• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Earliest recollection

snakewispera snr

The Devils Advocate
I was at a family function recently....My brother and I started to recount events that we got up to as kids....Well I am 50 and my bro is 47, so the folks can't ground us now for owning up...LOL...
I was coming up with events that even my bro had forgotten about, when my folks commented on how good my memory is....Then my mother asked how far back I could remember.....I recalled a story to them, to which my mother said "you can't possibly remember that". My father on the other hand said "obviously he can, as only the three (me, my mam and dad) of us were there. And all the things he said are right."
It turned out I could remember being vaccinated as a baby (6 months old). I could remember the woman who done it...The tray with the bottles....the room we waited in....the floor boards.....Too many precise details for it not to be a true recollection.....My family were amazed that I could remember that far back.
So what is your earliest recollection.....And please, no fruit loops remembering the womb.....LOL

My earliest memories are of my toys. I had these little plastic shapes that snap together. And the post that you put the different-sized plastic rings on to make a pyramid.

Oh here's one - at the babysitter it seemed like I never slept at nap time. I would go in this room with a bed that had a three-cornered hat hanging on the post (like a Paul Revere hat). I just rememember laying there bored out of my mind playing with that hat.

1) I remember being in my pram as a baby (too young to sit up or speak) in the front garden. A bee got in under the protective netting and scared the bejasus out of me. I remember yelling my head off but nobody came. By the time my Mum showed up, the bee had got back out the way it came.

I must only have been a few months old. Have been phobic about bees and wasps ever since....

2) This one is verified by other family members. I was sitting in my high chair at my grandparents' house, being fed dinner. I wanted to feed myself but I couldn't talk at that point. I kept trying to grab the spoon, but my Mum took this as an indication that she should just shovel the food in faster. I ended up nearly choking and very angry that I couldn't make her hand over the cutlery! I was about a year old.

Oh good topic!

I remember my dad changing my diaper, I was lying on my back looking up at him - I know that I wasn't able to talk, but I just remember him making faces at me and me feeling... glowy and happy. And I remember giggling. Don't know how old I was.

I remember what I had for dinner last night...I think.

Actually, I have severel memories of early childhood, but have no idea which is the earliest, but I can say that they all happened somewhere between the ages of 3 and 5 as my younger sister had already been born and was at least a toddler.

One involves my older brother and I wanting to send for a stuffed toy from a box of cereal. Your reference to "fruit loops" is uncanny, as the toy was Toucan Sam!

Another is of my losing a special toy under the stairs to the basement. It was a little blue fish that my Mom had knitted for me. It was the first real heart-breaking moment of my life.

The last memory is in the house across the street and of their fish tank. I believe it was the night our house had caught fire (in the basement), but I would have to ask my Mom how old I was at the time.

Back