• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Iowa?

TheCornSnakeKid

I am the corn snake kid!
Are there wild corns in the far east (and I mean way east) ends of Iowa? I'm just curious because if there are, I'm gonna be spending alto more time outside this summer :)

I found a juvenile Emory last summer in west central Iowa. I don't think corns reach this far, but Emory's certainly do.

If you are looking for genus Elaphe...you may find an Emory's (Great Plain's Ratsnake -- Elaphe emoryi) but I think your chances are greater for finding a Western Fox Snake (Elaphe vulpina) or even a Eastern Ratsnake (Elaphe obsoleta), probably subspecies Black Rat Snake...as opposed to Yellow (coastal from Florida to North Carolina) or Gray (Mississippi River basin from Mississippi to Kentucky).
These snakes distribution is much wider spread in the area of south eastern Iowa and Central Western Illinois.
*The genus, Elaphe, has been split and all the above snakes have been reclassified Genus Pantherophis instead of Elaphe...just hard to make the change :)

The link below will take you to the Iowa Herpetology Website.
If you click the reptiles tab...it will give you a list of all the reptiles found in the state of Iowa...with information and pictures on each, as well as a distribution map. This will provide you an excellent resource for field herping in your area...if you find any snakes (or other herps) that are NOT registered in your county...please contact them...and take pictures. Confirming distribution of the different species is a big help to the people who conduct these surveys as well as conservation efforts.

http://www.herpnet.net/Iowa-Herpetology/

I grew up in Mt. Vernon and spent lots of my time outside herping while hunting mushrooms, deer and turkey. Besides the usual garter snakes and water snakes, I found lots of fox snakes, and bullsnakes. Even caught a blue racer and prairie kingsnake turkey hunting in Shimek state forest once, but never ran across any corns. That's not to say there aren't any, cause who really knows. :shrugs:

Yeah I catch tons of Foxs, garters, bulls, and even the occansionaly 5 lined racer skink. Never seen a king or a rat though.... Thanks for all the help.

Five lined skinks are BEAUTIFUL when they are juveniles...
The yellow orange in their stripes and the beautiful iridescent blue in their tail is amazing...

Used to catch them in Michigan.

Good luck this year...hope you find something interesting.

Tha midwest has some really purdy critters. You might naught find a corn, but you can still learn somin by seein how they live. Snakes in general are amazin to watch an Emory rat is jus as lovely as a corn.

Hum, that Iowa site had more on it than I've ever seen. I live in southeast Iowa, I just might have to go hunting this summer too. I would love to find a skink. I didnt know we had those around here. All I've ever caught in iowa is frogs, toads, and garter snakes... oh water snakes too... anyway How Exciting!

Anything that I can catch in Canada?...South Ontario to be more specific .

For an actual answer to your question you can find garters, milksnakes, eastern hognose, blk. ratsnakes, red bellied snakes and a long list of turtles and frogs along with 1 or 2 species of skinks I believe. Not exactly sure of the local but if you are really really lucky there are always Massassauga Rattlers too but these are very hard to find from what I'm told.

I know I'm missing a couple of snakes from that list but that's the best I can do from memory.

Back