Home | Array | Banner Ads | Array | Array
PDA

View Full Version : OK...One Last Time...What's THIS?!?!?!

OK...One Last Time...What's THIS?!?!?!

Bekah
08-17-2004, 07:38 PM
Ok...I had it all figured out, or at least I thought I did. My user CP recently started showing where I was getting "Reputation" from. My question is as follows:

#1 - Why are some "Last Reputation Received" Green while others are dark?!?!

#2 - Doesn't anyone leave comments, and if so are they viewable. All the "Reps" I leave I also put comments in. (It would be nice to see what is said about oneself...even if it is negative)

#3 - How come every post I have subscribed to says my reputation is "Even on this post".

I know this is kinda trite stuff, guys...but I'd really like to know how to take full advantage of what this site is offering as well as return the favor to those deserving.

Thanks for anyone who can impart any knowledge on this topic!

CAV
08-17-2004, 11:22 PM
As much as I'd like to answer your questons, the truth is I've been asking the same things. I'll also add:

When does the rep # change?

Rich Z
08-18-2004, 01:34 AM
Beats me what this does. If it bothers people, I can just disable it. I've looked at all the options in the admin section, but it doesn't seem to do what the options say it should do. Maybe this is just too new in this new version and doesn't have all the bugs worked out of it yet.

produs
08-18-2004, 01:52 AM
Hey Any One On Here I Need Some Help?

Cindy
08-18-2004, 07:56 AM
Hi Produs,
Give us some clues and we will try and help! what's your question and if it is on a specific subject this may not be the thread to post it under, but fire away and we will point you in the right direction. :)

CAV
08-18-2004, 07:58 AM
Rich,

I personally don't think it is a problem. I'm just curious more than anything.

Cindy
08-18-2004, 08:05 AM
:cry: :cry: :cry: He's taken our brownie points away!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
LOL x

Bekah
08-18-2004, 03:21 PM
ROFL! :roflmao:

I wouldn't disable it just yet Rich! I too am curious to see how this all works. And I don't want my brownie points taken away either!!! LOL!

Susan
08-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Since I noticed it about 2 weeks ago, I've been checking my User CP every time I visit to see if anything new has happened to my rep. I can see the last two reps made, 1 even has a comment (Thanks!), but haven't been able to figure out if there is any way to view previous ones (just curious). But checked today to find the numbers gone from the posts (everything still there under my User CP) and feel a bit disappointed. I came across this thread and have to put my $.02 in...I like the rep idea (could help someone decide which advice to take if they conflict), would even like to see any negative comments under my User CP because I feel healthy criticism can be beneficial. Like I said, just my $.02.

Skye
08-19-2004, 05:41 PM
I see the rep points are back!
If anyone works out how they work, we are all keen to hear!
Skye

Bekah
08-19-2004, 09:54 PM
I dunno...but someone give me some brownie points! LOL! I look sorry with my 3 Rep points over there! I need to find out who's giving them away. I will gladly trade with someone...your brownie points for my Betty Crocker points! LOL! Just kidding all! (Unless someone wants to take me up on the Betty Crocker points....[lmao])

rolph1414
08-19-2004, 11:53 PM
I'm with you all, I'll take as many brownie points as I can!!!

I see some of you are in the twenties!!!!

What's up with that?

Cindy
08-20-2004, 04:23 AM
:crazy02: :crazy02: :crazy02: yeah... brownie points are back :crazy02: :crazy02: I still don't understand them but hooray :grin01:

niki
08-20-2004, 05:46 AM
i am confused

Cindy
08-20-2004, 08:02 AM
i am confused
Welcome to the 'confused club'! I have no idea what the reputation points thing is about either, I personally award them if I read a post that I feel is useful, touching or just adds to my enjoyment of this site. But what rep point's mean in the grand scheme of things, I have no idea.

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
08-20-2004, 08:12 AM
So, I am now totally confused. Everytime you chat, someone can give you a rep point? How about if you pay someone? lol How many points can I get for a buck? So when Produs says he needs some help......I think he means that he needs some rep points, not advice? So Produs let exchange rep points, OK :0) Got to laugh, sam ~~~~~~~~:~

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
08-20-2004, 08:22 AM
GREAT and Thanks, I would love to return the "favor" BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW. Where is the magic button! Sam ~~~~~~~~:~

Cindy
08-20-2004, 08:46 AM
It's the weighing scales next to your green light and warning triangle....(does that deserve points...hint, hint!!!) :)

brownie55
08-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Any woman wanting points should send a private e-mail. Actually being local and dating me could get you additional points. Laughing at this will mean that it was read in the spirit intended, but could cause laugh lines, not as much fun as rep points.

And please note that "brownie points" were named after me..... :crazy02:

Skye
08-20-2004, 11:10 AM
I confess - hand me the laugh lines!
Skye

Bekah
08-20-2004, 04:54 PM
Ok, gang...I've figured this much out. With rep points you sorta have to "spread the wealth" somehow. I tried to give rep points to both Cindy and CornCrazy, but it wouldn't let me do so saying that I had to give rep points elsewhere before I could give them more rep points (which I guess is fair, so that people don't get undeserved rep points, but how many do I have to give before I can give to those I REALLY feel deserve it! And I DO only give to those I feel deserve it anyway! I refuse to just go around giving random points in the hopes of getting some myself. I do know that you can give negative rep points, but I don't even want to go there...I'd be afraid of the reprecussions from some of the more (shall we say) short-tempered members of the forum. I'm trying to firgure how the points increase the rep power...if I find out, I'll certainly let you all know. In the meantime I will continue to "spread the wealth" to those truly deserving.

SIDE NOTE: Throw CornCrazy and Cindy some points...they're deserving members!!!

Rich Z
08-20-2004, 05:17 PM
I've been reading through the vbulletin site (when I have time) to try to figure this reputation thing out. I'll post a few snippets of info that I found to see if it helps make sense.

- Everyone has a reputation = total of reputation : it is your points of reputation, and it starts at 10.

- Everyone has a reputation power = altering power : it is how much you can affect other's reputation (adding or substracting), and it starts at 0 or 1 (haven't tested), and can only grow with register date, post count and reputation.

- Admins can fix their reputation power to 10 or whatever they want.

Say you start with 1 point.
When you alter the reputation of someone else, you will give +1 or -1.

Say you won an altering point.
When you alter the reputation of someone else, you will give +2 or -2.

Say you are an admin.
When you alter the reputation of someone else, you will give +10 or -10.

Heck, from what I gather, most people over on the vbulletin forum are confused as well.....

Bekah
08-20-2004, 05:24 PM
LOL Rich! I don't know whether that helped me or confused me more! Brain hurts...must not think for the next hour or so! LOL!

rolph1414
08-20-2004, 05:32 PM
Ok Bekah...

I added to your rep power...spread the wealth if you would!!

Bekah
08-21-2004, 01:51 AM
I spread the wealth to you Rolph! And thanks for spreading back! (The wealth that is)! LMAO

Did I ever mention that I LOVE brownies (subliminal message)? Especially when they're SPREAD (subliminal message) with chocolate icing!!

I'm still waiting for a trade on my Betty Crocker points...lotta good products ol' Betty has to offer!

LOL...I have to stop..this post is making me too silly! LOL! That and it's waaay past my bed time and I get siller the later it gets!

I say we organize a "Spreading Association"...spread to those who deserve it...who never post offensively or make rude remarks...to those who offer advice and try to help the best they can...to those who we've become close to and enjoy chatting with! Spread the word to spread the wealth!

Serpwidgets
08-21-2004, 10:35 PM
So what you're saying is that, basically, reputation on the forums is like money to people who breed ball python morphs: it can be created in a vacuum by a magical ponzai scheme. ;)

Bekah
08-21-2004, 10:51 PM
Nah...not necessarily like money. That's taking it a bit out of context and we have been doing quite alot of joking around here on the topic, but I honestly do believe that those who deserve should get and people should be willing to share. What's the point in being stingy if someone's really helped you or even at least offered up some advice. If it was like money, I'd be scrubbing floors for it! LOL!

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
08-21-2004, 11:05 PM
OK I got it and I did give out a few but will be glad to get/give some more, also it sounds like someone named brownie is looking for women around age 49, available? Is this true THEN....a cornsnake mating game? Should I send pictures? Sam ~~~~~~~:~

Rich Z
08-21-2004, 11:49 PM
In case you all haven't found it, there is a Lonely Hearts Club Forum (http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=620) on the FaunaClassifieds site.

Serpwidgets
08-22-2004, 11:49 AM
What's the point in being stingy if someone's really helped you or even at least offered up some advice.You see it as being stingy. I see the "rep" thing as silly, and pointless, and childish.

I don't come here to ask people to tell me who or what I'm supposed to be. It seems to me that people who are obsessing over what other people think of them are desperate to be popular, but never are, and think that it will bring some kind of meaning to their life. The thing they never figured out is that it doesn't... self-esteem is hollow.

I don't concern myself with how nice or rude or whatever someone else is in their posts, so it doesn't occur to me to run around patting everyone on the back. I don't care about being popular because I have self-respect. It is not something someone else handed to me, it's something I earned and cannot be given or taken away by something as meaningless as "reputation," especially amongst a bunch of people who really know next to nothing about me.

You are welcome to think I'm stingy. I will continue to think that the advice and information I provide here is valuable, and that "rep" is people trying to make a big deal out of something that holds no value in itself.

Bekah
08-22-2004, 01:41 PM
I think some people may be getting the wrong impression...there was a lot of goofinf around on this topic and we were having fun playing with something and trying it out! Let me respond to your post:

You see it as being stingy. I see the "rep" thing as silly, and pointless, and childish.

I never personally called anyone stingy...I'm just trying to say that if someone has helped another, the rep thing is a good way to go...you can put in a word of thanks in the comments. And no one ever said that it was a MANDATORY thing. No one is forced to comply, there is no law regarding the whole rep thing. If you see it as silly, don' bother with it, that's all.

I don't come here to ask people to tell me who or what I'm supposed to be. It seems to me that people who are obsessing over what other people think of them are desperate to be popular, but never are, and think that it will bring some kind of meaning to their life. The thing they never figured out is that it doesn't... self-esteem is hollow.

I don't ask anyone to tell me who I am either...I am who I am - love it or lump it! And no one here has ever asked me to be someone else nor have I tried. I'm not trying to view it as a popularity game...but I do believe in giving thanks and showing gratitude where it is due. I think alot of the members here are good summaritans and I don't believe that it should be overlooked.

I don't concern myself with how nice or rude or whatever someone else is in their posts, so it doesn't occur to me to run around patting everyone on the back. I don't care about being popular because I have self-respect. It is not something someone else handed to me, it's something I earned and cannot be given or taken away by something as meaningless as "reputation," especially amongst a bunch of people who really know next to nothing about me.

That's fine...I've even said that myself...if you don't like what someone has to say you can always choose to ignore it rather than adding fuel to the fire. Again, I don't believe this is an issue of popularity. You give reps and post where, when and if you want... and if someone wants to give you a pat on the back, let them.

You are welcome to think I'm stingy. I will continue to think that the advice and information I provide here is valuable, and that "rep" is people trying to make a big deal out of something that holds no value in itself.

I don't believe I have ever had direct conversation with you besides your one other post here and therefore would be unable to judge you let alone tell you that you were stingy. Perhaps you mistook what was said. Besides, it's a free world we have the freedom to make our own choices and what you want to do is soley up to you. But I do believe that what you sow is what you reap. Provide information if that is what brings you joy...no one will stop you from doing so (as many are here to help as well as learn), but at the same time keep in mind that there are those of us who may care to use the rep thing (to each his own). Your ideas are respected - all I ask is that those of others are as well.

No offense taken and none intended.

Serpwidgets
08-22-2004, 04:05 PM
Your ideas are respected - all I ask is that those of others are as well.Calling someone stingy because they don't think the way you do is not "respect."

You don't have to respect my ideas. Not all ideas are worthy of respect. The difference is that I don't say it is bad to do something while at the same time I am doing exactly that.

moonshadow
08-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Ok, I'm confused! Where do you check out your rep points? My user cp says nothing about rep points! Do you guys have a section that tells you how many you have and who gave them to you for which post? :shrugs:

Bekah
08-23-2004, 12:20 AM
Calling someone stingy because they don't think the way you do is not "respect."

You don't have to respect my ideas. Not all ideas are worthy of respect. The difference is that I don't say it is bad to do something while at the same time I am doing exactly that.

I think you misunderstood me. I NEVER called YOU stingy. I was voicing my opinion and it was not directed to YOU. In fact it was not directed at ANYONE in particular. It was MY opinion. You seem to want to talk in circles and put me on the defensive. I don't want to argue with you and I don't want to argue with anyone else. In fact I give up. If you want to continue to argue about something you yourself have said is "silly and childish" than it is MY opinion to believe THAT is "silly and childish".

Bekah
08-23-2004, 12:25 AM
moonshadow,

If you click on the scales of your own post that will tell you how many point you have. Somewhere in your user CP there is a listing of who gave you those points and comments (if any) they may have left. Hope that helps!

Serpwidgets
08-23-2004, 05:52 PM
I think you misunderstood me. I NEVER called YOU stingy.Riiiiiiiiight. When you make a blanket statement about a bunch of people, guess what? It applies to all of those people whether or not you name them all individually. Duh.

It was MY opinion.Yes, and I never said it wasn't, nor did I ever say your opinion was not valid. You stated your opinion, I stated mine. Gee whiz, maybe some people just think differently than you and it has nothing to do with being stingy. What's the problem?

Apparently you had some kind of problem with that. Because then you tried to dance around your own statements saying you didn't say what you said, or that you didn't mean what you meant, or trying to guilt me into retracting my own opinion by throwing around some dogmatic statement about "respect" which you obviously do not ever intend to practice yourself.

You seem to want to talk in circles and put me on the defensive.My position didn't change. Yours did with every post... I simply stated my opinion in the same type of blanket statement you made. And then, boo-frickety-hoo, you threw a hissy fit and got all defensive about it. :sobstory:

kenster
08-23-2004, 07:21 PM
Serp, I see you're making "friends" again :rolleyes: you keep that up and you're never going to get any x-mas cards :santa: . Well you will get one from me, eventhough i haven't talked to ya in forever. Do you remember how to use yahoo IM?? I need to get down there to visit you and bring home some nice snakes...

Take care buddy and TRY to play nice would ya :cheers:

cka
08-23-2004, 08:26 PM
hmmm...had to read the whole thread (for once)...It kinda sounds like something fun to do with friends online, but I don't think you should base someones "rep" on how many times they post or answer a thread...I must be missing the point (possible) or maybe my feelings are just hurt from a low rep reading, i don't know...Charles, like kenster said, play nice hehe...btw keep up the good work with the ever expanding lines of hypo's , too; been really interesting following y'all's developments with them (I'll stick to my one regular ol' hypo for now :) )

Serpwidgets
08-23-2004, 08:51 PM
Take care buddy and TRY to play nice would ya :cheers:LMAO. Do or do not: there is not try. :D

And yeah, get your butt down here sometime and visit. We still have your birthday present waiting for you.

Hurley
08-23-2004, 09:31 PM
And by the way, do YOU know how to turn on messenger, Mr. Kenster? Haven't seen ya in forever and a week. :rolleyes:

kenster
08-24-2004, 01:31 AM
LMAO. Do or do not: there is not try. :D

And yeah, get your butt down here sometime and visit. We still have your birthday present waiting for you.

You didn't inflate it yet did you :rofl: I'll get down there soon, been kinda busy up here..

Hurley, yeah i know it's been quite sometime since I have been on IM. I took a new role here at work and have not been in front of a PC in a while. But now things are back to "normal" and I have my PC all set up with IM, so i'm sure you'll see me and get sick of me in a weeks time! Now that I get to sit in my pretty blue prison (AKA my cubicle) I'll be around a lot more....

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
08-25-2004, 09:12 PM
LOL.....all this fun mixed together with all these feelings emotions, opinions....kinda feels like a ..a...a....RELATIONSHIP!!!!!!!ahahs0000oooo WHY CAN"T I GET A DAte!!!!!!!!! :eek1: iAM 49 JUST LIKE THE OTHER guy....rICH GEts a BROWNIE POINT FOR POINTING OUT THE MATCH MAKING SITE....IF ONLY i COULD FIND IT,,,,,,, SAM ~~~~~~~~:~

produs
09-24-2004, 01:42 PM
hey people i have notbeen on for a long time but all i was saying was if any one needed help i would be than happy to help them any way i can wit hwhat little brain i have well what the heck is brownie point hu hu hu can you tell me that hehe :crazy02:

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
09-25-2004, 08:55 AM
I can't believe it! You haven't gotten anything yet, even with all the bribing you've been doing...ok here goes one for you...one for me...:0)sam ~~~~~~~~~:~

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
09-25-2004, 08:58 AM
How come it says 0 but when I go to give you a point, it tells me I need to spread it around a little first? uhmmm sam ~~~~~~~~~~:~

Susan
09-26-2004, 10:09 PM
produs and PSYCOSNAKEMOM,

You each got some points, just for making me laugh at the end of a long day watching Hurricane Jeanne.

produs
09-27-2004, 11:14 AM
produs and PSYCOSNAKEMOM,

You each got some points, just for making me laugh at the end of a long day watching Hurricane Jeanne.

well thanks for the brownie point but what the heck are they ??

Osama............................................. .....George W Bush
(I think im going to die).......................(What made you guess that)
:uzi:------> <--------------------------- :madeuce: