• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bought A Snake Book

Nanci

Alien Lover
It's about Joe Slowinski! If you know what happens to him- don't tell me. I have a feeling there is not a good ending here. But it's an adventure.

Attachments

• Book 002.jpg
    Book 002.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 301
I've not read the actual book, but many excerpts about it. It's a very interesting read. Let us know what you think of it.

It's really good so far. I feel like sitting out by the water garden and reading it right now, but I'm trying to make it last!

I'm done with it! Excellent!! I'd highly recommend it to anyone. I'm sending it up to Dave123 to read, after that- he can pass it on to anyone.

I'm done with it! Excellent!! I'd highly recommend it to anyone. I'm sending it up to Dave123 to read, after that- he can pass it on to anyone.

Sounds good, Nanci! I look forward to reading it! Then if anyone wants it I will gladly pass it on to them!

When you find out what happened, you have to tell me what your reaction is. Then I'll tell you mine. I was telling my friend Bill (that I got Choco and Addy and Krusty from) I had this book, and he says "Oh is that the guy that ______________?" Apparently it is well-known among some reptile geeks.

And I hadn't been paying attention so much to the dates, but the whole THING happens on 9-11, too. Wow.

Perhaps this forum needs a "book club" sub forum. You know I'd actually be pretty into that. I love reading, and discussing intriguing books on this forum would be a real kick!

I would like to be the one after Robbie! So Robbie when your done can you send it to me? and I will send it to whoever would like it next :0)

Dave123, when you're done, you can pass it on to me! And then I'll pass it on to the next in line!

Sounds good. I will send it on to you after I am done reading. Luckily I finished my summer reading book so hopefully I can finish this one quickly! And Nanci I will tell you my response to whatever happens!

When you find out what happened, you have to tell me what your reaction is. Then I'll tell you mine. I was telling my friend Bill (that I got Choco and Addy and Krusty from) I had this book, and he says "Oh is that the guy that ______________?" Apparently it is well-known among some reptile geeks.

And I hadn't been paying attention so much to the dates, but the whole THING happens on 9-11, too. Wow.

I wouldn't think it is all "geeks" that know who he is. He was a true herpetologist (one of the science types, not the raising and breeding snake types) and it is well known among the science people what happened. Does not happen often in the science world so it was a shock when the news broke. I won't mention more, though.

On a side note, in his honor there has been a species named after him. In fact, it is related to the corn snake. It was once thought to be a naturally occurring intergrade between the corn snake and the Great Plains Ratsnake but now it is its own species. Pantherophis slowinskii.

And...if there is a list around for the book I wouldn't mind getting on it.

Jeff, I didn't mean geek in a bad way. I meant non-professional/academic reptile super-enthusiasts. There is at least one other species named after him, possibly two. Dave has the book- so I can't look it up. When I read the cover, I immediately recognized the name from the ratsnake, but I thought he'd discovered it, not his friend/colleague named it after him.

Jeff, I didn't mean geek in a bad way. I meant non-professional/academic reptile super-enthusiasts. There is at least one other species named after him, possibly two. Dave has the book- so I can't look it up. When I read the cover, I immediately recognized the name from the ratsnake, but I thought he'd discovered it, not his friend/colleague named it after him.

I didn't think you meant geek in a bad way. Just don't want you thinking all us science types are geeks! ;)

That being said....In the old days of science it was perfectly acceptable to name something after yourself. In today's science community, however, it is frowned upon to give yourself credit. Why? I don't know...but that is the way it seems to work.

For what it is worth, it was one of Joe's students (Frank Burbrink) who named the snake after him. The publication is in Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 25:465-476 year 2002.

I didn't think you meant geek in a bad way. Just don't want you thinking all us science types are geeks! ;)

Oh admit it, we are! At least I am :p

This thread is kinda neat for me since I'm just starting out in science (and herpetology in particular). I work on some of the same snakes Joe Slowinski did for my master's project and I sat next to Frank Burbrink when I went to my first big conference last year.

If you all haven't read it, Their Blood Runs Cold is a good "fun" herp book. It's a pretty easy read and quite entertaining.

Back