• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Science News

interesting...now is this something real, or just a fabrication to get laughs?

The Onion is a "joke newspaper" - very funny, but don't take any of it seriously. They do write some quite clever articles from time to time

huh...this is the first time that I have heard of it. Thanks for the info Skye

Skye got it, it's a joke, though they would probably prefer "satire". It's the only thing that I can count on to brighten my Wednesday.

it was quite a laugh though. but I wonder what the scientists that work with them really think. My dad worked in the reptile building at college when he was in school, and his job was to take care of the lab rats that were raised for feeders. He hates mice and rats with a passion, yet he raised them. Kind of funny when you think about it.

At first I found that really disturbing until I realised it was a joke! Our world is so crazy it's so easy to believe something like this.

Guess it's my fault for not giving a humor alert in the posting. I know The Onion so well I assusmed everyone did. Well, we all know what happens when we assume....

But to discuss PCAR's observation, there is probably a a huge dichotmy of emotion regarding the raising of the little vermin. I recall reading a funny definition of mice that went along the lines of "a amll rodent, that when killed in sufficent numbers under controlled conditions yields a doctoral thesis." There is a lot of truth under that humor, and my guess is that most scientists do see them as a means to an end. My snakes just see then as meals...

It's the first time i've heard of it but it's gone in my favorates.
Thanks for sharing it, I'll keep an eye out on future editions and articles.

Back