• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is it safe to raise one's own feeders?

LBoz

Original Curmudgeon
I've got a young man on my forum getting rather snippy with another member regarding the practice of raising his own feeders. The snippy guy says it is "unequivocally" unsafe practice to raise feeders (these are to feed to his florida gar, by the way) due to the introduction of parasites to the fish.

Aren't there people here who use live feeders that they raise themselves? If so, do you use precautionary treatments on them periodically to eradicate possible parasites? I know for safety reasons that it might not be the best practice to give live feeders to snakes due to injury, but it's still done, correct?

Any insight would really be appreciated. I don't want to lay the smack down on him until I hear some other opinions. Although I want to just for his snarky attitude. :nope: Thanks!

Last edited:
I've got a young man on my forum getting rather snippy with another member regarding the practice of raising his own feeders. The snippy guy says it is "unequivocally" unsafe practice to raise feeders (these are to feed to his florida gar, by the way) due to the introduction of parasites to the fish.

Raising feeders yourself actually lessens the risk of parasites, especially when it comes to fish. Feeder fish sold in stores are raised in atrocious conditions and are subject to weak immune systems, disease and parasites. If live feeders must be fed, then raising your own is the safest way to do it.

That's EXACTLY what I thought, and thank you. I've been doing some searches here but can't find anything that mentions dangers of parasites from home grown feeders. I don't even know what type of parasites a self-raised feeder would have other than mites? And obviously mites would die when the feeder was placed into a tank. He's basing his "expertise" on "one article I read this one time when I was thinkin' about raising mice for my beardie said it wasn't safe." Um...ok.

Whoa, okay. If he's flipping out based on the authority of a single article he read 'some time' then it's pretty much okay to dismiss his opinion as unsubstantiated. Without identifying the article itself, it could have been parody for all we know.

Back