• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Man, I'm Gutted...

Snake Dave

Schrödinger's cat
Hey everyone

Today is a sad day for me; I had to give up my Royal. She was 3, and had always been a bit fiesty, but I didn't think it would come to this.

My Mum has been annoyed with her ever since she ruined a sofa (released her bowels), but last night was the last straw apparently. I was handling her and she was fine, but my Mum came into the room looking for some paper, and saw that I was handling her. So she came over to say hello. Medusa reared up and drew back into the defensive posture, so I warned my Mum. She agreed and so turned to walk away, and Medusa struck at the back of her arm and connected. Now, as I've said, she's 3 years old and weighs about 1400 grams, so she's a big girl, and she packs a wallop. My Mum then screamed and dropped a hole-punch on her foot.

So I quickly put Medusa back and went to help my Mum, and she was furious (she has punctures and a nasty bruise coming). She then said 'we're getting rid of her tommorow'.

I tried to reason with her but she was too hurt and upset to listen. So today, I had to take her down to a local reptile shop (I know the guy, he's friendly and knowledgeable), and he's going to look after her and hopefully sell her to a new owner.

As the title says, I'm gutted about this, and it really upsets me to look into her tank and see nothing.

Thanks for reading anyway, saying all this in the open has helped.

All the best

David

Wow sorry to hear that man, but maybe if you like the guys at the pet store enough they'll hold onto her for a little bit? Give your mom some time to calm down?

That's tough David. :awcrap:

Can a compromise be worked out where you only handle Medusa in your room?

Sorry to hear about your mom. Your old enough to be on your own. Glad your snake is ok.

Glad to hear the snake is ok...Sorry. Any chance Mom will cool down and reconsider?

Thanks for the kind words guys, I did suggest that Rich, but the thing is she wasn't keen on me getting her in the first place. I think this gave her an excuse to use her 'I own this house, so I decide what lives here' card.

Jenn, the guy at the pet store suggested that, but my Mum said no. I'm so freaking angry at her, I shouted at her and called her a re****, because how can you own an animal and expect to never be bitten or scratched etc. She said 'It's YOUR animal, I didn't want anything to do with them and I didn't expect to be bitten from behind as I walked through my own house!'

I guess the one positive aspect of this whole ordeal is that I don't have to shell out another £80+ for a new tank for my Corn. I'm going to move him into a 36" * 18" * 18" by the end of the week, and I just spent a fortune on loads of awesome stuff for him to explore.

- 2 new hides (he's got his old ones too)
- 3 new plants
- 2 Exo-Terra Jungle Vines
- 1 70cm branch
- Aspen

So he should have a nice new tank in which to play :)

Sorry to hear about your mom. Your old enough to be on your own. Glad your snake is ok.

Thanks, yeah well I've only got a year and a half and then I'm off to uni. Then when I get my own place I can have all the reptiles I can afford (which probably won't be many lol).

Maybe it is different elsewhere, but around here at 16 it is pretty hard to find a good job, rent an apartment, have your own auto insurance policy, etc....

Wished I lived in Wadeland when I was 16!! :)

(just teasing Wade ;) )

Sorry to hear about the royal, hope things might be possible to get her back.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, all I can do now is just do the best I can with my remaining reptiles, and I don't care what happens she isn't going to get rid of any others.

Maybe it is different elsewhere, but around here at 16 it is pretty hard to find a good job, rent an apartment, have your own auto insurance policy, etc....

Wished I lived in Wadeland when I was 16!! :)

(just teasing Wade ;) )

Sorry to hear about the royal, hope things might be possible to get her back.

I'm just saying, it looks like your choosing food and security over having your snakes. That's a no brainer in Wadeland.

:rofl:

Sorry to hear about that. What a shame. :(

I don't think yelling at your mum is going to help here. It sounds like she's never been very comfortable with your snakes and I can see why she would be rattled after being bitten by a big BP. She will probably respond better to an apologetic route - it may not get you back your BP, but maybe it will help for your other snakes and others you were maybe hoping to keep while you still live with your mum. :shrugs:

I feel bad for you losing your snake. :( But I feel bad for your mum too - she heeded your warning, probably just didn't realise she was within the snake's range.

Hope you can sort something out!

Thanks Becks, no I was apologetic at the start, but when she continued to rant and rave my patience thinned. I tried to explain it to her but she became so focused on getting rid of her that I couldn't possibly persuade her. I did feel sorry for her, I apologised, but Medusa has always been a grumpy snake. She even struck at the guy in the shop after he put her into her new home.

Then when I got back she could see that I was upset since I'd just lost my pet (one I paid £150 for, and I probably won't get half back from the store re-selling her), but she didn't bother to apologise or offer kind words, so I lost it.

Then when I got back she could see that I was upset since I'd just lost my pet (one I paid £150 for, and I probably won't get half back from the store re-selling her), but she didn't bother to apologise or offer kind words, so I lost it.

I am very sorry to hear that, David. I understand why you would be mad, I probably would have been very upset at that time as well. It is good that you know the shop owner and its good your snake can have a chance at finding another nice home.

Thank you, my fellow Dave. Yeah, there are two reptile-specific (well, one sells fish too, but mostly reptiles) shops within 10 miles, which is pretty good. I chose that particular store because he's a nice, friendly guy that gives discounts to regulars, and I know that he takes great care of his reptiles. The other shop smells, I've been in there one week, then come back the next to find that a few of the tanks haven't even been cleaned once. They have a fully-grown Red Tegu in a tank that's far too small for him, with one small hide, virtually no substrate and a cat litter tray (used as a water bowl) which is disgraceful. I try not to go in there, but sometimes the owner of the other store doesn't always have what I need. It pains me to go in there, but I don't think it's in bad enough condition for the RSPCA to come and inspect it.

But today I placed a big ol' order from livefoods.co.uk, which will fill my Corn's new tank (my Python's 36" * 18" * 18") and he'll have plenty to explore and play with. :)

Here's a picture of the tank he'll be moving into. It took me about 30 minutes to get it all clean and pristine again, it looks so bare now...

Attachments

• 012 - edited.jpg
    012 - edited.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 39
I'm realllly sorry about that, at first my mum was scared of them, but she's proven she's not because in the last year she's handled my snakes atleast 10 times, the only one she wont even consider handling is Sabrina, if I walk in a room with sabrina my mums like "she's giving me that look again george, take her upstairs" LOL

Shame you dont live closer to Leeds, i could see if i could tame it down for you. I have got a 100% record with these guys now with taming.

I know what you mean about being grumpy because i find that all mine are a little funny to other people. They have never bite anyone else but they dont like anyone. Jeez they really do hurt tho if they do bite. That rescue male bit me a few times before i tamed it and it feels like getting hit on the hand with a hammer that has pins on.

Thanks mate, yeah I know, now imagine if it was a female lol.

Oh and all the stuff that I ordered yesterday has been processed, so hopefully it should be here by tommorow. That way I can re-model the tank shown above.

Sorry to hear about what happend, If you cant get your royal back I hope it finds a good home!

Back