• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Web Site

CornCrazy

What's one more???
Hi everyone! I am working on moving my web site to a new location. I also decided to change the "look" of it quite a bit. I was hoping to get some feedback from all of you.

Here's a link to the new site:
The Snake House

And for comparison, here is the old site:
http://tmsnakes.tripod.com

All feedback welcomed! I have only gotten some of my corns posted on the new site so far. I will be working on getting the rest of my snakes listed soon.

Also, if you find any errors, please let me know!

Wow! Very nice Terri! The new site is cleaned up a lot and is much nicer on the eyes. Great work!

Thanks Howie! I was hoping that my change was for the good. I know I had trouble reading the old site. I figured it wasn't just me...

It's a lot of work trying to move the site because I have been re-doing everything, but I hope it is worth it in the long run. In additon to the style change, I also wanted to make the site easier to navigate. Did you find it easier to get around?

I thought it was easier to get around also. As soon as you open the corn snake page, everything was right there. I am sure there was a ton of work involved to move everything....

ok, there are 2 mains things that I would change:

Use simpler Buttons. They need a relativly long time to load and on your overview sites, you need to load lots of them. It's not that important for those with fast connections but there are also many people left with relativly slow connections.
Problem 2 (the main one...) is the filesize of your pictures. You are using thumbnails in 200x100px or so, but they have the same size (about 300kb!!!!) as your large pictures have. Perhaps there is a problem with your graphics program - we use jpg compression that leads to about 20kb for 300x200px - thats really enough for normal computer screens.

One main aspect is - if you have many different sites with big pictures, people don't go through every site. Sometimes, they wait 30 seconds to see 20 good pictures on one site - but clicking on one morph, waiting 5 seconds, see one picture, click back - next one => people will leave your site.

I think the rest is quite simple and plain - I like that a lot.

Hope I could help

Greetings

I had no problem opening anything up. It took 2-3 secs at most to open everything up. I personally like the size of the pics. I hate going to sites and barely seeing the snake.

Thanks for the feedback. I will work on the picture size as soon as I can. I am fairly new at web page building so I appreciate the help!

I'm not sure what I can do about the buttons to make them simpler. I've already made them into GIF files to try to help them load faster. It'll only be the corn snake page that's a problem, I think. I have WAY more corns than anything else.

I'll see what I can come up with, though.

I like it!

I recently changed my site to make it easier to read and navigate as well~ so I understand how much work it is! The problem here is~ I can't seem to make up my mind~ and keep going back to change and tweak it just a little more every week!

I like your site~ clean lines~ easy to navigate. Nice site!

OK...I changed the pics on the "amber corn" page to gif files. I think it helped some. Will you guys check to see if it loads faster?

I actually resized the pics to make thumbnails. It'll be more work, but the new thumbnails are less than 30KB in size. I hope that helps to load the "morph preview" pages faster.

I wouldn't recommend .GIF - the compression, especially for bigger pictures, is nat as good as in .JPG.
Perhaps you should try another graphics program. I personally use Photoshop, I can change the compression, see the filesize and also a preview, where I can decide whether quality is good enough or not.

The .GIF thing solved the problem, that your thumbnails where also very big - thats really better now!!! But I'm shure, that you could compress the files again without losing quality if you use .JPG as compression. (I mean the large files, not the thumbs)

@howiet I never talked about less pictures or smaller pictures - I was talking about filesize.

Menhir,

I'm glad that the thumbnails were fixed. Unfortunately, I cannot afford a new photo-editing program right now. It's either the larger jpegs or the gifs. That's as good as it gets right now :)

Yes, I see your problem. It seems, that the program doesn't get the compression right. I had such a program long time ago - no matter how small I made the pictures, the filesize stayd the same :-(
So, if you have some time left or so, editing pictures and the right compression can be interesting and is always an improvement of your site.

Wish you lot of fun "programming" and playing - I'll start that again in a few weeks :santa:

I wanted to post a special thanks to Caroline (girlsnake) for offering to compress my pictures into a smaller file size. She has already done the ones that I had on the corn page. I am in the process of changing all of the html files and uploading the new files and pics.

I am working my way through the morphs alphabetically. I have gotten to the caramel motleys...feel free to check it out! I will get the rest fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks again, Caroline! I appreciate your help!

The hard work shows Terri

Things look great. I didn't have any problems with any of it, and it is definitely easier to navigate than the previous site. Now maybe you can help Gary with his... :grin01:...or at least help me get him to update it (he's gonna kill me now :eek: :madeuce: )

Back