• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ferrets.

Monger

Bababooey
Does anybody around here have a ferret?

I'm not big on rodents, but my brother purchased a baby ferret a little under a year ago and there are few things more adorable in the world than that little fella. He used to bite A LOT when he was younger, but he's really mellowed with age.

I introduced him to my corn the other day.. the ferret tried to eat him :-/. Sort of a reversal or roles I guess - the ferret didn't actually get to bit/eat the snake, but boy did he try. It was probably an ill-advised move.

I'll post some pictures of Griff later :)

I have two ferrets and they are adorable and super fun stinky monsters...however remember who is in their family tree! Mongoose hunt and kill snakes and they are cousins. So of course I would never allow my ferret around them. Ferrets are hunters...you would be amazed at their bravery and cunning. I have seen video of people letting them kill their own!

"Sort of a reversal or roles I guess"

Not really, ferrets are snake eaters - they are *everything* eaters.
http://www.exotichobbyist.com/NaturalFerret.html

There was a girl with a leashed ferret who came to our table at the Pet Expo. S is usually pretty easy going - but she got really tense when she saw the ferret and asked to girl to stand far away from our snakes. The girl said "It's ok, he's really mellow and he never bites" S replied, "I'd prefer if you keep your distance anyway, thanks".

Ferrets aren't rodents, they are from the same family as weasels and martins, the mustelids. In this country as well as being kept as pets many are used to kill rats and rabbits. (Mostly with rabbits they cause the rabbits to bolt out of the warren into nets or so the rabbits can be shot)

Ferrets are NOT Rodents.
They are related to Skunks, raccoons and Wolverines along with pole cats and weasels.
Snakes are carnivores and will attack smaller animals.

Remember never ever allow your snakes or herps around your dogs, cats and ferrets. Never ever trust your animals around a herp. Things may go badly around them. The pets are friendly around you but to them this is a PREY item or a chew Toy.

Ferrets are NOT Rodents.
They are related to Skunks, raccoons and Wolverines along with pole cats and weasels.
Snakes are carnivores and will attack smaller animals.

Yeah, I got the message the first couple of times. You learn something new every day, as they say.

That's why this place is so great, theres no shortage of people lining up to show you how much they know :)

I suppose if the ferret were mine, I'd have done a bit more research. Looks like a rodent to me though :shrugs:

As far as not allowing other animals around herps, that goes without saying. It was a very controlled environment, with my brother holding the ferret and myself holding the snake. They got within maybe two feet of one another before the ferret went nuts.. must have smelled food!

Well, ferrets are super inquisitive not to mention fearless. It may just as likely have been excited over something it had never seen before, but they do tend to kill small animals whenever they come into contact with them. Rodents, snakes, birds, etc.

As far as not allowing other animals around herps, that goes without saying. It was a very controlled environment, with my brother holding the ferret and myself holding the snake. They got within maybe two feet of one another before the ferret went nuts.. must have smelled food!

This is a bad idea as you found out. Never ever trust another pet around your reptiles.

Didn't ferrets used to be used as help when hunting? As in, people trained them...

Yeah... ferret + snake = bad idea.

Hi,
I have a ferret that is 18 months old. They are really fun, more like a dog than a cat. He is very active and loves to play.

I would not trust him around any reptiles, birds or small mammals. They are hunters and retain all the instinct.

Yeah ferrets are often used in Ratting and on rabbit warrens, my grandad used to get paid to help clear rats from his local mill with ferrets and a terrier or 2.

Back