• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake trails . . . ??

Drizzt80

Dakota Corns
Got to thinking today (I know dangerous . . ) while I was watching one of my female snows traveling her cage after eating. I've noticed that every one of my corns has a 'trail' in their aspen that they seem to have carved out either on top or underneath. My 'hmmm?' moment comes in wondering if any of you that have been out field herping (I haven't) have seen anything like this that could be discerned as being snake specific? Or, is this just learned cage behavior similar to the pacing that big cats will do in a zoo?

:shrugs:

D80

I would think that unless an area has no other animal morement activity in it, that any "trails" left by snakes would be obliterated pretty quickly. I have noticed tunnels and paths like what you describe under tin, wood and a few other large ground cover items, and have found snakes either moving in those areas or sitting where they stop. So I would guess that you could find snake trails in the field if you look hard enough. Look for tunnels in tall thick grasses, a "u" shape cut in soft short grass or in leaf litter.

Not sure when/if I'll ever get out, but was just overwhelmed with curiousity as I was thinking about it. I know I often follow rabbit and deer trails when hunting, but it's because they use them regularily. So was checking if anyone found similar (snake) trails while out herping as I'd think it would indicated regular use of a known trail as opposed to random meandering by snakes. Territory would be something to think about as well I guess.

Thanks for the response! Anyone else have an experience/observation to share?
D80

I too use game trails, deer, and rabbit here in TX, and when I lived in NY, black bear. But it does make some kind of sense. Especially if there is a particular area that only has one water source and there is really only one "safe" way to get there, I am sure that there would be some evidence of snake activity/movement in the area.

From what I have noticed, and what I gather you saw, snakes are creatures of habit just like most other animals. So that means that they will probably tend to use the same water supply and possibly the same routes to and from it. I will have to keep my eyes open and see if I notice anything this season while I am out.

Back