• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Big insect in my office

ArpeggioAngel

Around Here Somewhere....
Found this bugger in my office the other day. Had a little one attached to its backside that you can't really see in the photos. I coaxed it off the blinds and onto this piece of wood for a couple quick pics before letting it go outside.

I am guessing it is some kind of stick insect.

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

That's a walking stick.
Little one is a male, and big one is a female.
If you catch it, you better protect your face away from
it, because they spray at you.
I used to catch them and gotten sprayed at my face.
It burns in my nose and in my eyes, they are like a mace.
lol, better be careful with them. I used to live in Florida, and used to see
them all the time, so annoying.

wow..never knew walking stick insects had a spray to protect them..interesting..

Either way..cool pics..even though I'm not at all big on insects..heh..

Katie, that's a muskmare!!! Don't piss it off or it will shoot acid at you, aiming for your eyes! That's her boyfriend on her back.

It's like twice as big as the one I found. I think Katie should take a picture of it on Joe's hand, for perspective.

That's her boyfriend on her back.

Well isn't THAT just so typical? :rolleyes:

Katie, you're so brave! I'd have had a heart attack if I'd seen some 8" "bug" on my blinds! No way could I have "coaxed it off the blinds and onto a piece of wood for pictures" I'd still be cowering under my desk calling 911! Great pictures, though!

It's like when I took the pictures of mine. I didn't know what she was capable of at the time and was just thinking of her as a big friendly walking stick.

I haven't seen a walking stick since I was a kid, but I certainly don't remember them looking all scary like your thread or this one. You gals are much braver than I, that's for sure!

Do they spit the acid from their mouths, or from a separate sac or what, do you know?

*shudder*

That was one awesome looking walking stick! I think it's cool how the male stays with the female and doesn't leave. To bad some of us humans don't act the same way(me included). Anyway, thanks for showing them to us!

Do they spit the acid from their mouths, or from a separate sac or what, do you know?

*shudder*

This is a pair of Two-lined Walkingsticks, Anisomorpha buprestoides, also known as Musk-Mares or Devil Riders because of their habit of remaining in coitus for extremely long periods of time. The male is much smaller than the female. Beware!! They do not bite but they can spray a noxious substance from their necks that is painful if it gets in your eye.

Eisner (1965) reported that the stick insects generally discharged the secretion as a result of certain perceived threats. They can aim up to 30 to 40 cm with accuracy: "Anisomorpha discharges instantly in response to mild traumatic stimulation as, for example, when individual legs are pinched with forceps, or when the body is tapped or persistently prodded . . . Marksmanship is precise: the spray invariably drenches the particular instrument used for stimulation." Although most discharges required actual physical contact, Eisner (1965) found that the stick insects often would discharge at birds before being contacted by the bird. In trials, Eisner (1965) found the secretion to be an effective defense against ants, beetles, mice and birds; mouse- opossums (Marmosa sp.), however, managed to withstand the spray and consume the stick insect once its reservoir was depleted after up to five discharges from the larger females. One to two weeks are required to replenish the depleted reservoirs (Eisner 1965). Carlberg (1985) found that rats (Rattus norvegicus (Berkenhout)) initially were repelled, but some individuals managed to overcome the defense in subsequent attacks.

Although Gray (1835) mentioned the defensive secretion of A. buprestoides, the first account of its effect on humans that could be located was by Stewart (1937), who wrote about an incident in Texas: "The victim was observing a pair of Anisomorpha buprestoides . . . with his face within two feet of the insects, when he received the discharge in his left eye. . . The pain in his left eye was immediately excruciating; being reported to be as severe as if it had been caused by molten lead. Quick, thorough drenching with cool water allayed the burning agony to a dull aching pain. The pain eased considerably within the course of a few hours. Upon awakening the next morning the entire cornea was almost a brilliant scarlet in color and the eye was so sensitive to light and pressure for the next forty-eight hours that the patient was incapacitated for work. Vision was impaired for about five days." Symptoms gradually disappeared and there were no lasting effects. Albert (1947) described a similar but less severe incident.

Recent accounts (Dziedzyc 1992, Hatch et al. 1993, Paysse et al. 2001) report incidents with essentially similar symptoms, the first and most severe involving a dog. In that case, the dog suffered an ulcerated cornea, although the damage could have been self-inflicted after the encounter with the stick insect (Dziedzyc 1992). The recommended treatment includes immediate irrigation of the eye with large amounts of water, followed by administration of over-the-counter analgesics if needed for pain. Medical attention should be sought if more severe symptoms, such as decreased vision or light sensitivity, are present.

It's like when I took the pictures of mine. I didn't know what she was capable of at the time and was just thinking of her as a big friendly walking stick.

I see them outside around here all the time. Usually can find 2 or 3 pairs at a time. This was the first instance I have found them inside my house.

Now if it had been a spider - I would have been screaming holy hell for the boys to come get it.

I had no idea that they shoot acid at you - yuck! I didn't pick it up with my hands at all. I used the lip of a small sterlite and coaxed it inside. Once there I put the wood in front of the sterlite and coaxed it onto the wood with my hemostats. Then just carried the wood outside and let it climb onto our hibiscus bush.

I will have to keep all this info in mind for the next time I find one.

Oh ...and Nanci...I don't think there is anyway I could've gotten Joe to hold it for a size comparison!! LOL!!

After I released mine out at Fort Tort, I saw her again, and talked to her and petted her and she shot me and it got on my fingers. It was really hard to wash off.

Back