• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Which kind of snake

DreaminR6

I am pretty new to snakes, and I was wondering what I should get. I have narrowed it down to either a cornsnake, or a milksnake. Here's some info. I have a 20-gallon tank already, and don't want to have to buy a different one, at least for a little while. Will want to handle it at least once a day, so a well mannered snake would be best. Thanks.

Adding to that, milksnakes are a little more "flighty," although no hatchling is going to "enjoy" being handled. Milks are just less calm in general, although black milks are an exception, they are WAY too big for a 20 gallon in no time!

I kept going back and forth between these two snakes for several months last year and early this year before I decided on a corn. I'll tell you why I chose what I did. I won't bother going over why corns are good (this is a corn snake forum, just look around and you'll find thousands of examples why). Milks are good too, but when I sat right down and made a list of good/bad things of each species, the milks had more negatives than the corns.

Do you want this snake to show other people or just to say that you have it? From what everyone on the milksnake forum told me (keep in mind these are the people who should be pushing for getting one), they like to hide a LOT. I want to be able to use my snake in an educational setting, so that was a negative point on my list.

You want to handle it at least once a day? The same people that told me they hide a lot also told me that the Mexican & Pueblan milks are very flighty when you pick them up, and sometimes even musk or bite. I was told that if you got one and it ended up being like this, it was likely never going to grow out of it.

I'm not saying "don't get milksnakes." I'm actually thinking of getting one this summer...but it sounds like this is your first snake, right? You'll want one that is going to put a positive spin on the situation. And by the way, on my list, the only negative "point" I had on the corns side was that they don't look as nice as milks in my opinion...but I can live with that.

2 more cents. If you are going to get a milk, Pueblans are the calmest tri-colors, in my experience. I bred them for a long time, they were squirmy, but possibly the least likely to bite, along with Sinaloans. Black milks are my fave, temperment-wise, but they get 7 feet long. And are jet black when grown.

Let's not forget annulata. The Mexican Milk Snake. IMO this is one of the best milks for a first timer.

Thanks for all the replies. I have cared for snakes before, but only for a couple weeks at a time. I think I will go with a corn. I don't want a snake that hides all day, every day. Now just to figure out which kind of corn to get. Oh goody, more research. Thanks again.

DreaminR6 said:
Thanks for all the replies. I have cared for snakes before, but only for a couple weeks at a time. I think I will go with a corn. I don't want a snake that hides all day, every day. Now just to figure out which kind of corn to get. Oh goody, more research. Thanks again.
Congratulations on your decision.
I have nine corns
They hide all day, every day :cheers:

I have over 100, counting yearlings. They hide all day, every day! Except when hungry or amorous. But still more "personable" than all but the black milk. Which is black.

Back