• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How Child Friendly?

Missymonkey

I am getting my first corn in a month or so and was wondering how friendly she will be. I know that you can't really generalize disposition or personality but are corns more child friendly? I would like to bring her into my kindergarden classroom as a class pet or a class frequent visitor. I am not a teacher just yet I still have a year till I student teach, so I can prepare her if possible for a class of fifteen or so five year olds. If the school permits a pet snake I would like to; early exposure is key to bringing down stereotypes and getting kids thinking not just about hamsters and guinea pigs but also our more scaley friends. What do you guys think?:confused:

Be CAREFUL!

My 4 yr. old has been around my corns basicly ALL her life. She knows how to handle them, and when to leave them alone. I think it would be Great. As long as you can keep the kids away while you're Not around. (i know....DUH!) Mine are VERY "kid friendly". She can reach in and get them out, no problems. I'm right beside her, so IF she acts like they're getting away. They WON'T be dropped. :cool: Good Luck!

Reactions: CAV
Just like Melissa my three are handle often by my five year old brother in law, and the older kids my wife baby sits for. Before they handle the snake I tell them how to handle the snakes and not to be rough or drop them. I also incourage them to wash their hands after handling(I tell to wash after playing with the cats too). Corns are the best beginner snakes.

Although some are more jumpy and wouldn't be as great with kids because they'd constantly be trying to run away, you should be able to easily find a tame cornsnake. I'd be more concerned about kids handling it and accidentally hurting it.

Also, keep in mind that reptiles carry salmonella in their digestive tracts. It is very very important to wash hands, keep hands out of mouths, etc.

naturally..

hello,
well first of all corns probably would be one of the most human freindly. It's getting your kids to be snake-friendly that can be the trick. Animals have to be handled carefully and cornsnakes are very fragile snakes so always suprivisor your children if you let them touch it. I wish my grade 7 teach would bring in a snake for us but i guess he can't. Your stunts are very lucky:) . Just rember that there carful small kids tent to get a bit excited around animals. Take my bros cat for example he's very friendly unless petted the wrong way my 3 year old cousin came over accidently pet him the rwrong way and WAAP he clawed her. Doubt a snake would do that wouldn't hurt anyway just make sure there carefull:) goodluck!

Great idea.
Cornsnakes are great, friendly pets.
However, they are awful young. I don't know if I'd let them hold it, but let it be more of an observation pet. Or you can hold it and let them touch it. Remember to make them wash their hands! Good luck!

ouch

I was going to take my snakes to a show and tell in my 4 year old daughters class, I had to rethink this as one day i was cleaning out their tank my boyfriend had hold of my adult ghost and he somehow tagged my daughter right on the nose. However my charcoal corn is placid and chilled but sometimes these things happen but my snakes wont be visiting school. My daughter is cool with the snakes now but it can really upset little people if they do attack.

Serpwidgets said:
Also, keep in mind that reptiles carry salmonella in their digestive tracts. It is very very important to wash hands, keep hands out of mouths, etc.

I read somewhere (sorry I'm unable to relocate my source) that children under five years of age are prone to a greater Salmonella illness, should they become infected, due to their undeveloped immune systems. Also old people and folks with immune deficiencies, but that kind of goes without saying.

Actually thats a really good point i always make sure my daughter washes up after handling the snakes but that is a very imprtant point to bare in mind.

Back