since they are not only active they are totally fearless. Grendel rarely uses his hides, he prefers to sit out at the front of his tank.

They are not typically biters, though if you get bitten it HURTS! The only time Grendel bit me was once when he was hungry and I grabbed the entrance to his hide to move it - 100% my fault, all he saw was my fingertips entering his hide, and he let go immediately. I still take him out of the cage with a hook because he's very excitable, but once he's out he is as docile as anything.

Baby pics, you say? You got it!! These pics are from Tom E, who occasionally logs in here and who I purchased Grendel from when he was about a year old.

babygren.jpg

babygrendel.jpg

babygrendel3.jpg

babygrendel5.jpg

This was the first pic I took when he arrived here - he was about the size of a full-grown corn snake at the time! Yeah yeah, I know, should have made the bed before taking the pic...but I had an indigo snake, who cares!?

grendel010.jpg

Back