• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

MBKs are Breeding! (Rough Love)

Roy Munson

My old, beat-up car broke down this morning, so I'm "working from home" today. Since I've heard that kings can stay locked-up for hours, and I've never bred any kings before, I decided to put my male '06 (Pedro) and my female '05 (Maria) together since I'd be home to supervise. They fumbled around for a while, Pedro showing intense interest and Maria acting seemingly indifferent, but finally they got down to business. She's 200-300g heavier than he is, so I was afraid she'd eat him (both have eaten culled hatchlings and slugs before). But she didn't. I've still been checking them frequently though. On my last check, I found Pedro latched onto Maria's side. I guess he likes it a little rough...

Attachments

• pedro bites maria (1).JPG
    pedro bites maria (1).JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 118
You must have nerves of steel Dean - if any male MBK tried to bite my precious Sabrina then I'd have them in separate tubs before you blinked!

Have they locked yet? I hope they do before he eats her!

You must have nerves of steel Dean - if any male MBK tried to bite my precious Sabrina then I'd have them in separate tubs before you blinked!

Have they locked yet? I hope they do before he eats her!
:) They'd been locked for at least an hour before the bite. I watched them VERY closely from introduction to "courtship" to hookup. And I've been checking them periodically since. She's in no danger from him. She's around 550g and I don't think he's even 300g. I was worried for him!

Eriathiel said:
Gosh I hope it continues to go well! Thats one love bite!
Thanks. I just checked them 30 seconds ago, and they're in the same positions-- hooked-up, with him latched onto her. :)

Elle said:
Congrats Dean! Rough love is good love ;)
Thanks. :) My mind is mushy. I think I saw one of my male corns do this to a female many years ago. It's interesting anyway. She doesn't seem to care. I just hope she doesn't pull a "black widow" move on him when they're finished... ;)

Congrats! Get ready for some huge monster eggs! :dancer:

Thanks Carol! :) I'm ready. And Maria is toned, and strong enough to crack my knuckles when she's got a good grip on my hand, so she won't have any problems passing 'em. You produced an ox in that one. ;)

Congrats! My Rico did the love bite thing as well. They're were only hooked up for 5 hours, so no biggie, lol. Hopefully you don't have the scare I did. Rico was kinda "stuck" out for about 30 minutes or so after before everything finally went back in place. He hasn't stopped looking for another encounter since, so guess it didn't really hurt him, though. And the eggs are definitely bigger than corn eggs.

Congrats! My Rico did the love bite thing as well. They're were only hooked up for 5 hours, so no biggie, lol. Hopefully you don't have the scare I did. Rico was kinda "stuck" out for about 30 minutes or so after before everything finally went back in place. He hasn't stopped looking for another encounter since, so guess it didn't really hurt him, though. And the eggs are definitely bigger than corn eggs.

Thanks. :) Hope Pedro doesn't get "stuck out". I think they've been locked for about 4 hours now, and the female's finally starting to creep around a little, so maybe they're almost done.

I haven't decided if I'm going to put them together for a second session. I think I remember Carol once telling me that these have a tendency toward multiple-clutching, and I'd like to avoid that. :shrugs:

Yes they can double and even triple clutch, but my female doesn't unless I rebrumate, which means just bringing her down to a dark room tempreture spot for a few weeks. Now I only have her give me one clutch a year since she is getting old. I recently bought another female that I'm giving one more year to mature and I have a killer holdback female that is halfway to adulthood. I think it's easier on me and the snakes to just get another female than to provide the perfect conditions to multiple clutch. :shrugs: Anyhoo Maria's mom was in the process of laying eggs this morning. Every year it shocks me how big they are.

...Since I've heard that kings can stay locked-up for hours, and I've never bred any kings before...

I am SOOOO glad I heard about this before I put any kings together! Luckily, it won't be until next year, but I like the fore-warning! I don't recall reading any of that in my book on kingsnakes.

Wishing you some nice big king eggs, Dean! A little roughness only makes things more exciting! ;)

I am SOOOO glad I heard about this before I put any kings together! Luckily, it won't be until next year, but I like the fore-warning! I don't recall reading any of that in my book on kingsnakes.
It really was weird for a corn guy like me! They were actually "coupled" for almost five full hours. It's funny, because I put a pair of corns together (and the female was a virgin) at the same time, and they were done with EVERYTHING within 30 or 40 minutes-- maybe less.

Wishing you some nice big king eggs, Dean! A little roughness only makes things more exciting! ;)
Thanks Susan. :) Yeah, a little roughness is cool, but five hours of it? Better have some aloe and an ice-pack handy! :grin01:

If she pulls out some fluffy handcuffs, run for the hills! :sidestep:

:cheers:

ROFL!!!! That cracked me up.... hehe

Kings are CRAZY! My female Brooksi ATE her mate this year. I was NOT a happy mommy. So when I put the MBK's together I watched em close. Six hours of watching. He bit her several times... insane.

Corns just know how to get a job done. Without having to eat their mate... <sigh>

Great pics!!

Enjoy

Tonya

LOL I paired up my speckled to my california king and did not know about their extensive sessions... I thought he was stuck or something... fortunately I found someone online to comfirm it was normal so I could go to bed. At that time they had been hooked up for like 4-5 hours already and going all over the place... It looked like his parts would be torn off... ouch :s He hung on to her with his teeth a lot and she had bruises and a bite... I put some antibacterial drops on the bite and she is ok. But she did not want a second go a week later....

Back