• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake/Mice proximity

Joejr14

Grand Bubble Burster
For about the next month I'm forced to keep the snakes in the living room until I can move the rest of my stuff into a bedroom that is opening up. There's a few spaces left on my snake rack at the bottom and I'd love to have a little mouse production for later this summer when things start to hatch.

Would it be a huge problem to have mice at the bottom of the snake rack for a few weeks until they could be moved into a room and seperated?

I only ask because I was in Petco and they actually had some very healthy, cool looking mice. A few black eyed white mice, some tan and white spalshed ones, a solid black male, along with another grey/white spalshed long haired male.

Anywho, what say you?

I think it depends a lot on the snake, stong feeders may be more on edge as they keep looking for the food they smell. Most shouldnt be too stressed out because of it due to them encountering all the smells out in the wild, and after awhile most will just get used to it. As long as none of the snakes are large enough to be dangerous (such as boas and bigger species) I dont see much of a problem with it, especially if they are all kept well fed. Be sure to have a seperate place to put them though just in case. I've had rats, rabbits, and finches in the same room with snakes who would eat them, and I really didnt see any difference in the snakes behaviour being in the same room.

Joejr14 said:
For about the next month I'm forced to keep the snakes in the living room until I can move the rest of my stuff into a bedroom that is opening up. There's a few spaces left on my snake rack at the bottom and I'd love to have a little mouse production for later this summer when things start to hatch.

Would it be a huge problem to have mice at the bottom of the snake rack for a few weeks until they could be moved into a room and seperated?

I only ask because I was in Petco and they actually had some very healthy, cool looking mice. A few black eyed white mice, some tan and white spalshed ones, a solid black male, along with another grey/white spalshed long haired male.

Anywho, what say you?

Joe,

I keep my snakes and my mice in the same room right now too. I haven't seen a pattern of agitation or feeding response in any way since moving the mice in there. I have 25 snakes and about the same number of mice. The only reason I plan on moving them is the smell. No matter how clean I keep the mice cages, they still have an odor. Since my snake room is warmer than the rest of the house, the odor is a little more intensified. Besides, the mice do better at lower temps than the snakes do, so I'll move them to my garage.

My daughters have really loved having the mice and are great at helping with them. We had a bit of a rocky start with some baby eating issues... but are really doing well now. Good luck!

Tonya

I keep my mice in the basement. It averages 55 - 60 degrees usually. They have been producing litters more often down there than when they were upstairs (in a room with alot of activity)

I check them every day & give them some small treat every time I go down :) Daily seed treat, or peanuts, or bread crust. (Their usual food is the Mazuri breeder rodent chow) They run over when I drum my fingers on the side of the tank, lol. But the rest of the time they have peace & quiet.

Do you think the mice might be disturbed by a predator (snake) smell so close? A few weeks is a short time though, they will probally be fine :)

well i have my mice(breeders) and Rats(pets) within 5 ft of all my snakes.. and never a problem.

I have a running mouse colony just under my corns tank and not even 3 feet away from my boa tank. And I've never had any problems.

Ive known people who literally raise their rodents right on top of their snakes enclosure. They claim to have never had any problems.

My main concerns would be this ...

Is this going to cause your snake to go off its feed? It is going to be constantly innundated with the smell of prey that it cant get to after so many failed attempts it may stop tryin to get that prey item ... There is an experiment that comes to mind involving a pike and some other fish ... the prey fish was put on the other side of a divider in the pikes tank. The pike repeatedly bashed into the divider until it was all beat up and bloody. Then they removed the divider between the 2 tanks ... the pike actually starved to death because it would no longer pursue that type of prey.

You are going to be covered in the preys scent everytime you walk into that room. Are you creating a situation where you are likely to get bit? Your arm/hand is the right temp ... covered in a little mouse scent it might just be attractive enough to take a stab at.

The one benefit I can think of is that if the snake escapes youll know where to find it.

Bryan

My main concerns would be this ... Iks this going to cause your snae to go off its feed?
You are going to be covered in the preys scent everytime you walk into that room. Are you creating a situation where you are likely to get bit? Your arm/hand is the right temp ... covered in a little mouse scent it might just be attractive enough to take a stab at.

The one benefit I can think of is that if the snake escapes youll know where to find it.

Bryan[/QUOTE]

Hi Bryan -

All very good concerns, however I have not had any issues like this. I've had my mice in the same room with my snakes for the past two months with negligible effects on my snakes. I have hatchlings to 3 year olds, 25 in all.

Tonya

I've done it for years and never seen a problem. I hate having them in the same room but sometimes that is the way life is. Just waiting to get the money to build another building for rodents only. The ideal temperature for mice is cooler...in the 70's and they will produce well in that range. Snakes, however, like it warmer which therein lies the conflict. Mine produce well, however, in the snake room in the 80 degree range and the only problem I have is smell. Darned things stink WAY before my snakes do. Wish I didn't have to breed them but sometimes snakes only want live!

Good luck

Same here. Snakes, mice & rats, all in the same room, within a couple feet of each other at most. Never seen any problems out of any of them.

Back