• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

can pinkies be refrozen!?

laura & dave

hi there!

im new to this borad, bought a male Snow Corn on sunday, hes great! hes a little baby.

i have been told that he needs feeding every wednesday 1 pinky a week, i live a fair way from any pet stores and was wondering if they defrosted could i refreeze them?

lets pray he eats

and i read on the site that defrosting in warm water is good

Welcome to the forum.

Yes you can refreeze it but it is better to do it only one time. If it is a baby, you can feed it every 5-7 days. You can buy more than one mouse and keep them in your freezer so you will not have to go every week. You can bring an icepak with you when you go to your petshop so the mice stay frozen until you get home.

Warm water is perfect to defrost them. And if you can, make 4 tinny cuts with an exacto on the back of the mouse when it is thaugh before giving it to the snake. It will help the snake to better assimilate the mouse.

Good Luck and don't hesitate if you have other questions.

Welcome

Welcome to the forum

I'm new myself, but as far as i know it is safe to refreeze a pinky, just not iver and over again. If your to far from the pet store there are a few places online that you can buy frozen mice....some of them are in bulks of 100, or 50. That might be a little much just for one, but I hope it helps.
Good luck with your new addition

excellent thankyou for your help. my partners mum is picking me up 4 today, so i will keep them in the freezer when i get them, looking forward to his first feeding!

can i ask is an exacto a form of knife/surgical blade
Thanks

GREAT FREAKIN QUESTION!!! Why do I say that.....cuz I came on here today to ask the EXACT question.....just got 2 newer guys n went to try n feed em n both were stubborn, I had already refroze the pinkies, but was checking prior to feeding them.....

thanks for the input guys!!

BTW Im newer as well, but welcome to the board!!

About the most refreezing does is break down some of the proteins and other nutrients, potentially making the pinky a little less nutritious, but I will warn you, a thawed, refrozen, thawed pinky becomes very friable/fragile/easy to have the abdomen burst open. Just a warning. :D It won't harm the snake unless it was left long enough before refreezing to start to smell. :p

ah yes, we can them stanley knifes in england

i fed my snake this morning before leaving for work, at first he seemed to not want it, but eventually he sat at the back of his viv, and slowly opened his mouth and ate it, took him a while but it all went down which im happy about

i put the pinky in warm water to warm it up a bit, and it smells so much. i got the fresh, my partners mum froze them, by the time i got home from picking them up they defrosted so i cleaned them up, and refroze them. left one out to thaw overnight.

didnt realise how much they smell hehe

a pinkie only takes about an hour to defrost, and in warm water it takes about 10 mins, dont leave it out over night thats why it started to smell bad. and i would advise that you dont feed you snake in it's viv get another tub to feed him in, as he will associate that tub with food and not his viv so he will not try to bite your hand when your picking him up out of his viv, and if he get's put in a diff tub to get fed he will know when it's feeding time.

excellent advise thankyou

i will do that next wednesday when its feeding time take 2.. do pinkies "go off" if left out too long? :flames:

Sorry to go against the grain here, and I know I may well be wrong, but I always thought that refreezing was a bad idea.. I had some terribly foul-smelling mice recently (after defrosting) and took the pack back to the store as they advised me to over the phone.
They decided there was "something wrong" with them and said it was probably the breeder who had let them thaw out and refroze them. They went on to emphasise that I should never do this, and I assured them the thought hadn't ever entered my mind (I'd rather throw an uneaten mouse away and use a new one another day).

Were they wrong to say this, and refreezing is harmless? Or does the refreezing rule only apply to pinks?

um i think it really depends on how long they are defrosted, once you refreeze them it does break down some protion and if u leave them out tooo long bactera will start to eat it away. i would say if u left it out for and hour or 2 it is fine but i think overnight might be too long, but just dont take my advice, i dont know much on the subject

Back