• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Stupid Snakes!

Roy Munson

My '06 female African house snake has been on a hunger strike for two months. She had been a consistent and eager feeder before then. My '06 male was a great feeder too until summer, but then he started going on 4-6 week strikes now and then. He's on week 4 or 5 of his most recent strike. They both still looked fine-- robust even, but tonight I broke down and bought them each a live mouse while I was getting a live fuzzy for my '07 Hondo. Of course, that's what they wanted. The Hondo started out on live, took one f/t from me, but has demanded live since.

While I'm glad they're eating, and I've said before that it's wrong to call a live-demander a problem feeder, it's still a pain. And my local pet store ain't cheap either. I gave the guy ringing me up $10 for the three mice, and I got back 35 cents. Ouch. They better convert soon, or I'll cohab them with my big FL king girl. She'd put a stop to the nonsense very quickly... ;)

Attachments

• 111707 racer fs (10).JPG
    111707 racer fs (10).JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 112607 ishmael rs (8).JPG
    112607 ishmael rs (8).JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 091207 portia (2).JPG
    091207 portia (2).JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 161
Hey Dean:
My guys do very well on African rats; frozen/thawed or live. Are they available in your area? Mine were fussy about live mice and then I tried the African rats and I haven't had a problem since. If you want I could send you some to try; frozen of course! Those live ones don't travel so well. lol
Terri
P.S. - The hypo-bloodreds are doing great. Thanks again!

Hey Dean:
My guys do very well on African rats; frozen/thawed or live. Are they available in your area? Mine were fussy about live mice and then I tried the African rats and I haven't had a problem since. If you want I could send you some to try; frozen of course! Those live ones don't travel so well. lol
Terri
P.S. - The hypo-bloodreds are doing great. Thanks again!

Hey Terri! Good to see you around. :) I'm glad the hypo-bloods are doing well. I kept a male from that clutch, and he's somewhere near 50g now. That was a good batch. ;)

Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind. They were doing fine on regular ol' TMF feeder mice; I don't know what happened. One thing I never really tried was dancing around an f/t to elicit a strike. I'll probably do that next time. But if they get stubborn again, I just may take you up on that offer!

I hate feeding live too, it is more expensive also.. I hope they switch over for you soon..
They are beautiful though!!!

I am thinking of getting some live food for one of my adult BP's that has not had anything to eat now for 11 weeks. She is getting skinny but i am really in teo minds if i want to mess about trying to convert back.

The Hondo is the last one? What a handsome snake :)

Good luck getting them to eat f/t... sounds like a great threat to me :)

Dean - I'm feeling your pain. My cali king will only eat 1 out of every 6 F/T mice I offer. I broke down and bought her a live one which she bit, but decided not to eat. ARGH! I'm hoping its a seasonal thing. Kings are supposed to be voracious!

Ouch. They better convert soon, or I'll cohab them with my big FL king girl. She'd put a stop to the nonsense very quickly... ;)

Send them to my place if this doesn't happen. I would have no problems feeding live mooses to these varmits. :crazy02:

lol good luck Dean, I am sure they will convert for you.

And my local pet store ain't cheap either. I gave the guy ringing me up $10 for the three mice, and I got back 35 cents. Ouch. They better convert soon, or I'll cohab them with my big FL king girl. She'd put a stop to the nonsense very quickly... ;)

And I thought my store was overcharging at $1.69 a pop.

finicky BP

I am thinking of getting some live food for one of my adult BP's that has not had anything to eat now for 11 weeks. She is getting skinny but i am really in teo minds if i want to mess about trying to convert back.

my BP gave me all kinds of trouble for a while then i found out she has a color preference. I tried F/T and live even leaving her in a warm dark tub with a live mouse and nothing. Good thing my corns, at the time, weren't picky at all!

then one day i had a black mouse and was playing with it a bit before feeding one of my corns and i noticed my BP glaring at it from its cage. so i was like why not. I dropped it in and it was gone in under 2 mins. been buying dark colored or multicolored for her ever since without a hitch.

Best of luck to everyone with feeding issues.

Roy, they truly are great looking!

Dean just send them finicky eaters my way! I've always got a couple live mice around. I don't want you to get too stressed & feed them off. ;) I'm sure they'll switch back after the breeding season.:)

Dean - I'm feeling your pain. My cali king will only eat 1 out of every 6 F/T mice I offer. I broke down and bought her a live one which she bit, but decided not to eat. ARGH! I'm hoping its a seasonal thing. Kings are supposed to be voracious!

Mine does the exact same thing. Fortunately my giant frogs and skink are trash compactors... nothing goes to waste. ;)

Back