Home | Home | Array | Home | Array
PDA

View Full Version : CORNSNAKE CHIRPING

CORNSNAKE CHIRPING

leogeoking
12-12-2002, 06:20 PM
For the past couple of days we have been hearing a strange chirping noise and yesterday I went in there and the snake was chirping (i have NO idea if its male or female) but WHY and HOW was It chirping anyone have any idea :confused:

bmm
12-12-2002, 10:15 PM
Clicking noises or any noise from the mouth of a snake can be a sign of a respitory infection. Does your snake "wheeze" or have any fuild coming out of the nose or mouth? Look really close. It could also be a piece of shed stuck in the nostril but I have never heard of anyone describe that as a chirping...but I have heard a chirping sound desrcibed as a respitory infection in some cases.

You might want to look into the further symptoms like I said...sometimes mild cases can clear up on their own with humidity adjustments/heating adjustments...but most need a vets attention.

bmm

leogeoking
12-12-2002, 10:37 PM
well i dont think its that because theyre really good with sheds. hes small, maybe it wasnt him, maybe it was my geckos but they dont chirp often either and not like that. thats the first time ive heard anything like that:rolleyes:

bmm
12-12-2002, 10:45 PM
Well you know geckos are funny that way....

I have a little Golden Gecko named Wee and sometimes he makes the oddest noises, some I never heard before and I never hear again! Sometimes he does little "yelps" and sometimes he chirps like a cricket. and sometimes the ones I described that I hardly ever hear! hehehe!

:0)

marisa

leogeoking
12-12-2002, 10:51 PM
I dont know how to write the numbers or whatever to say if male or female but i have

2 female leopard geckos
1 leusistic male leogeo
1 reg male leogeo
1 snow corn (unsexed)
1 red albino (unsexed)

how do you sex a corn?:D

Neo
12-12-2002, 11:33 PM
It was in the middle of the night and i woke up and as i was going back to sleep i heard a chirping. I have 0.1 Leos and 0.0.1 Corn and io thought whoa. I know that leo s make lots of noise but i never heard that before

Rachel
12-13-2002, 03:27 AM
Guys....do you feed you leos/geckos crickets?? Well that would explain your chirping noises then!! LMAO :D

bmm
12-13-2002, 09:01 AM
Well for me its not crickets. I would have figured that out years ago. Its my gecko. But I don't have a leopard gecko I have a Golden Gecko which is an aboreal gecko from Vietnam I believe. I wasn't aware leopard geckos make chirping noise so in your case leogeoking it may be the crickets.

bmm

Rachel
12-24-2002, 07:51 AM
I was actually replying to Leogeoking as to what the chirping noise was. Only a suggestion though ;) I know that the crickets we get are VERY noisy at night and keep everyone awake!

HaggasCheff
12-24-2002, 07:11 PM
like bmm said, take a real close listen to your snake.

If you have decided it was the geckos, then it's all good.

I just went through a respiratory infection with my snake, and it started as this strange clicking I could barely hear until I brought his head very close to my ear. At times there were slight wheezes that could have been described as a short whistle or maybe a chirp.

If its an infection, you'll soon notice the noises getting louder and possibly evolving into outright sneezes/forceful exhales. Couple shots of Baytril at the vet have cleared it up over a week. He's due for one more shot in a couple days. Keep a close eye out.

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
12-26-2002, 02:23 PM
I'm very interested in information about snake noises. I understand that they don't really make a sound, but that a sound can be made when they release air or as bmm stated, signs of a problem. One very quiet and late late night I slipped in the snake room and quietly lifted the lid to check on one of the cuties. I swear it screamed, not a loud or long or frightening scream, just a little startle sound. Well, as you probably know, now everyone thinks I'm nuts. But I guess if your snakes can chirp then why can't mine scream? :0)Sam

MentalMenace
01-02-2003, 02:21 PM
snakes cant make noise the ownly reptile thart i know of that can make a noise without having a diesies is a gekko the latin name for gecko is talking lizard so its the gekko and not the snake.

Rachel
01-03-2003, 03:30 AM
Of course snakes can make a noise. They can hiss and rattle their tails at you and generally let you know if they are pissed off with you! :) I know that mine certainly let me know when they don't want me annoying them! Also, other reptiles make noises...frogs croak, crocs growl. I just thought that the chirping noise the guys heard could have been crickets rather that their snakes ;)

MentalMenace
01-03-2003, 01:48 PM
i know that but i ment that had a voise box ;)

Rachel
01-03-2003, 03:01 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant too. Frogs have voice boxes as do crocs and probably a heap more reptiles that I don't know about! ;)

MentalMenace
01-03-2003, 03:03 PM
frogs arent reptiles and its a kind of hissing that crocs do geckos are the only REPTILE with a voice box

Rachel
01-03-2003, 03:11 PM
hey hey hey! No need to be defensive...but if you are going to argue this, frogs are reptiles and crocs do have voice boxes. I'm only imparting knowledge seeing as I've been studying the subject for over 3 years :rolleyes:

MentalMenace
01-03-2003, 03:13 PM
frogs are amphibians and the crocs growling is like a hissing but becouse of there mass they cant hiss its like an elepahnt cant hiss either

Rachel
01-03-2003, 03:17 PM
Lol, sorry, I was just about to edit my post. You are right about frogs being amphibians but scientists are now starting to generaaly classify frogs and toads as reptiles. I will try and find some journals for you to read stating that other reptiles have voice boxes.

MentalMenace
01-03-2003, 03:21 PM
huh why would they start to do that???? :S all reptiles lay there eggs on land and have scaly skin making them reptiels and frogs and toads lay there eggs in water and have a rubbery skin making them amphibians.
scientists are getting wierd these days :S

bmm
01-03-2003, 03:28 PM
All frogs lay eggs in water. I can't remember which but a couple species of frog actually lay their eggs out of water but above it. The eggs are left out of the water but when they hatch, the tad poles fall directly into water. There is even evidence of the parents frog sticking around to make sure things go well!

bmm :)

Rachel
01-03-2003, 03:31 PM
huh, don't even go there! They change things month to month which makes revising for my exams very hard. I think its because they change the way they classify the animals (or because they found frogs/toads that lay on land). I'm not sure yet :confused: although I should be cause I have exams in 2 weeks!! Aaaahhhhh

ps as for those papers, there are heaps but this one seems quite good as it incorporates quite a few reptiles : 'The comparative anatomy and evolution of the phonatory organ in vertebrates. 1985 by Toyozumi, Y sourced from Otologia Fukuoka 31(1) 4-68. If you don't have access to journals, email me at rrrrrmeow@hotmail.com and I'll let you know how to get web access!

hey sorry Bmm, we must have posted at same time!

MentalMenace
01-03-2003, 03:38 PM
thanks rachel :D and good luck with your exams.

yeah i know bmm i know some one and his dad breeds tree frogs that do that (lay them obouve water) its realy cute to see them drop down into the water when they hatch.