• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

field collecting advice

redrott

I live in virginia and am planning to go field collecting this year. I have never been and was wondering when is the best time of day and year to go out and look Any help would be appreciated.

A lot depends on what species you are looking for and the range of daytime temperatures where you live. Field herping can be done from March-November depending on those two factors.

You will need to become very comfortable in visually identifying the snakes in your area, BOTH VENOMOUS AND NON-VENOMOUS. Invest in a couple of high quality Field Guides like Peterson's or Alan Tennant's.

Check out Internet sites specifically focused on field herping. They offer a great deal of help, locations and suggestions. You might also see if you can link up with a local herp club. Many clubs schedule outing throughout the year.

redrott said:
I live in virginia and am planning to go field collecting this year. I have never been and was wondering when is the best time of day and year to go out and look Any help would be appreciated.

You've only got 4 venomous snakes to worry about, I believe.

Northern Copperhead, Eastern Cottonmouth, Canebrake Rattlesnake, and Timber Rattlesnake.

Most states further north only have to worry about the Northern Copperhead and the Timber Rattler, but you've got an extra rattlesnake to worry about along with the cottonmouth.

A lot of people further north seem to think that the Northern Water Snake is in fact a cottonmouth--they do look a bit similar, but that's not true.

Anyway, those are your 4 vemomous snakes so as long as you know what they look like you're good to go.

You've got a wide range of non-venomous snakes to work with too. Corn, Black Rat, Eastern King, Mole King, Hognose, a few ringnecked snakes, mud snake, Eastern Black King, Eastern Milk, rough and smooth green snakes, etc etc.

field herping

I am looking for rats, corns, garters, copperheads, kings, I live in Pittsylvania county the only venomous around is the copperhead. What types of areas should I look.

The field guides I suggested give good descriptions of habitat and habits.

Soapbox moment:

I'm going to get preachy for a minute. You need to rethink collecting venomous reptiles, especially since you are inexperienced, uneducated and untrained in employing the proper techniques for capturing one. The last thing you want is to get tagged by one, I PROMISE. ;)

SAFETY NOTE: You also need to make sure you go with a partner and ensure someone is aware of your exact location and expected time of return. This is a golden rule for any field outing.

Many of the snakes I have found were under discarded man made junk , old plywood things like that if that stuff is on the side of the woods even better. In spring I have found many ratsnakes in the same day just crossing my path on a trail through the woods.

Last edited:
field collecting

Okay what about fields on the edge of woods. Also is it better to go at dusk or night or early morning or what.

I've found that it depends on the time of year and how warm it is. Of the kinds you're looking for, we only have rats and garters up here (we have copperheads too but I generally don't try get real close to them if I can help it...lol), and of those two, I usually find them at different times of the day. I'm not entirely sure why, but once it starts getting pretty warm outside throughout most of the day, you won't usually find many snakes until dusk or at night (dunno about dawn, I've only gone out then a few times...usually by that time I'm out finding owls, not snakes :)). Dusk has always been a good time for me up here in PA, so I'd say go then if it's in the middle of summer. If it's early in the season though, try midday because they'll be out sunning.

Also, try driving on back roads at night with a spotlight. If you go slowly, you can often see them getting warmed up in the middle of the road (which is why you should pay attention). If you've got somebody else in the vehicle, give them the spotlight and have them check around the ditches as well...we usually find a lot there. Good luck!

Back