• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

baby Vs. cobra ( video included)

%^$(_)$(*&%*& stupid is what I say. But then again, there are a lot of stupid people in the world!

Well, I think that is sick, and i feel sorry for the snake and the baby, who's ever baby that was probably does not deserve the child!

Well, it is VERY obvious that the snake was de-fanged. The kid hardly reacted to being repeatedly stricken. Even if it had the venom glands removed, if it had fangs, a bit would hurt. No doubt, at least in my mind, that the snake is thoroughly defanged...meaning the baby is in no danger...no fangs, no venom delivery system.

But sitll extremely cruel to the snake...Imagine the incredible amount of stress that poor thing is dealing with...It's basically being stalked by a bumbling infant, and it's only mode of defense has been rendered absolutely useless...poor snake.

Venomoids suck!!

But still- it's nice to see a kid brought up, for once, to not be scared to death of snakes...

Nanci

Why doesn't the cobra just leave?

Nanci said:
Why doesn't the cobra just leave?
Not a "flight" animal...cobra being a "fight" animal? Poor confused snake...

Some Asians cultures have relationships with snakes, especially, that are so different than Western cultures...would be interesting to understand what if any cultural thing going on here...

i think because it has to deal with mongoose in the wild so its been trained not to run but to stand in fight.

it is disgusting. you should see some of the things they do.

SkyChimp said:
Am I the only that thinks some cultural traditions are stooooopid?
"Cultural Traditions" and "stupid" do not belong in the same sentence, unless you're saying, "It is stooopid not to respect people and their cultural traditions."

Not understanding or appreciating something doesn't make it stupid, it makes it different. There are plenty of "cultural traditions" among Americans that are thought of as pretty stupid by the rest of the world...

Am I the only one that thinks statements like that are REALLY stupid?

tyflier said:
"Cultural Traditions" and "stupid" do not belong in the same sentence, unless you're saying, "It is stooopid not to respect people and their cultural traditions."

Not understanding or appreciating something doesn't make it stupid, it makes it different. There are plenty of "cultural traditions" among Americans that are thought of as pretty stupid by the rest of the world...

I agree 100%

I also think that at first glance its a disturbing video... To someone who didn't know anything about reptiles it could be judged as "plain stupidity". But because we understand that a lot of these snakes have their fangs removed, in essence their only defences, then it's (dare I say it) safe. I disagree with the process of defanging, but are they going to stop it because a few people "frown upon it"?! naaaa.

The snake is obviously upset and stressed, Im not worrying about the baby in that video (and I'm sure onlookers are not either)... Poor snake.

Now, I have absolutely no idea about this, but I know some cultures believe a young child should be somehow "annointed" with the spirit of whatever animal is chosen for them. A lot of times, this involves the child killing and eating the animal, therefore absorbing the qualities of the animal. It seems reasonable (to me) that this is a modified version of a similar tradition.

SkyChimp said:
Am I the only that thinks some cultural traditions are stooooopid?
And this type of attitude/opinion/comment is exactly why most of the rest of the world hates Americans.

tyflier said:

That response was nothing but PC gobbly-gook. Some cultures engage in cannibalism, genital mutilation of children, and stoning girls to death for showing interest in boys - among other things. I don't respect those traditions, and they are stupid. If you are one of the many who think "it's not right or wrong - just different" then have at it. Frankly, I think it's nonsense.

Duff said:
And this type of attitude/opinion/comment is exactly why most of the rest of the world hates Americans.

Well gee whiz, I never thought of that. If only I would accept the stupid traditions of other cultures as being completely sane and ethical, they would just love me, right? OK, next time we read about a young woman publicly executed in Iran for wearing make-up, we'll just accept it with a smile. After all, if it's a cultural tradion, it can't be wrong - right?.

Let give you my official opinion on that video: Tamil snake charmers routinely rip the fangs out of cobras so that they cannot be envenomated - unbeknownst those that watch the show. When, during a show, they are bitten, they place a stone on the bite to "show" onlookers that a traditional remedy for a cobra bite (laying a stone on the bite) really works. In the meantime, Sri Lanka enjoys one of the highest death rates in the world from snake bites. Many of those victims lose their lives while someone tries to heal them by laying a stone on the bite. That video is nothing more than a video of a child that will continue of tradition of mulitating snakes, and tricking villagers into believing that a stone will heal a cobra bite. In my opinion, THAT'S STUPID.

SkyChimp said:
That response was nothing but PC gobbly-gook. Some cultures engage in cannibalism, genital mutilation of children, and stoning girls to death for showing interest in boys - among other things. I don't respect those traditions, and they are stupid. If you are one of the many who think "it's not right or wrong - just different" then have at it. Frankly, I think it's nonsense.
It's NOT "PC gobbldey gook"...it's a fact, and is the root cause of FAR too much strife and anguish in the world.

It's one thing to have an opinion and to give it, it is a completely different thing to spout off at the mouth with bigotous statements like that in a public forum. Do you think everything that you don't agree with is stupid?

The cultures that engage in the activities you listed above are primarily isolated and primitive cultures. I am sure there is ALOT about their lifestyle, livliehood, culture and traditions that you will never understand, comprehend, nor appreciate. That doesn't make any of them stupid.

There are cultures all over the world that have practices and traditions that are foreign and unfamiliar to us. NONE of them are stupid. Some may be cruel to our limited understanding, some may seem uneccessary or primitive by our limited understanding, and some may seem very offensive to our limited perception of them...but NONE of them are "stupid". They aren't "stupid" because they are an integral part of that society, and like any culture and heritage, they have a place and they deserve a respect. Do you judge everything about the world around solely by your acceptance of it?

It's very common for ignorance about a cultural tradition to cause it to be labled as "stupid". It's especially common among people who are unwilling to accept that there are other ways to live life other than their own.

Statements like the one you made are a perpetuation of bigotry in it's simplest form..."I think you're stupid because I don't understand you"...fairly ironic, don't you think? YOUR lack of understanding equates to THEIR being stupid...huh...very interesting...

SkyChimp said:
Well gee whiz, I never thought of that. If only I would accept the stupid traditions of other cultures as being completely sane and ethical, they would just love me, right? OK, next time we read about a young woman publicly executed in Iran for wearing make-up, we'll just accept it with a smile. After all, if it's a cultural tradion, it can't be wrong - right?.

Let give you my official opinion on that video: Tamil snake charmers routinely rip the fangs out of cobras so that they cannot be envenomated - unbeknownst those that watch the show. When, during a show, they are bitten, they place a stone on the bite to "show" onlookers that a traditional remedy for a cobra bite (laying a stone on the bite) really works. In the meantime, Sri Lanka enjoys one of the highest death rates in the world from snake bites. Many of those victims lose their lives while someone tries to heal them by laying a stone on the bite. That video is nothing more than a video of a child that will continue of tradition of mulitating snakes, and tricking villagers into believing that a stone will heal a cobra bite. In my opinion, THAT'S STUPID.

Nobody EVER said you had to like it, accept it, appreciate it, or support it. Just don't be a bigot about it.

I don't have to agree with a culture's traditions in order to allow them to practice them in their home country. And they are certainly not asking to come over to the U.S. and perform their "snake charming". They simply do what has been done for hundreds of years, and they do it the same way their great-great-great-great grandfathers did it. I don't have to agree with it to understand that it is, in fact, a traditional part of their life and culture.

Ignorance breeds only contempt and more ignorance, and statements like yours are typically made out of ignorance. Nobody is asking you to be a proponent for these kinds of practices. People are merely asking you to be respectful in your DISapproval of these actions.

I have not seen one person post anything remotely implying that they were OK with the video, or thought it was "neat" or acceptable behavior. But I also never heard one person become bigotous in their statements AGAINST the video, until you did. Do you see the difference??? :shrugs:

Man, you're full of yourself aren't you? Under your standards, any act is justifiable. As long as it's some cultural tradition, it's not wrong. And who am I to judge? Right?

Well, my friend, lemmee tell you who I am to judge. I'm a free man with as much right to judge the acts of others as YOU have to judge me.

A society is defined by its culture. My society more or less adheres to standards of morals and decency. I DO NOT have to accept, or think SANE, the stupid acts of other just because it falls under the auspices of someone else's "cultural tradition." Mutilating snakes and tricking onlookers into believing in silly remedies for cobra bites may be a cultural tradition, but I think it's stupid. If they want to continue it, that's their right. But I don't have to accept it.

Call that bigotry if you like. Maybe it is. But you would do well to remember that slavery is still a cultural tradtion in some regions. Now ask a black American if the man that oppose that slavery is a bigot, or the one that supports it is a bigot (after all, it's a cultural tradition), an see what his answer is.

I do appreciate your opinion. I find it useful in reminding me how I used to be when I didn't think for myself and just gave myself up to insane political correctness.

Back