• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

going to build a rack need help on heat.

darkmorning1

Hey am looking to build a 5 level rack it would hold 31qt and a few smaller ones. it would be around 48'' tall and thats with some space at the end since i don't like the look of a bin on the floor. about 35'' long and 18'' deep will have a bit of space on the sides i know. and lids will be kept on since i have a cat. and i just cant trust a lidless bin. Anyway on picking wood. not sure. Melamine is going to be my first bet. but if they don't have it. some kind of wood is next in line. and from there i either want to stain the wood. or paint it Black. Ok with me so far?

Heating. will be the one and only Flexwatt. Now should 1) run 11'' it down the back in one long line. or 2) run a foot long 11'' to each level. and wire it one to another till the end and Make it so One wire Controls it all.

When is it too warm! Flexwatt i know can get SUPER HOT. and i was thinking about using a Ranco ETC-111000 Pre Wired for controlling that heat. what are the odds since the flexwatt will be on wood. or laying on the plasic/wood of it burning? Even if its run down the back in one line. is it safe?

lol yeah i was reptile hunting but am out of room! lol going to build a rack and then sell my big snake one you know? And with that add more snakes ( ; peek a boo btw is almost 300 grams now!

Melamine is going to be my first bet. but if they don't have it. some kind of wood is next in line. and from there i either want to stain the wood. or paint it Black. Ok with me so far?

I'm not a fan of melamine at all. It's heavy, will warp (it's nothing but coated particle board), will bow...Not my cup of tea to have to replace racks every couple years. :) My wooden racks have been built out of cabinet grade plywood. I have successfully used MinWax Stain & Seal in the wooden racks. Keep in mind that cheap wood will stain badly.

Heating. will be the one and only Flexwatt. Now should 1) run 11'' it down the back in one long line. or 2) run a foot long 11'' to each level. and wire it one to another till the end and Make it so One wire Controls it all.

On bins 15qt and smaller I use back heat, anything larger I use belly heat. I'm not sure what temperatures are in your area, but if I didn't have belly heat on the larger bins, they would not be warm enough during the winter.

what are the odds since the flexwatt will be on wood. or laying on the plasic/wood of it burning? Even if its run down the back in one line. is it safe?

All's I can say is that it can happen. If anyone tells you differently, they're full of it. I've had it happen, Clay Davenport's had it happen, others have had it happen. Not trying to discourage you in the least of using FlexWatt (I still use it); just be careful when wiring it, use a good thermostat (I'm a fan of Helix personally), get a good min/max digital thermometer, and if something doesn't look/smell right in the room, immediately check the FlexWatt.

this might sound crazy but has anyone made a thermostat, that Shuts off when is see's the temp is over whatever you set it at. .like you set it at 80 and then a shutt off at 98f....Anyone think/make something like that?

Hubby is planning on something like that. It's going to be some sort of "over-temp" fuse as a safeguard against stat failure. I'm not sure how he's planning on wiring it or anything though. I leave that sort of stuff to him.

Once I get my rack to the point we're putting the flexwatt in I'll try to get better instructions.

i did build a rack and i got a thermostat. i like it a lot. you set it to a temp it will get there. but when it goes higher then what you set it. it shuts its self off. and when it goes back. it will turn back on

Back