• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

San Luis Potosi King...Should I??

Beothon Lover

The One an Only Kuro....
About a month i got an MBK who i named Greed(who's currently in shed) and last week when i was getting snake and lizard food(I'm there so much they've actually been letting me get my stuff by myself) well i was walking around holding the known friendly snakes...which i always do as i have special permission from the owners of the store to hold any of the snakes int there i want(I'm in there so much people ask me if i work there...i wish!)

Anyway i was walking to the cages that holds my favorite snake in the store a big(like almost 5ft big) male Florida King who's a big softie..and whom i love to pieces...well in the cage next to him i saw little spots of steel grey with red bands and i looked at the front of the cage to see what it was and it was a little 2006 San Luis Potosi King..got the little squirt out and held him/her a bit and he/she had a really nice temperament kinda reminded me of my sunglow corn and my MBK who are really calm and laid back...right then i started plotting how to get him/her

If i were to get him/her my mom would have to spot me like $25 cause all my other money is going to buy Loki(my bearded dragon) a bigger house as he is getting to big for the one he's in currently. John(one of the owners) already has $50 that i put down on another snake that I'm gonna have him switch to the Potosi...need the extra $25 cause said snake is $70..but knowing John he'll probably cut me a deal

So should i follow through with my plan and get the Potosi? Or maybe see if John has anything else that might interest me? I don't know what to do I'm so indecisive right now!

I promise to get pics of whatever snake i come home with ASAP though it might be as late as next week tuesday or wednesday cause thats when my sister returns from the Netherlands and brings back our camera with her.

I'm gonna go be indecisive else where for a couple minutes...toodles.

Bethina

Hmmm its always a tough choice when it comes to money - what was the other snake that you had money down on?

A good person to talk to here on the forums regarding Potosis (ack, that looks like the name of a disease) is Candace...."Candachan" is her screen name. She has some, and may actually have hatchlings to sell at a lower price than a pet shop....bonus is that she's relatively close to you, IIRC....I think she's in Omaha.

regards,
jazz

Hey, where've you been? I was just thinking about you the other day! Hoping you hadn't been completely consumed by school and abandoned us or something...

What was the snake you _were_ going to get?

I think we need your complete snake list to make a decision! :)

Nanci

You talking about Tails & Scales in Derby? I go there alot myself...sometimes I think I go there too much..haha. Anyway, I'm not 100% sure but the Potosi up there was owned by a buddy of mine that he took back to make room for future a future breeder pair. The snake was a great feeder and really calm..not sure if it is the same one...but, in my limited experiance with this particular species they are an awesome little addition to any collection. hope this helps a little. :cheers:

It is my fervent belief that when a person is indecisive about a purchase, it is usually because the item(s) in question are impulsively wanted. If you are clear in exactly what you want, then there is no question as to what you want, you know what it is and you get it. This is for seems true even for things you originally set out to get but find something else more akin to your fancy. When you know it in your heart, then there is no question about what to get. So, my advice to you is take some time away from thinking too much about what to buy and do something entirely different that clears you mind. As has been the case with me, when I finally come back to the question of what I want, the answer is usually more clear.

There's nothing worse than having regrets over having purchased an impulsive item and then realizing that what you really wanted was something else, especially in the case of animals.

well after thinking about it and scouring the net i decided on the Potosi...

I had money put down on a 2007 male spider ball python..which i really wanted but was to much and John had another person who wanted to him(the bp).

Jazz- thanks i'll look to candace if i ever want to have a pair of Potosis.

Nanci- I've been around mostly lurking and visiting another forum but i try to come here as often as i can though that hasn't been much lately. A complete list?....uhh...2 ball pythons, 7 corns, 4 kings, a boa, a kisatchie, a trans-peco rat snake, and a nelson's milk...i think..*counts on fingers* yep all 17(including the new Potosi)

Spartan66- yes Tails N' Scales in Derby is where i got the Potosi....last year december i got my dumeril's from there..and i met her breeder who oddly enough works at a petco. She(the Potosi) is very calm almost like my sunglow corn and MBK.

DeadMouse- I agree with what you said so i went and looked through John's inventroy on the Tails N' Scales website and after searching the net i decided on the Potosi.

So the new Potosi is doing good checked out her new house for about 2 hours and then submerged herself into her substrate and has been there ever since. I continued with my current theme when nameing her....her name is Envy...I already have Wrath(a normal stripe corn) and Greed(a MBK). She's about the size of my prairie king.

Promise to get pics soon!

Beothon

Nice choice! I think you'll really enjoy the mex-mex.

I got hooked on the mexicana species when I went to a local show earlier this year and one guy had this one snake that was just totally unique. He claimed she was a mex-mex but as I wasn't at the time clued into the mexicana species, I took his word for it. When I came home, I busted out my trusty books and found out that what I had looked more like a Durango Mountain King (greeri), with the definitive head pattern, but had the dorsal patterns of a mex-mex. Her coloring is definitely more like a mex-mex's as well. But not even Mr. Bob Applegate could ascertain what she is from my pictures and he's a well known breeder of many species of kings including greeri :shrugs:

I'm assuming at this point that she's either a hybrid or intergrade as nobody, not even breeders of mexicana species can really tell me what she is although everybody tells me she definitely has greeri in her. The nice thing about the mexicana species is that they stay relatively small for kings, usually within the 3 foot range and my experience 4 greeri and my alien hybrid is that they are a pretty mellow snake. Here's some pictures of her if interested.

I'm totally curious what yours looks like, I bet she is beautiful as most mex-mex/mexicana's are. Time to bust out the camera :D

I just hope you don't see any granite mex-mex morphs, they are totally awesome with a price tag to boot! :bang:

DeadMouse- Envy is beautiful...atleast to me.....i will get pics but my sister has to bring the camera back from the Netherlands first...as she took it with her when she went to visit her boyfriend who lives there...and she wont be back till next week tuesday(the 25th) so sadly you'll have to wait till then to see her.

The snake in pics from the link is very pretty.

Beothon

Congrats on getting the Potosi! I love the four we have here, they are all calm in general which is very nice. I've only ever been bitten once and that was because of a feeding response and she didn't even break the skin - she let go immediately.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures!
Jenn

Back