• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

breeding worth it?

albinoscooby

From birth, it takes mice about a month to grow up fully right? On average they pump out anywhere between 6 to 15 pinkies right? I figure since I only have one snake for a lil while longer, that I couldn't get rid of the pinks fast enough. I would like to breed some, but it would be a waste of mice. Seeing how he can only eat them every 10 days. My new girl will eat every 5. They have them about every two months right? I would probably have a lot of extra mice sitting around don't you think? My 5 footer couldn't eat a mouse/small rat + a pink could it?

If you only have two or three snakes, IMHO it isn't worth breeding mice. Unless of course your really into mice.
My answer - just get more snakes! :cheers:

LOL! That is a great solution to the question ;) Get more snakes.

I used the same logic on my Husband when I ordered "too many" frozen mice, so I needed more snakes to keep down the frozen snake population in my freezer. :rolleyes:

***edit***

OOps...

frozen MOUSE population is what I meant.

:headbang:

supply and demand. have to many mice. freeze your mice and get more snakes. lol have to many snakes? raise more mice. lol

these are all valied points. I feel bad freezing them though. I had to kill one eysterday and freeze him . I don't even know if my snake will eat them frozen though. I have never tried it. Since he has only eaten live, I don't know how he would react to it. Maybe I'll just buy them prefrozen if I did decide on it. Yeah two snkaes couldn't eat that many mice as fast as they produce them!

Ah, well since you feed live then the only option is get more snakes. And who said only another one? Its hatchling season, get a bunch!!! 10 or 12 or so.

I only have one snake and have a breeding trio of mice. Yes it is worth it, even with only one snake. For one thing, when you first have a litter if you snake is eating larger mice, you can feed a couple pinks at a time so you're set. It is definitely worth it, buying frozen is expensive. Plus mice are awesome to keep and breed. Lots of neat colours.

I really don't like mice, but my hatchlings are on their way and I always seem to get a couple of stubborn ones that will only eat live pinkies. Pet store around here charges a dollar apiece for those so I just got 1.2 mice to be prepared for the hatchlings.
My whole collection eats f/t, if I wasn't breeding snakes I wouldn't even consider keeping mice. It can take a while to get the young ones to switch to frozen so I'd rather have a supply of pinkies on hand than keep going to the pet store - besides the mice were free and I had a spare tank so it cost me $4 for a water bottle and a box of mouse chow, waaay cheaper!

thats true man. But the smell gets unbarable after a while doesn't it? If only I had monitors to eat extras that I want to get rid of lmao.

I have 3 colony's now of breeding mice. And one is in a tank. I've defiantly notice the tank starts to stink faster then the caged colonies. Caged colonies I notice get the "aeration" they need to whisk away the stink. Where as the stink gets trapped at the bottom because there is no fresh air getting to the ammonia smell and all that to clear it out. If you all know what I mean.

(Sorry if it's hard to understand im getting real tired)

I'm keeping mine right under the window A/C unit, the fan seems to be helping with the smell.
Also last time I was keeping 1.3 in a 10 gallon, and it got stinky fast, this time I'm using a 15 gallon and just 1.2 mice with a 2" layer of aspen. I never even see them, they have so much substrate they can just tunnel through it lol! But I think it's helping to not reek as badly.

shed'n my skin said:
I'm keeping mine right under the window A/C unit, the fan seems to be helping with the smell.
Also last time I was keeping 1.3 in a 10 gallon, and it got stinky fast, this time I'm using a 15 gallon and just 1.2 mice with a 2" layer of aspen. I never even see them, they have so much substrate they can just tunnel through it lol! But I think it's helping to not reek as badly.

lol that means when you need one you have to dig aorund for it huh? There isn't much airflow in my room, so that may not work as well. My window isn't always opened.

To comment back on topic, is it worth it, another big plus is that you control the health and quality of your feeders. By feeding the very best mix seeds, grains, fruits and chow, you can grow extremely healthy rodents, which makes healthy and nutritious meals for your snakes.

I plan on breeding rats when we have more room for this purpose. =)

Yeah I'd like to breed rats too, but dont have the space right now. My little corn is about 10 months old now, and yesterday she ate her first adult mouse.... not only was it her first adult mouse, but it was her first live mouse period! So if she can eat a full grown mouse at her size now, I'm sure she'd love rats once she gets full grown.

I breed rats... pretty easy to do. I have heard that mice stink more. I am currently thinking about starting a colony of mice to feed to hatchlings... tired of paying rodentpro etc. 100+ when I need small pinks, large pinks, and fuzzys.

Back