• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cook's tree boas

diamondlil

Mice! They taste so nice!
I've been having a look at my favorite shop's site, and they've got Cook's tree boas. I've started trawling websites for care information, and while I'm confident I can get the set up right and won't mind the aggressiveness, I wanted to know if anyone here had kept them successfully.
I noticed that they prefer birds to rodents, so I'd be prepared to breed zebra finches if necessary, but wondered if any members here had had Cook's and fed them rodents successfully?
I'm thinking that a tall display viv would work well and be the way to go if I do get one.

Actually I've read some more and found they get to 6', which is a bit bigger than I thought! (for some insane reason I was thinking 4'...silly me)

they don't have Cooks Tree Boas (Corallus cookii)
they have Amazon Tree Boas (Corallus hortulanus)

Cook's come from a remote island, only a handful have actually been exported, and demand $$$

I don't pretend to know enough about the different types, but it's listed as Cookii on the website? Not that I'm getting one now, a six-foot bitey snake is out of my league

I don't know why Darren has listed the amazons as cooks... I thought it was a little strange.

You thinking of something arboreal Janine?! *Mad chanting* Baroni, Baroni, Baroni!

So that's why it didn't look like the other pictures I saw on other sites! Is it really a 'halloween phase' amazon then?
I certainly was, and the bitey nature didn't bother me as I was thinking of a display viv, but as I said a 4 foot biter sounded good, but a six footer makes me think 'pinapple'!

diamondlil said:
So that's why it didn't look like the other pictures I saw on other sites! Is it really a 'halloween phase' amazon then?
I certainly was, and the bitey nature didn't bother me as I was thinking of a display viv, but as I said a 4 foot biter sounded good, but a six footer makes me think 'pinapple'!
HAHAHA....PINEAPPLE!!!

Thanks, diamondlil, for making me laugh straight outloud(and look moderately insane in the process). That simple statement flooded my head with images of Steve calling that poor guy "sweetheart"...Thanks! I needed that...

No worries, Chris, the thought of a snake longer than I'm tall with a bad attitude, I can just imagine myself explaining my wounds at work, to colleagues who already think keeping snakes is another manifestation of my craziness

Arboreals are great... (ps hopefully I'll have hundreds of pictures of my new arboreal to share with you guys soon)

I think you should get a Sweet Pea snake, so we can all learn what another one is like.

Chris- any time you need a dose of Pineapple, just find one of my posts and click on the link in my signature!

Nanci

Like The Nothing said Cook's are extremely hard to get a hold of. The price of a Cook's (if it really was one) would be much, much greater than any phase of Amazons. However, many sellers still use the two names interchangeably.

If you have not already purchased/read these two books: Kaleidoscopic Tree Boas: The Genus Corallus of Tropical America (1996) by Peter J. Stafford and Robert W. Henderson and Neotropical Tree Boa's: The Natural History of the Common Tree Boa (2002) by Robert W. Henderson, you may find them to be excellent sources of info (I do at least).

Anyways, my Amazon is a biter, always has been, and always will be (yeah, I wear gloves to handle it). But it's a nice display snake, which I keep in a vivarium with live plants, a waterfall, and such.

Nanci said:
I think you should get a Sweet Pea snake, so we can all learn what another one is like.

Chris- any time you need a dose of Pineapple, just find one of my posts and click on the link in my signature!

Nanci

Sweetpea snakes are great... But apparently we do everything wrong with her :( The very small amount of breeders in the UK and Europe suggest keeping them cool, most and arboreal... We do it a little different... Not very humid, not very arboreal and hot (88)... Shes twice the size of the other 06's around atm even though she was bought as a non feeder... oh well :rolleyes:

Karl Green is breeding his adults again this year and has a couple of males left from last year.... Why not contact him?

When I was at Gatorland...

A guy in Tampa was caught with 125 Cooks illegally. We got them. Every single solitary one of them tried to your face off every chance it got. And some of them were really good size.
Every one I've seen since has been the same way. Granted, the 125 were all WC. I've only seen a handful since then.
The ladies at Reptile Shack wait for me to come in to change their Cooks water and bedding. :eek1:

Elle you are really trying to tempt me there..........as if I didn't already see Sweetpea's little pointy nose and go all gooey!

Cflaguy said:
A guy in Tampa was caught with 125 Cooks illegally. We got them. Every single solitary one of them tried to your face off every chance it got. And some of them were really good size.
Every one I've seen since has been the same way. Granted, the 125 were all WC. I've only seen a handful since then.
The ladies at Reptile Shack wait for me to come in to change their Cooks water and bedding. :eek1:
Aha, so 'aggressive' is a bit of an understatement then

Back