• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corns and Acrylics

Kilojara16

Reptile Cartoonist
I found some things to use as hides for my up coming hatchling. One is a box that has one open side and is white inside. Do you think painting the inside black so it's dark inside would make it more comfortable? Is acrylic paint safe? The bottle says it's non toxic, but I'm assuming thats for humans.

Depends. . .

I believe if it is non-toxic to humans it should be OK for snakes. Acrylics are basically plastic anyway, which is commonly used for all kinds of snake needs. However, if it is an artist's acrylic, or even a latex house paint, humid conditions over a period of time could cause the paint to start peeling off if the surface of your box is smooth. So, you could either sand the box to make a rough surface for the acrylic to hold onto or seal it with a water based polyurethane to be safe. Or both. I find acrylics very easy to peel off of silky-smooth surfaces like plastic, so maybe a shedding corn would, too.

And while you're at it--you have a knack for art-- you should think about painting the outside of the hide box, too. I'm sure that your new baby would appreciate having a beautiful, as well as cozy home!!

I don't think the snake will really care, unless it's normally skittish... but yeah, acrylic paint is safe to use...that and latex paint are commonly used for painting snake cages.

Back