• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Job Rant

Voodoo

User Extraordinaire
This post is intended more as therapy for me, just to get something off my chest. Replies are of course welcome, as I'd love to see what everyone thinks about this.

A little background info first. I've been at my current job for just shy of 5 years. I've come in on time, and performed at the highest level possible the entire time I've been employed here. I've applied for many promotions and jobs over the course of the last 5 years, and have never quite made the cut (which I accept and understand why I didn't get the previous jobs).

However, this last January, I applied for a really important position and got the job! But then, two days later, someone from the corporate office decided that the company doesn't really need the position for which I was hired... So, he told me that they would need to analyze the position a little further and get back to me within a month. Crappy, right? Wait, it gets worse.

A month goes by, and I haven't heard anything..so, I inquire. Again, I'm told the position is still being analyzed and I'll be kept "in the loop."

After waiting for 6 months (all the while continuing to exceed the company's standards and goals), and after several more inquiries into the status of the job they stripped away from me, I come into work today to find an e-mail sent to everyone in my location, offering the same exact job I had been given before (but with slightly different title / same exact job description.

Now, my dilemma is....I've brought about many positive changes and contributed more than my fair share to this company for 5 years. I've given them 5 years of my life, and my total dedication to my work and my clients....and this is how they are going to keep me "in the loop?"

No one came to me to even tell me, "ya know, we're just looking for someone else instead of you," or anything similar to this. They're just going to open the job back up for grabs and not talk to me about it at all.

Now, this isn't the first time this has happened to me at this company, but I'm thinking it should definitely be the last. I tried talking to the person in charge of hiring for this position and expressed my disappointment that this job was basically taken away from me without my prior knowledge. Of course, I was met with the typical sugar coated smiles and apologies. The only explanation I received is that they were not aware that I was given the position in the first place. I'm like, actually ma'am, you're the one that hired me.

Just one more slap in the face, and one more reason for me to go explore opportunities elsewhere in my opinion. What do you think? The following image is the perfect pictograph to describe what I'm feeling right now:

:toiletgra

I'm so frustrated and tired of constantly feeling like those people who have received 5 years of my professional attention and dedication are professional enough themselves and continue to "drop the ball" at every turn. I think I'm finished with this job, and I'm reluctant to put any more energy or time into it.

As a side note to all corn snake breeders on this site, at this point, I'm willing to work for snakes. Need some help? Call on Voodoo. :)

Yeah, it sucks. But even if they are in the wrong don't give up your job security over this. Unemployment rate is extremely high right now, not a good time for job seekers. I lost my job in Sept and have been looking ever since and just collecting rejection slips.
If you had the first offer for the promotion in writing you might be able to do something. Also you could start looking around and see if there's any other places hiring, then if you get an offer you can quit the place with all the BS they are giving you that's what I would do...

Oh man, I feel for you. You have every reason to be mad and frustrated. It doesn't hurt to begin looking around for a better job, but don't take anything less than what you have. I hope they do whats right and restablish the better job they gave you.

I need to find something else myself. I work for a ministry, which equals low pay and no benefits. I've been here a year, love my job most of the time, but I'm dumb not to start looking for something with health care and retirement, etc. That can't go on forever. Eventually something will break.

Thanks for your replies. I agree that I shouldn't just quit now. Besides, that would mean I'd given them 5 years of my life for no reason, and I won't give them the satisfaction.

The job market is really slim lately, and I certainly can't afford to be unemployed right now. Still, I recognize when I'm simply be played by my employer. I'm just tired of it, and I really feel that I'm being used. I even run a committee here that causes me to sometimes have to work off the clock. Do I get a thank you? Does anyone offer to pay me for that time? NO! I get nothing, but the satisfaction that I accomplished something for my employees and at least made them happy for a while. Unfortunately, that form of motivation will only spread so far for me, especially when I started realizing that I'm just doing all this work for free, while someone else sits around, does nothing and gets paid much larger sums of money than I.

I'm not one to be greedy, and actually, the thought of what money (or lack thereof) does to people makes me sick. But when I begin to feel that someone is taking advantage of my nature, I must move on.

So, I've already submitted several applications since posting this thread. Hopefully, someone out there will be able to recognize what I've done for my current employer, and how much more I could do for them if given the chance.

Besides, that would mean I'd given them 5 years of my life for no reason, and I won't give them the satisfaction.

I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of just sitting by while they hand the job over to someone else. I'd mess with their heads (like they are messing with yours) and apply for the job again, no matter what title they give it.

I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of just sitting by while they hand the job over to someone else. I'd mess with their heads (like they are messing with yours) and apply for the job again, no matter what title they give it.

You bet! haha. I already sent in my resume and cover letter. I know I can get the job again...but after I get it, it'd be hilarious if I backed out of it and made them repost and reinterview all over again...then leave the company for something better. LOL

It's often said that the squeaky wheel gets the oil, and I've found it to be true in many cases. How high up the ladder have you gone to complain about the hand you've been dealt? If you can't get a decent answer from your immediate superior nor from the personnel department, I would highly suggest that you contact whoever is at the next level (or higher), and keep going up until you find someone who can give you a straight answer. And if you can't get that answer, run, don't walk, to the next available job opportunity!

I'm really sorry to hear that things are going so crappy for you..Trust me I feel your pain for that..Even though I haven't worked at Game Stop for 5 years as you have to your company..I've still been doing by best to exceed their expectations as a game advisor..when I got hired there I was supposed to be a key manager..but the district manager said I needed more experience in the company..which I accepted..Now 3 months later..I know pretty much everything there is to know as far as a game advisor is concerned...I go in whenever someone calls out for the day..I usually arrive at my shift a half hour early..and am always nice to the employees and the customers..but does the district manager notice any of this? No..instead he hires another guy (who has never worked in a gamestop before...now mind you I had worked at a gamestop a few years back so I did have a little experience in the company..)..So they hire this new guy who is and I quote "over qualifed" because of his resume...so he is jumped right up to key manager (the position I was supposed to have...and yes I have had management experience in my past so I beleive I was just as qualifed..) So now the position has been filled and I was never even considered..when I ask why this happened my manager tells me I'm just not ready yet...which I really don't get...This new guy makes mistakes left and right..I have to be the one to tell him how to do certain things..and yet..I'm not ready...I dunno...I don't understand the corporate world sometimes.....but that is my mini rant as well..

So as you can see Voodoo..people get trampled over no matter what company it is..Higher ups will never worry about us smaller crowds..It's the cold hard truth of working at any company that has plenty of money going for it and snobbish higher managers..But don't worry..it's people like us that can usually rise up in the end and become better then any of those jerks.. :0) Keep your head high..don't lose faith in your own talents and abilities and you will do great!

Thanks Maize. Sorry to hear about your job problems. I know it will be like this wherever I go.....unless I start my own business..... hmmmm.... let's see, what kind of business would I start? Hmmmm...perhaps a reptile business of some sort. LOL. I've seriously considered that idea for the last couple years. It's a lot of work, but I'd bet it's super gratifying for someone who loves animals as much as I do.

Maize I had this years ago at my previous job. I was the assistant manager and had TRAIN 2 managers on how to do payroll and inventory control. The one reason they gave me for not being able to be manager at my store was because I wasn't willing or able to relocate. The only problem with that excuse was that both managers I trained came from a store across town, about 10 MINUTES away from my store.
To me that wasn't "relocating". So I burned my bridges, left that place and am now a factory rat for the last 10 years.

Voodoo, good luck in whatever you decide to do. I know it's a very difficult decision in this day and time, but I know you will do whatever you feel is best for you!

Back