• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Pirate to the Rescue!!!

So Pirate55

Pirates are the mascot of ECU (my school) so that's where my name came from but anywho....

I got off work today about 3 and i'm about to set foot in my appt complex when i see one of the yardmen jump back and yell to his coworker, "whoa it's a copperhead!, grab the hoe."
Even if it was a copperhead, there's no way that i'm about to let the critter meet it's maker in the form of a garden tool. I quickly ran over, but just to keep them from killing it. I get over there and low and behold it's a corn. It was a really pretty eastern NC corn. The borders were really bold even with the dark wash that it had about it.

So i convinced the 2 men that it was not a copperhead and to let me have it. I think they also think that i'm a little crazy. It was somewhere around 2.5 feet (guessing). It was a little spooked when i tried to pick it up but other than one flightly try at a get away, it was really calm tempered. I put him in a pillowcase and it now has a new home out at one of my dad's farms.

This is my second relocation but the first real "rescue". The other one was a black ratsnake that i moved so that my mom would actually go back in the yard. Anyway, i just thought i'd share. I guess you can consider this a Natural Observation.

~Harry

Good jod! Let's hope the time you invested in education will pay off the next time they find a snake. ;)

Well done! I am apalled that so many ignorant people automatically want to kill every snake they see. When you picked up that snake in front of them they must have freaked...I hope they come get you if they find any more.

Yeah one of them has a lil trouble speaking english so when i walked to go to work this morning he yelled "snake-man" and waved. I kinda laughed and went on about my way. Ignorant? yes, but it's what most people have been conditioned to think especially in an area where there are tons of water moccassins and the occasional timber rattler. Oh well, you try to educate and that's the best you can do

OMG, East Carolina University! I used to work with a bunch of alums. Really good guys out of the music department. Small world, not like running into somebody that went to Ohio State.

Great job on the rescue. I learned in dog rescue that you can't save them all, but you can save all for some. Way to go on fighting the good fight.

Yeah you would actually be suprised at the number of alumni that reside in the Northern VA, Maryland area. I'm starting to think there are more people from up there who attend school here than there is from NC.

Back