• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I cooked a FUZZY!

CALIVIK

Get this....Sat night was Cindy's time to feed. (it seems like lately everyone in the house is off on schedule:shrugs:) I went & opened Cindy's viv & off to the kitchen thawed out a fuzzy & started a frying pan of warm water (she likes them nice & hot) So I had the eye on low heat, put the fuzzy in & went back into the den to get her & noticed she had already gotten out & was on the blinds.
Here she is caught in action
11-07013.jpg

11-07014.jpg

11-07015.jpg

So after what seemed like forever wrestling her out of the tight corners of the blinds. My son started screaming upstairs & crying out to me. So I put her back in her viv & ran upstairs, he had thrown up all over himself & bed. So I showered him, changed his sheets & put him back to bed. So as I am taking the sheets down. I go through the kitchen & I smell this horrific FUNK. I mean it was really horrible. Then it dawned on me. I had left that fuzzy on its back in that water while it was on low cooking! It had EXPLOIDED!! :eek: It was so NASTY! LOL its funny now, but my gosh that was the longest night EVER!
Cindy finally got to eat around Midnight..poor girl!
I am so glad they eat raw instead of cooked! :eek1:

:eek:Ewwwwwww! I thaw in hot water, then pop the dried off mice under a reading lamp. You poor thing, that must have been nasty.

Thanks J9 I thaw for her & then warm w/ warm water from the stove then damp dry w/ towel, the others get them thaw w/ warm tap water, not Miss Picky here...lol I just lay the fuzzy in the warm water AFTER I turn off the eye & then flip it...I had so much drama going on I totally forgot! It was a NASTY MESS. :eek: stuck to the pan....ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Yall have to remember I have been in snakes for only 4.5mths. I am trying really hard! I promise! Dalton had the FLU, so he was up all night. It was not a good night at all! :(

Please tell me I am not the only one...:eek1:

I'm feeling for you, girl. My snakes love the new 'hot mice' regime, but the mice tend to bleed a lot more when they constrict them, it's a lot messier.
Poor Dalton, hope he's better soon (Hug from across the sea to him)

I haven't had quite the same thing happen. My son wanted to feed one of the babies awhile ago...
He squeezed the pink a little too hard with the tongs and squirted pinkie guts all over. Not nearly as bad, but it wasn't too friendly either. :shrugs:

ewwww! thats really gross... I cant imagine ... but still as a read it... I did kinda have to laugh, sorry :D Maybe next time you can use a method I use.... I warm the pinks in hot water first, then I nuke some water til its really hot and then Just before feeding I put it in that really hot nuked water for a few moments.... that will usually bring it up to striking temps ;) but I also use a plastic disposable cup so that if something nasty does happen it can all be thrown away instead of having to clean it up :) I do this for all my snakes and they all seem to like it so.... might be worth a try? :) Good luck and I hope your little boy gets well soon! :)

what if your feeding your snake live? and you have to stun them. how do you know if you have stunned them enough? by the way thats hilarious. how could you cook the poor pinky. By the way hope your son gets better.

That is gross! I accidentally baked a lizard once. It was dead, and I wanted to recover the skeleton, so I thought that, like I removed a chicken skeleton in 6th grade, I would just boil it till the meat came off. So then I forgot about it, and when I remembered, the water had all boiled off and the lizard was baked onto the bottom of the pan and I had to throw the whole thing out.

You're probably the only person who warms mice in a frying pan, though!

Nanci

Oh how horrible, boy I hope you threw the pan away! Hope your son is feeling better. Cute pics of the snake hiding in the blinds. Little Stinker!

made a pinky,fuzzy,hopper thawer and use that.
Just a medium deep deli cup with a small hole (size of the water stream) on the center of the lid
I pop my mouscicles in and pop on the lid and then turn on the hot water and let it run through the hold in the lid
the little guys tumble and tumble inside and cant get out. 5 min is all it takes and they are nice and hot! 120 F

I'll never forget Maizey's first FT mouse- it was doing the back float, waving at me!

NAnci

Thanks yall for all the laughs & advice. :eek1: I swear I turn the eye off! I just walked off & got caught up in the drama that went on ALL NIGHT! Arghhhhhh!

Dalton stayed in bed all day Sunday & was back to normal for school on Monday. No one else got sick in the house, which is ODD, one has it we all get it. :shrugs:

TA!

Back