• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I got a russian tortoise

waldo

Crazy Tarantula Lady
I've been contemplating getting a tortoise for some time now, either a Russian or Greek. Had though that by the end of the summer I might be ready.
Well, today I had a possibly gravid wild caught female kinda fall into my lap so to speak. Of course I brought her home but I had no place for her:(

I decided I would put her in the raised flower bed where I grow mustard greens for my bearded dragon, its not as big as I would like but she seems content. Since I live in a very cold climate I will have to move her indoors in the winter. I plan on fixing up a better outdoor pen soon.

Does anyone know a good tortoise forum? I have a couple questions. I'll get some pictures soon.

Here's her little temp pen, its really a all you can eat salad bar LOL.
DSC01369.jpg

I hope the red paint wears off soon.
DSC01370.jpg

DSC01371.jpg

what a face:)
DSC01374.jpg

Aw, cutie!! I don't know what Russians are supposed to eat, but mustard greens are good for Deserts!

You could try ks.com...

Nanci

She came from a dealer who got in a large shipment for very cheap. He said they were imported which I assumed ment wild caught.

What does it mean her shell is pyramided? I still have a lot to learn.

Wow, Waldo, what a catch. I would love a tortoise but lack the space.

I think pyramiding occurs when they don't get or cannot access calcium, if I remember correctly.... I've read a few books, but the info is a blur....

Yeah, I just looked it up, its caused by a lack of nutrients. I'll have to find out if she was indeed WC or CB.

I don't really have the room either but I figured my smallish garden would be better then a over crowded cage the same size. My bearded dragon is terminally ill and I will be using his cage for her in the winter, its only 4'x 2'x2' but she will get lots of exercise outside the cage.

She has had really bad diarrhea for a couple days but I suspect it is from the frozen veggies she was fed. It seems to have passed and hopefully the proper greens will help. I'm getting a nice bunch of hay tomorrow for her.

It's not bad at all. I know with Desert torts, lack of microclimate (in a burrow, which preserves the desired humidity and temp) is blamed just as much as a poor diet. I don't know anything about Russians, though.

Nanci

I'll have to try KS, though I generally don't like its forums.
She is doing well, slept inside last night in a basket since its still getting cold at night. I'm getting a large rubbermaid tomorrow so I can set up a inside pen for when its cold or rainy.

She really likes the purselane and pinapple weed growing in the driveway, I let her out a couple times a day so she can eat and run around. I hope she gets over being afraid of me and learns to come to me when I bring food.

My guys love purslane, too. And roses. And verbena. And mulberry leaves, thank God after I bought the $120 tree...

Nanci

Back