• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Anyone into Mountain Biking?

babbaloo99

I'm just getting in to it and looking to buy a good used full suspension bike. Just thought I'd see if anyone here had any pointers or thoughts. I'm kinda small, only 5'2" so I'm having trouble finding something good in my size. :(

I got a Hardrock from my local bike shop. They are very experienced, and set me up real well. I only wish I'd gotten shocks on it when I bought it. I may get some in the future, but for right now I only use it on patrol with the Sheriff's Volunteer Bike Patrol. You can also get mini shocks for the seat which my friend got, and he says it really makes a difference on long rides. Just make sure you go to a shop that knows what they're doing so that they can set you up with something that fits you properly and can service your bike as needed.

I got my full suspension back in '95, when it was still a relative novelty. It's a Trek ST-120 (discontinued), the precursor to their "Y" series...as for fit, I couldn't help you there, as I'm 6'2".

Here's a pic of my "steed", on the White Rim trail of Canyonlands National Park in Utah.....

regards,
jazz

Attachments

• mtnbikewhitecrack.jpg
    mtnbikewhitecrack.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 47
Hey, very nice! I was just there in Utah last August. We stayed in Arches and my hubby rode the slickrock trail. I'm still a novice and didnt' quite have the nerve to try the practice route. I'm just going to keep my eyes open for something used locally. I'm looking to spend in the $1200 range for something 1 to 2 years old with decent parts. Ah the joys of new toys...

Moab is to mountain biking as Mecca is to Islam. :)

I got to ride Slickrock about 4 days before that pic was taken. "Caught air" for the first time on that trail, and I had been riding for two years prior to that trip. It's just too difficult to do while riding the old railroad bed trails here in Wisconsin. ;)

I spent two days photographing Arches prior to taking this mountain biking/whitewater rafting trip. Little did I know that the hike to "Delicate Arch" was as long as it was; I would've planned on schlepping 75 lbs of 4x5 view camera gear a little more efficiently!

Anyhow, keep us posted on what you decide to purchase (just PLEASE don't get a Cannondale....imo, it's a beer can with pedals). :grin01:

regards,
jazz

cannondale

I've always liked CDs they ride pretty nice. I've owned Treks too and liked them as well but the smaller diameter frames of the Trek series I was riding quickly became second place to my Cannondale. I agree they are plump and round but they are light too.

Beautiful scenery you must have enjoyed out west. I remember passing through Arizona and New Mexico numerous times on I-40 and I-10 in route from San Diego to FLorida. Jeez one time I stopped in Gallup, NM for the night and it was 50 degrees when I checked into the hotel. The next morning I woke to find my Honda covered in snow....talk about a surprise.

Russ

Gee Jazz, you sound like my hubbie. He schlepped his big old hunkin camera up there to (delicate arch). Plus we had my 3 and 5 year old that hiked most of it, but I had to schlepp the 3 yr old for a little bit on the way up. Ah, but the view was worth it. And the boys made it down on their own.

I'm taking a look at two Specialized FSRs this weekend, plus I found a sweet looking 2004 Rocky Mountain SL70 that's quite a bit outta my range. I just gotta be patient....I'll post of pic of what I finally wind up with. Thanks for the input guys/gals.

Back