• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

backwards scales

Traci

We just came back from the vet. Sydney had a bad shed last time and I then noticed these "wrinkles". Come to find out the scales on his sides are backwards. He told me to bump up the humidity and rub vitamin E oil on him everyother day. Has anyone had this problem before and if so what steps were taken. Also how long does it usually take to correct itself?
Thanks alot.

Strange... I've never even heard of scales growing in backwards. I didn't know they could do that. Sorry I'm of no help with this issue. Maybe with the next shed the new scales will grow in the right way if all the conditions are right.

I have seen scales that are bent over and soft, that won't lay down--kinda like a cowlick--but only in my pythons. They usually go away after the next shed. I never new what caused them. I did have a corn snake hold onto it's eyescale once. I tried to remove it to no avail. It was gross. I thought the snake would have it for life--no infection just a large lump over 1 eye. Two sheds later it came off. No trace of anything left behind.

Can you post a photo? I haven't read about anything quite like you describe, and can't offer any advice without getting a more accurate picture.

Best,
Doctor Mike

Back