• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

NEW WATER DRAGON!

My new addition to the family, he/she is so placid, and his colours are amazing. Just a few pics. and im going to get him/her settled in. Im so excited

Attachments

• Picture 032.jpg
    Picture 032.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 80
Iv jus got his viv set up, with water feature. I wish i had a proper camera, the phone im using does him no justice.

Pictures of his new home

Attachments

• Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Picture 037.jpg
    Picture 037.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Picture 038.jpg
    Picture 038.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture 039.jpg
    Picture 039.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 50
His previous owners called him Reggie. But im not 100% on his/her sex yet. My other half is responsible for the set up, bless her she was up most of last night sorting it out

I had a ramshorn snail called Reggie! Is he a Chinese or Australian W D? Reg sounds god for an ozzie!

Any idea how old it is? Even if you don't, it looks to be over 18-20" so I'm guessing it's an adult.

Based on that, I'd say you've got yourself a lovely little female. Sexing Water Dragons is typically really hard, but most of the time you can tell by comparison. I'm saying female based on the following:

Her head still retains it's juvenile shape -- in an adult male, it would appear more triangular and thick. Male's jowls tend to get larger than the ones I see as well.

She's got next to no crest and her dorsal spikes are extremely small. Also, her tail is still rounded in appearance which is always a pretty good sign it's female.

My next point is why I asked how old she was. If she's an adult, you'll need to do a little extra care-wise to keep her healthy.

Mainly, you'll have to watch her more closely than you would a male. Females can produce and lay eggs with or without being bred. The eggs are not fertile of course, but if she doesn't have a spot to lay them, she'll become bound and die. You'll need to provide a laying area with 8-10" of moist soil in there if you notice her belly start to bulge. You'll also have to supplement the calcium a little heavier during the gravid time as well.

She's a very good looking CWD. I'm quite jealous!

He's so cool! He always has the perfect pose, too. He looks like he'd be really active. What do they eat? I've changed a few names, more often than not, I guess, and left some. Jake got to keep his name, because it was perfect.

They're omnivores, so they'll eat pretty much the same things Isabel does. They tend to require more protein as adults than BD's, though. Veggies/fruits should only make up 10-15% of their diet as adults. They're also less prone to impaction like beardies, so they do better on insects with a higher chitin count.

Hornworms, superworms, mealworms, crickets, locusts, earthworms, waxworms, grasshoppers and even small feeder fish 'can' be used. I know of a CWD that absolutely LOVES his goldfish. Eats them like they're going out of style.

As adults, you can also feed them pinkies and small fuzzies once or twice a week.

Edited: Also, ROACHES! Mine loved Blaptica Dubias...

Any idea how old it is? Even if you don't, it looks to be over 18-20" so I'm guessing it's an adult.

Based on that, I'd say you've got yourself a lovely little female. Sexing Water Dragons is typically really hard, but most of the time you can tell by comparison. I'm saying female based on the following:

Her head still retains it's juvenile shape -- in an adult male, it would appear more triangular and thick. Male's jowls tend to get larger than the ones I see as well.

She's got next to no crest and her dorsal spikes are extremely small. Also, her tail is still rounded in appearance which is always a pretty good sign it's female.

My next point is why I asked how old she was. If she's an adult, you'll need to do a little extra care-wise to keep her healthy.

Mainly, you'll have to watch her more closely than you would a male. Females can produce and lay eggs with or without being bred. The eggs are not fertile of course, but if she doesn't have a spot to lay them, she'll become bound and die. You'll need to provide a laying area with 8-10" of moist soil in there if you notice her belly start to bulge. You'll also have to supplement the calcium a little heavier during the gravid time as well.

She's a very good looking CWD. I'm quite jealous!

Thanks for the input Matthew. She was more of a rescue than a buy so my knowledge is limited, at the moment.

Oh, well feel free to ask questions if you'd like! I'm well versed in general knowledge and care of them, so I can get you headed down the right track if needed.

Yours really is a wonderful specimen. I'm glad to hear she's docile, too! Adults (more often than not) tend to be flightly.

There's a REALLY good page on CWD's out there, but you'll have to give me a few minutes to find it. I can't remember what it was atm, but I'll edit this when I find it.

Edit: Heh, it was easier than I thought. My goofy arse still had the site in my bookmarks. /blush

http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/dragoncr.htm

Back