• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Steve Irwin Dies at age 44, A sad day in the herping world..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realy dont feel sorry that he died. To me he was a idot I feel sorry for his family. When I watched his show he abused the animals and stressed them out not like O'sha and all the others that do the same type of show. A sting ray will not attack you for no reason . Steve had to be harassing the poor thing for it to attack him.
I watch him on one of his shows that had a red spitting corba . He talk about how the snake did not like to wast its venom, that it took a lot of enegry to make the venom. . That it only had so much venom in is glands. The idot made the poor snake spit venom over and over again and again waisting percious venom.
I dont like the way he handled any of the animals . He was too rough with them and stressed them out. Now the other guys that do the same type of show respect the animals and are way more professional in the way they handled the animals .

Last edited:
Vinman said:
I realy dont feel sorry that he died. To me he was a idot I feel sorry for his family. When I watched his show he adused the animals and stressed them out not like O'sha and all the others that do the same type of show. A sting ray will not attack you for no reason . Steve had to be harassing the poor thing for it to attack him.
I watch him on one of his shows that had a red spitting corba . He talk about how the snake did not like to wast its venom, that it took a lot of enegry to make the venom. . That it only had so much venom in is glands. The idot made the poor snake spit venom over and over again and again waisting percious venom.
I dont like the way he handled any of the animals . He was too rough with them and stressed them out. Now the other guys that do the same type of show respect the animals and are way more professional in the way they handled the animals .

Ah but at least he could spell....

Your reply was uttery unnecessary... I dont see O'sha as a world wide household name promoting wildlife conservation... I don't see mass evidence of his "amazing" work in the world everyday. But with Steve we did... I can only hope Terri continues his legacy to educate people like yourself.

You may have not liked the way he handled animals, and in just the same way I don't like your opinion and blatant stupidity. Try to think of more debatable points to call Steve Irwin an Idiot!! :twoguns:

Vinman said:
I realy dont feel sorry that he died.

Come on. That is one of the worst things anyone could say. I know that you may think that he was harassing the animal but he knew what he was doing. He never hurt any of them and anyway he was doing it to educate people. I can see you don't watch many of his shows. Really you could have said something nicer??? I Hope??? :shrugs:

Dave123 said:
Come on. That is one of the worst things anyone could say. I know that you may think that he was harassing the animal but he knew what he was doing. He never hurt any of them and anyway he was doing it to educate people. I can see you don't watch many of his shows. Really you could have said something nicer??? I Hope??? :shrugs:

Look did you realy think that if any animals were hurt by him they would show it to you on TV no way. picking up a snake by its tail is not the proper way to handel a snake, he stressed it out. like I said before wasting the venmon of the red spitting cobra was not right thing two do, one or two times was enuff. No he did not know what he was doing the fact that he is dead is because he did not handle the sting ray right or approch it right. I watch countless shows that he did things wrong. like when he visted the timbir rattlers den and almost got bit in the groin . Look he did a lot for the reptile trade. But as far as handleing the animals he stressed them out . Now when I see Mark O'Sha do his thing or Jeff Gorwin the approch the animals with caution. Not only do they inform you on the animal they are a good example on how to approch and handle them . I have talked to many snake hunters and I'm one myself. I will not repeat what names or comment were made about him out of respect for the dead and his family. I Volenterred in the Bronx Zoo's reptile house and world of birds. This man was totaly unprofessional. I feel so sorry for his family. those poor kids growing up with no father. Sorry to all for my horrable spelling. Thank you vinny

I'm not defending Vinman, because there are other people (like myself) who feel that Steve Irwin did unecessarily stress out some animals in exchange for ratings, but I don't believe that he ever intentionally harmed an animal to the degree of abuse and his antics did in fact deliver their intended message, so my contribution to this thread is this...

If you couldn't say something good about someone when they were alive, don't bother doing when they're dead. If you didn't like someone, you have the right to that opinion, their death doesn't change that. Respect for the dead person's family is more important than respect for the dead person, IMO. No one has to suddenly change their attitude towards somebody just because that person died. It's being a hypocrite. Vinman has the right to speak his mind, so does everybody else. We don't have to agree, but we don't have to fight about it.

And this...

Mark O'Shea
Jeff Corwin

Correct spelling on both.

Vinman said:
Look did you realy think that if any animals were hurt by him they would show it to you on TV no way. picking up a snake by its tail is not the proper way to handel a snake, he stressed it out. like I said before wasting the venmon of the red spitting cobra was not right thing two do, one or two times was enuff. No he did not know what he was doing the fact that he is dead is because he did not handle the sting ray right or approch it right. I watch countless shows that he did things wrong. like when he visted the timbir rattlers den and almost got bit in the groin . Look he did a lot for the reptile trade. But as far as handleing the animals he stressed them out . Now when I see Mark O'Sha do his thing or Jeff Gorwin the approch the animals with caution. Not only do they inform you on the animal they are a good example on how to approch and handle them . I have talked to many snake hunters and I'm one myself. I will not repeat what names or comment were made about him out of respect for the dead and his family. I Volenterred in the Bronx Zoo's reptile house and world of birds. This man was totaly unprofessional. I feel so sorry for his family. those poor kids growing up with no father. Sorry to all for my horrable spelling. Thank you vinny

Every one is entitled to there opinion, but in my opinion, some one who feeds their snakes boiled chicken necks has no right to question Steve Irwin's handling techniques.

Billybobob said:
Every one is entitled to there opinion, but in my opinion, some one who feeds their snakes boiled chicken necks has no right to question Steve Irwin's handling techniques.
yea it show that I aleast wanted to try something diffrent . Now I dont see people feeding whole animals to the dogs , cats and ferrets . someon came up with the idea of another way to feed they animals . If you gona comment on what I did why dont you list everything I feed them not just chickin necks . they got pork, chicken parts and turkey parts anolg with hearts , gizzards, and kinneys.

Vinman said:
yea it show that I aleast wanted to try something diffrent . Now I dont see people feeding whole animals to the dogs , cats and ferrets . someon came up with the idea of another way to feed they animals . If you gona comment on what I did why dont you list everything I feed them not just chickin necks . they got pork, chicken parts and turkey parts anolg with hearts , gizzards, and kinneys.

Did you mention everything that Steve Irwin did right? No. Did you just point out 2 thinks that you thought he did wrong? Yes.

I only pointed out that you have problems with your husbandry practices, and that someone who cares more about saving money than properly feeding there snakes has no business questioning how Steve Irwin handels his snakes.

Billybobob said:
I only pointed out that you have problems with your husbandry practices, and that someone who cares more about saving money than properly feeding there snakes has no business questioning how Steve Irwin handels his snakes.

Meant to type: how Steve Irwin handels snakes.

Ok maybe Steve Irwin did stress out some animals but he was trying to teach us about them not intentially hurting them. And really this guy just died soo lets not critizism him right now. Theres not usually threads about Steve Irwin and right when he dies some people (not mentioning any names) have to say something as carless as "Im really not sorry he died" I dont know about you guys but i think that and other things said is kinda mean.

Let's do a little comparison....shall we?

Did Steve Irwin stress a few animals on his shows? Probably yes....

But he also taught millions of people to love and appreciate reptiles and see the beauty in them that he did. He sparked an interest in nature that spanned the world and probably prevented thousands of snakes from being beaten to death with shovels or intentionally hit by cars. He EDUCATED us.

He gave MILLIONS of dollars he earned to conservation efforts and to running a wildlife park that is essentially a country club for crocs.

As a kid, he and his dad would capture crocs that posed a threat to people, not only to keep people safe but to keep the crocs from being shot.

Did he absolutely adore reptiles and know that turkey gizzards are not snake food? YES!!

So...stressing a snake makes him a horrible person but what about all the animals he saved?

Dave123 said:
"Im really not sorry he died" I dont know about you guys but i think that and other things said is kinda mean.
Not to mention, totally uncalled for. Considering the source though, I wouldn't let it get you down Dave :cheers:

What a cruel bunch of replies in there... Regardless of any opinion, this is a death being spoken of... There are some sick minded individuals around, there really are... Not even a couple of days gone and people can say such horrible things, let's hope similar is said about those that said it this time when you die. I will be.

UKCryptid said:
What a cruel bunch of replies in there... Regardless of any opinion, this is a death being spoken of... There are some sick minded individuals around, there really are... Not even a couple of days gone and people can say such horrible things, let's hope similar is said about those that said it this time when you die. I will be.

I loved Steve Irwin. One of my hatchlings will be ACR registered bearing his name.

Its like losing the god of the herp world... and a dear friend. Im surprised how much this has effected me and so many others.

I've heard some cruel and stupid comments at work, where I expect it really because of the general ignorance about anything but blinking soap and reality shows.
On here I wouldn't expect 100% adulation of the man, but the general feeling of respect and sadness is quite overwhelming

You can't ignore the fact that he really contributed to peoples knowledge about animals, reptiles specifically. Anyone who has handled reptiles has probably stressed one out, everybody was a beginner. Steve did tons for conservation, and through the media attention he's getting people noticed what he did. That is all we as reptile lovers can ask for, is that he brought attention to reptiles and their conservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back