• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How To Get Ride Of Smell???????

MikeSaw23

Never Enough!
Hey all, I breed mice for my corn snakes it is that nasty smell that drives me nuts. HOW CAN I GET RIDE OF THAT????
TIPS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Try removing everything and clean everything with a mild bleach solution. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but 5 parts water to one part bleach should work.

I think 1 part bleach and 10 parts water is the maximum suggested concentration for bleach to work properly. BTW, make sure you rinse VERY well.

MikeSaw23 said:
What do you mean by (PART)???
A 'part' is any measurement (liter, gallon, ounce, cup, etc.) Moreover, 1 part bleach to 10 parts water refers to the ratio of bleach and water that should be used. The 1 part of bleach can be any type of measurement, as long as the 10 parts water is of that same measurement (e.g. 1 cup bleach to 10 cups water or 1 ounce bleach to 10 ounces water). I personally use a 1:7 ratio (1 part bleach: 7 parts water) for cleaning vivs (usually cups), then I rinse thoroughly with clean water.

Plus folks. Heres another thing. If you find that they stink more then ever after you've washed everything like that don't touch the essentials like the food bowl, wheel, and other things like that. they've marked it as theirs so don't bother washing them. I never wash the wheel, food bowl and the cage it self. Because i noticed my mice reek after a few hours. So i leave the essential things like that alone and just change the litter and bedding. Makes it easier on me. Because then they don't have to go and mark everything all over again. Another thing you and try and do is putting a drop or twp of vanilla in their water. It also helps take down the smell (or so our mind thinks, and for all we know they reek like crazy and we've adjusted to it. :grin01: )

I just switched my 1.3 colony in a 10gal from aspen shavings to aspen supreme pellets and it makes a HUGE difference. A full day later now and I can't smell anything even with my nose right above the screen. With shavings it would start stinking already. Carefresh was the worst, that would stink within hours of cleaning

you put on 1 or 2 drops of vanilla extract into their water and its takes the smell away a far bit.

Back