• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snakey Education- Taking Snakes to Schools

Hypancistrus

Does anyone here do this?? I think it would be the coolest thing in the world to take some snakes to schools, summer camps or day cares, and teach children not to fear them, and to understand their place in the environment.

The only thing I worry about (as a teacher) is the idea of someone sueing me if their child were bit or freaked out by the snake. And yet I have seen pics of 3 year olds lining up to touch a Burmese Python. Any thoughts on this??

(As I only have on hatchling corn- this is obviously not something I'd be doing a month from now! :lol:)

I dont go to schools, but I do go to many hands-on evens. The biggest thing is to not let them near the heads, and not let them have full control over the snake. Have one one kid at a time pet it, and tell them even before the snake comes out that they need to stay calm and quite or else the snake is going to be put away. If you do that, and watch the snakes body language it'll be fine.

I have three kids ages 6 - 10. For the last 2 years I have taken my snakes to each of their classes. I have also been asked by former teachers to bring the snakes in. I have had my kids come to where I work (sort of a day care for elderly) and bring in some snakes for the last three summers. I only have corns, garters and a western hognose. I have never had a problem but I completely agree with DaemoNox - you need to control the snake and not let the kids have complete control and you need to read the snakes. I also agree that the kids should know that if they can't sit in their place the snake will have to be put away. I have one snake that likes to bite me but I have successfully brought him to some of these outings.

When you have more snakes - and you will - you will know when you feel comfortable bringing the snakes to class.

Jo

jodu said:
When you have more snakes - and you will - you will know when you feel comfortable bringing the snakes to class.

That is what I am hoping!

I just know that my love of snakes started when I attended a reptile presentation at a camp ground and held a Burmese Python (I was 10- the snake seemed huge! But I bet was only 7-8'). So I'd like to be able to pass that on.

I go to schools, etc with my 7' Redtail boa and my adult corn, and it usually goes over pretty well. I usually tell the kids that if they don't want to be near the snake to raise their hands so I know who to stay away from (although they usually get up the nerve by the end and touch the snake anyway). One thing I would suggest is taking a bottle of Purell hand sanitizer with you and having anyone that touches the snakes use that... that way you're covering your butt as far as salmonella is concerned.

I give a lot of educational presentations. Most schools are very excited about having me and learning about reptiles. Here is a link to my reptile education site: http://www.reptilianencounters.com. You can see a lot more about what I do and how I do it there.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jeff,

Quite possibly THE coolest thing I have seen in my life. I didn't even know you COULD modify a venemous snake so that it can't deliver venom. I am assuming the vet removes the actual venom gland?? Or severs the connective ducts? Way awesome.

I don't get into hots much. They're neat, but someday I'd like kids... and kids at home with hots... eh... too scary for me.

Still your page is cool, and it gave me some neat ideas for how I'd like to handle such things.

Thanks so much for posting it!

Lauren

I'm a teacher and I bring my snakes to school a few times a year. Also, I take them to my kids' classes occasionally. I have only corn snakes and of them certainly ones I never take and others that I take all the time. With the one in between, it depends on their attitude around the time that I go.

I show the snakes to children that are listening and sitting down. (When I tell them that, it usually solves any problem.) Also, when I'm finished telling them about corn snakes and answering their questions, they may touch the snake if they want. I always hold the snake and have the children touch the body. I keep the head away from them. As soon as they finish, I have them wash their hands.

One interesting note that I have found, is that the boys are the ones more apt to not want to touch the snakes! (I teach Pre-K thru 2nd grade, so the kids are pretty young.)

I really enjoy this and their excitement about the snakes, but I do wonder if I need to do anything different. Such as bill of health papers from a vet.

DarbCal said:
I really enjoy this and their excitement about the snakes, but I do wonder if I need to do anything different. Such as bill of health papers from a vet.
I am also very curious on this as well. Plus do you need to have any types of insurance when you do this as well, in case of any mishapes.

Jeff,

I worked with a vet that told me about altering the hots so they cannot produce venom. He said he has seen the venom glads removed, and that it alters the appearance of the snakes. Is there a more current procedure that does not affect the snake's appearance? Also, how does it affect their eating behaviors? I mean...a cobra kills its prey with venom. If the snake can't inject venom, then it's prey won't die and the snake can't eat it (can it?). Do they eat F/T? I am very interested in this subject. Thanks for educating us! :D

CornCrazy said:
Jeff,

I worked with a vet that told me about altering the hots so they cannot produce venom. He said he has seen the venom glads removed, and that it alters the appearance of the snakes. Is there a more current procedure that does not affect the snake's appearance? Also, how does it affect their eating behaviors? I mean...a cobra kills its prey with venom. If the snake can't inject venom, then it's prey won't die and the snake can't eat it (can it?). Do they eat F/T? I am very interested in this subject. Thanks for educating us! :D

I've also seen it proposed that the venom serves a digestive function and that, even if the snake is fine with f/t, it may not be in the best interest of the snake to be de-venomed. But I doubt there has been any experimentation in that regard. Has there?

Venom and digestion

Many of the self proclaimed venom masters (i.e. rednecks who like hot snakes because they are cool) claim that taking the venom out destroys the animal. I do not buy into this.

I have kept HOTS for years and worked with them for my B.S., M.S. and now in my PhD. NONE of these are venomoid. I have also worked at a nationally ranked zoo where NONE of those snakes were venomoids. Furthermore, in my personal collection, I currently care for more HOTS than I do venomoids and am proud to say I've never been bitten by a HOT or venomoid. So....before I get the typical hate mail associated with venomoids, I want to assure those reading this that I have plenty experience with hot snakes and do not use venomoids because I am afraid of a HOT snake. I use them for an extra layer of safety when speaking in public. In addition, if I felt that this type of surgery had any negative effect on the snake I would not employ it.

All that being said, I hope the cornsnake community is a little more mature and educated and I will therefore continue and respond to the following:

CornCrazy said:
He said he has seen the venom glads removed, and that it alters the appearance of the snakes. Is there a more current procedure that does not affect the snake's appearance?

There are two major ways of doing the surgery. Remove the glands and ducts, or ligate (cut) the ducts only and leave the glands. In theory, if the duct is cut then no venom can go from gland to tooth. (In theory, however, people can not make babies after having 'tubes tied' :sidestep: ). For elapids (cobras, etc.), the surgery is almost always associated with removal of the ducts and glands. The venomation mechanism of an elapid is wired in such a way that cutting the ducts only would not work well as the ducts are extremely small and in some species, non-existant. In viperids (rattlesnakes, etc.), often times only the duct is cut and the gland is left in place.

For any snake where the venom glands are removed, there can be deformation of the head. One is removing a large gland and there will be a gap. If the surgery is done on young animals, the animal grows without the glands and there is not as much a void as if the surgery is done on an adult. Also, if the gland is removed, some vets will put implants in to mask the removal of the glands, some will not. I've seen snakes with both. That being said, this small deformation does not seem to cause the snakes any behavior problems as they act the same as before the surgery. In snakes where just the duct has been cut, there is virtually NO indication of such a surgery. I have snakes that you will only know have had the surgery if I tell you.

CornCrazy said:
Also, how does it affect their eating behaviors? I mean...a cobra kills its prey with venom. If the snake can't inject venom, then it's prey won't die and the snake can't eat it (can it?). Do they eat F/T?

All my snakes that were venomoid were fed on F/T (frozen thawed) rodents for 6 months prior to the surgery to ensure that they would readily take that as a food item. (Some people do NOT do this and grab a wild caught snake and do the surgery and try to make a quick buck. Obviously you will then have a problem). As a routine, I feed all my snakes F/T but occasionally my rattlesnakes like the live. It sometimes takes a while to get a snake on F/T and anyone who has raised corns knows that some just prefer live as well and take time to switch over. Other snakes are the same way.

desertanimal said:
I've also seen it proposed that the venom serves a digestive function and that, even if the snake is fine with f/t, it may not be in the best interest of the snake to be de-venomed. But I doubt there has been any experimentation in that regard. Has there?

Many anti-venomoid people use this as a reason why snakes should not be venomoid. In my opinion, this does not make any sense. Almost every major zoo in the country feeds F/T to their snakes...venomous included. At the zoo I worked at, we had snakes (Gaboon vipers, eyelash vipers, mambas, king cobras etc.) that ate frozen thawed for many years without ever having a live meal. They lived normally, digested normally, and reproduced normally. Although venom does digest the animal a little, I do not think it is significant enough to change the digestion of the meal as a whole. Then again, I am not a vet nor have I read any experiment proving or disproving said statement. All I can offer is the reality that many zoos and privates feed frozen thawed almost exclusively. I have a HOT canebrake that I've had for 8 years and it rarely eats live. 99% of the time I feed it F/T and it is one of the larger canebrakes I've seen in captivity. This guy eats large rats and probably could take small rabbits. I also have a prairie rattlesnake that I've had for 9 years and it eats exclusively F/T with no apparent ill effects. Perhaps there is some effect of not using the venom and picking the prey item up off the ground but I would think that zoos and other institutions would have seen the supposed 'negative' effects of such a behavior. :shrugs:

There are many problems associated with venomoids and here are a few major ones:

1) Inexperienced people get a hold of one and do not respect the animal. They put it around their neck and walk in the local park. Snakes on an idiot so to speak. The stereotypes will not lessen when some mother is pushing her baby in the stroller and a kid walks up with a cobra. This is why you will never see me do a public performance with a venomoid snake and treat it any different than a hot snake. I do not free handle it, wrap it around my neck or anything else foolish like that. I use tongs and hooks and handle it as if it were venomous and like I said above, I've never been bitten by a hot or venomoid snake.

2) Inexperienced idiots attempt the surgery to make a snake more expensive. "Hey Bubba, want to take the venom out of this snake. I'll hold it you get a knife." This often results in butchered animals, incorrect surgeries and eventual death for the patients. The animals that do live are then sold to people dumber than the 'surgeons' whereupon they do said stupid stuff referenced in problem number 1.

3) Good surgeons can make mistakes. Remember my 'tubes tied' comment above? There are a number of people walking this earth today that should not be here because a doctor fixed their father or mother. Guess not :grin01: Same goes with this surgery. Even the most experienced person could make a mistake. This is a not much of a problem if you use proper handling of a venomous snake, but as reference in problem 1, not everyone does that. For example, I was at a show in SC where someone had a venomoid cobra and this person was free-handling it before the show. Well, said free-handled cobra bit said person and the arm swelled a little. Improper surgery...maybe :shrugs: Improper handling? Definitely! So, mistakes can be made. (On that note, I do check my snakes for the effectiveness of the surgery every three months just to make sure. So far, no problems.)

With everything I have said I do not want it to be gathered that I am a proponent for everyone to go out an get a venomoid. Far from it. I believe there is a time and place. I've had kids get on stage with me while I am handling said animals. Fortunately, when I stop the talk and ask the parents of said kid to get off the stage it usually happens, but no one knows for sure said kid would not have gotten too close.

Although there are problems with venomoids, I am MORE worried about the mass of inexperienced people buying or owning hot snakes. In SC, you can buy hot snakes at a show. All you need to be is over 18 years old. That's it!

So...to wrap up....if you are 18 you can fight for your country, smoke cigarettes, vote, and buy venomous snakes....

.....but you can't drink! :crazy02:

Go figure.

Jeff,

That was a great summary. After viewing your site this AM, I spent about two hours reading up on venomoid vs. HOT snakes at FaunaClassifieds. I saw a lot of negative reactions to these surgeries, and mostly they seemed to center on what you said- the "hack job" surgeries practiced by DIY'selfers who toss the snake in the freezer to "anesthetize" it and then chop out its venom gland with a pocket knife, and also the idea that venomoid animals allow people who really shouldn't have a venemous snake to be careless with the animals, without developing a respect for the animals capabilities first. Even if they are devoid of venom, they still have two inch fangs!!

There were also several examples provided of snakes that were supposed to be venomoid, but where producing venom in varying quantities from one or both fangs.

Anyone else who is interested in the topic, I highly suggest slithering over to the FaunaClassifieds Venemous Snakes forum- I found a wealth of information there.

Great post Jeff!
I wonder how many of the hots that get sold. spend there whole life in a soiled cage and get a mouse tosed in every now and then.

On topic. I also hope to be able to take some of my corns into my sons class when he gets a little older.
TIM

TrpnBils said:
One thing I would suggest is taking a bottle of Purell hand sanitizer with you and having anyone that touches the snakes use that.

I do this as well. I also ask the kids not to touch their faces - it's kind of futile but at least I have tried! I also bring an old sheet with me that I place on the floor or table that I am showing the snakes from. So if there is poop it's on my stuff! :cool:

I have found that the younger the age the more likely it is for the girls to be timid. Among the adults I find the men are much more squeamish! By the end of the presentation almost everyone has touched if not held a snake - even the ones who were afraid. I love the teachers that come into the classroom terribly afraid and by the end are competing with the kids to hold/touch a snake. I should say that I did not let the kindergartners hold the snakes - just touch. I thought that twenty plus 5 - 6 year olds would be too much for the snakes!

Fascinating info on the HOTs and venemoids.

Jo

My snake is already housed in my HS classroom. I can't say how long she will stay there because I miss her terribly, and I will soon have my own place w/o a mother who loathes snakes. So she may end up being an only occaisional pet at school.

My thoughts are definitely geared more towards grade school age. My sister will graduate in '08 with a degree in Early Childhood Education, and already wants me to come in sometime to educate her first class on snakes. So I reckon that will be good practice. I only have the one Corn now, but my S.O. is becoming a slow convert to our ways, and this is impressive as she's only LOOKED at my Corn- never held her!

I figure by 2008 I ought to have a bunch. ;)

Hazysnake and I have brought Shermy to our church and local elementary school. The church group was small, so we let the kids pet the snake. The school event was that the principal had to hold a snake; the kids had voted this as their reward for "No TV Week." The principal decided to have an assembly for this instead of going from classroom to classroom. I think he wanted to minimize the time he had to spend holding the corn snake! (He was even afraid of the plush toy snake we brought!) Since there were so many kids at the assembly, we made a rule that only the grown-ups could pet Shermy. There were too many kids there and we told them that it wouldn't be fair to let some kids pet Shermy while others could not. They howled with laughter at seeing the principal and teachers hold Shermy.

We insituted a rule about hand cleaner that the kids could understand. They had to apply it before and after handling Shermy. I explained, "This way you won't get your germs on Shermy, and Shermy's germs won't get on you." I think they were more eager to do it when it was put that way, because they were eager to "help" Shermy by doing this.

Back