• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Non-Medelian Genetics

Mike B

Hi everyone. After observing this forum for a couple of months I decided to finally make my first post. Just so you know I am the proud owner of one plain ole' normal corn(named Macaroni for some reason that is escaping me now). I have been noticing that the morphs of corn snakes, for the most part, seem to follow simple Medelian genetic pathways. I was wondering if there are any morphs, patterns, colors, etc, that are governed by non-Medelian genetic pathways (codominance, incomplete dominance, sex linkage, etc.) I guess the only one I know of so far is bloodred which seems to be governed by codominance (thanks to SerpWidget's excellent site). Any input will be greatly appreciated. By the way, I'd like to thank all of the "regulars" of this forum for posting so much helpful info (which has really helped me through my early stages of corn snake ownership and made it a real pleasure).
-Mike B

Quite a few, actually. :)

Miami, Okeetee, candycane, and sunglow are all governed by something more than "a gene."

The heterozygous state of Motley/Striped in corns seems to be able to produce a huge array of pattern effects.

SilverQueen is still unknown. The mechanism behind the ultra-red coloration on the "pure" bloodreds is also a mystery at this point.

Some will tell you that hets for Caramel and (at least certain lines of Hypo) can be visually distinguished from their non-het siblings. (I don't have the experience with these to say one way or another if it's true, but it would suggest incomplete dominance.)

Hypo itself seems to be a big mess. I don't want to even go there right now because I haven't caught up with all, or even much of, the data that's out there.

And of course the new thing that Frank Pinello hatched this year, looks like it might be a piebald-like trait, but who knows if it will turn out to be genetic. (I hope it does, wheee!)

Tons of fun left in the corn world. :)

The Zigzag pattern is also confusing. You can breed well- zigzaged parents and get non-zigzaged offspring, and breed a zigzag to an unrelated, non-zigzag and get some zigzag offspring. The pic is a resulting example of a zigzag bred to a non-zigzag.

Back