• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Meet Houdini!

Coty

I had planned on naming my new classic hatchling Mickey (to go with Minnie my hypo snow who was named that because she was so tiny when I got her), but I thought of a better one this morning.

I bet you can guess why!

He currently resides in a 20 g L (it is a little big but it is all that I had available) and this morning I went to feed him. He was nowhere to be found. I tore the living room apart, as when my hypo snow got out before I found her under one of the couches. This was after I used a saw to dissassemble the really nice piece of grapevine that I had in his tank because I thought that it may have been hollow and he had found a way inside of it.

Well, after that I started to tear my room apart. I checked a woolen hat hanging on my shelf and Taaa - Daah! Guess who dropped out?

Here is the culprit:

Please understand, I know that a lost corn is not "funny" or something to be taken lightly. I am 99% sure that there of those of us who have lost snakes that were important to them, and have every right to be sensitive about the subject.

To be honest, the reason that I did find this escape act intriguing is that I literally have no idea how he got out. I have had a corn escape because binder clips were too tight and caused a small gap on a shoebox, and I have had the same one escape because the screen didn't fit quite right (walmart 10 g super deluxe screen - avoid it, for snakes at least).

However, this time I really have no clue. There is a small hole I made so that I could feed the probe for my thermostat in, and while he could fit through I don't see how he could have gotten up there. I have since cut a small piece of plastic and adhered it over that opening with silicon.

Anyways, at least I can say that so far he is exhibiting healthy, very active behavior. I just hope he takes it easy on the vanishing acts!

He could climb the wire! Glad you got him back. Hope he stays put!

Yeah, I have seen him climb the wire for the digital thermometer but the hole for that is not big enough to squeeze through (I think I have the same kind of tank that you recently posted a photo of, it is an R-Zilla 20 g L critter cage).

Here is what the hole for the digital thermometer looks with the screen off:

DSCN0043.jpg

And on:

DSCN0044.jpg

The probe for the thermostat wasn't inside the tank though, I am using that thermostat for a different tank.

Here is what the hole looked like before I opened it up for the thermostat probe cord:

DSCN0040.jpg

I have been thinking about it, and I think that what happened is that he was using the aforementioned piece of grapevine to get high enough to get his head into the unused opening and then it was off to the races. That would have been quite a stretch though, unless he is longer than I had thought.

Either that, or he was able to get just high enough when he climbed onto his hide. Either way, it was one heck of a move.

The thing is, I went against the previous owner's advice and went to feed him today and if I hadn't done that I probably would not know that he was gone even as I now type. Today when I recovered him it was the first time that I had handled him since I picked him out! Otherwise I would have been looking for him this weekend or even the beginning of next week.

I cut a small piece off of a gift card (the same material as a normal credit card) and used it to try to seal the hole. I will be able to take it off easily if I end up needing to. Here is a view from the top:

DSCN0041.jpg

And an underside shot:

DSCN0042.jpg

Sorry about all the photos, I just thought it would make more sense if you could see what I was referring to.

Back