• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Thermostats?

Joejr14

Grand Bubble Burster
With some more recent additions and the need to heat another two racks, I'm in need of another thermostat. The first one I got from MGReptiles...and clearly I won't be getting another from there.

I'd like to get another Herpstat, but can't really seem to find anyone selling them. I'm not all that interested in a Johnson or Ranco, and I'd really like the Herpstat to be pre-wired with a 6 plug strip.

Anyone know where I might be able to get this?

How many plugs does a standard Herpstat come with? All I have ever had is my Helix and it comes standard with a 3-plug strip.

zwyatt said:
How many plugs does a standard Herpstat come with? All I have ever had is my Helix and it comes standard with a 3-plug strip.

My current one comes with three. Three however, isn't enough. It'd be nice to be able to control 2 racks with one thermostat without having to ghetto-up the 3 strip by adding on an extension of some sort. Each rack for me has 2 plugs, so the 3 thing doesn't really cut it.

I know the Bean Farm sells the Herpstat. I have the Herpstat Pro, which is wired with 4 separate thermostats. But each one only has a single outlet. To control multiple heating elements I had to use an extension cord. The problem with this though is that the Herpstat outlets are not grounded, so you can't use a regular power strip.

That is my only complaint - I wish I could use a power strip like you can with the Johnson and Ranco ones (maybe helix, too, but I don't know). So as far as I know, if you go Herpstat you'll have to use an extension cord of somesort.

I have zoo-med. It has 2 outlets with one probe. How do you control multiple vivs with one thermo? Do some come with a separate probe for each outlet and multiple control knobs?

It'd be nice to be able to control 2 racks with one thermostat

I have a Herpstat II which has 2 sets of 3 outlets. Each set of outlets is controlled independently from each other which is a really nice feature that could easily control 2 different racks.

I bought mine directly from Dion at Spyder Robotics.

http://www.spyderrobotics.com/

Dion provides top notch customer service. I had a problem with one of my temperature probes and he had a replacement in the mail the next day.

I'd look at a Herpstat II.

Regards,
Steve

Hawkin' said:
Just curious,why not a Johnson or Ranco? :shrugs:

I believe that are ON/OFF thermostats, and not proportional. I want to stick with a proportional thermostat. I believe that limits be to a Helix or Herpstat, and based on others reviews I'll stay away from the Helix.

Oh,Ok.I use a Johnson therm and was just wondering if you had problems with one.Mine works great.Yep,the Johnson and Rancos are on/off therms.I haven't used either a Herpstat or Helix myself,but my buddy has had a Helix for years and it still works great.I guess all the Helix problems are with the newer ones,sounds like their QC has dropped off.How many watts are your racks using? I think the basic Herpstats are only rated for 400-500.

Hawkin' said:
Oh,Ok.I use a Johnson therm and was just wondering if you had problems with one.Mine works great.Yep,the Johnson and Rancos are on/off therms.I haven't used either a Herpstat or Helix myself,but my buddy has had a Helix for years and it still works great.I guess all the Helix problems are with the newer ones,sounds like their QC has dropped off.How many watts are your racks using? I think the basic Herpstats are only rated for 400-500.

I've got the Herpstat ND and it's rated to 500 watts.

Each rack is 50" wide 72" tall, and has two 72" pieces of flexwatt that span the back of the rack. Being that the flexwatt is the 11" variety, that's 20 watts per foot. Based on my college edumacation math skillz that would be 120 watts per section of flexwatt, or 480 for both racks. I also have two smaller racks that need to be heated and will eventually need another output for an incubator.

Maybe I'll check out the Herpstat Pro, but I was just trying to find away to avoid the huge mess of cords...
:shrugs:

I think the pros can handle around 1500 watts and have 2 outputs that can run different temps.It may be easier just to run 2 of the basic Herpstats and it might save you some $. :)

The outputs on the Herpstat II (which again there are 2 sets of 3) are each rated for 700 watts.

Regards,
Steve

I got my Herpstat ND from GLKHerp. glkherp.com I assume. He's a vendor at the local show and apparently 1 of 2 authorized USA Herpstat dealers, if you look at the Spyder Robotics website.

He's cheaper than the Bean Farm as well.

Back