• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Website feedback!

Silvergrin

Hey folks, I'm finally designing a snake website :) I'm used to html/php/mysql, but css is new to me (behind the times, I know...)

I'd love to know what you think of my page layout!

... no the links don't go anywhere yet :p

Specifically I'd like to know
a) what do you think of the design? Is it easy to read or too dark?
b) does it look like this? (image below - minus the "news" text about eggs.)
ophidile2d.jpg

Thanks!

I know, CSS is a pain. That's why I let the wifey do it. She is a wiz at it. Plus, I isn't dat smaht!?!?

So far the layout looks great! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Wayne

Looks good. I'm pretty horrible at most comp languages. I have minimal html skills, enough to get by. If it's not wysiwyg it's probably over my head :laugh:

Are you using CSS for the menu as well? Because there's a great technique using "sprites" if you want to incorporate any small graphic elements for the different menu states (hover, down, etc....)

Take a look at this article from A List Apart....

Dale

I like it for the most part, I think the header area is a bit big especially if the space at the very top is going to remain blank. I don't like a lot of "whitespace" or in this case greenspace in websites.

Good job on the layout for the rest though. What will you be using for content placement? I'm assuming some kind of CMS backend?

Are you using CSS for the menu as well? Because there's a great technique using "sprites" if you want to incorporate any small graphic elements for the different menu states (hover, down, etc....)

Take a look at this article from A List Apart....

Yes, using CSS for the menu - Thanks for the link! Don't have plans to add a sprite yet but never know...

I like it for the most part, I think the header area is a bit big especially if the space at the very top is going to remain blank. I don't like a lot of "whitespace" or in this case greenspace in websites.

Good job on the layout for the rest though. What will you be using for content placement? I'm assuming some kind of CMS backend?

Woops, I meant to squish it down a little bit more than it was... just 15 pix but I think it looks a little less bulky...
I'm afraid I haven't heard of CMS :eek: What is it? I was planning to use mysql to track infos on hatchlings and such, and php as an interface.

Woops, I meant to squish it down a little bit more than it was... just 15 pix but I think it looks a little less bulky...
I'm afraid I haven't heard of CMS :eek: What is it? I was planning to use mysql to track infos on hatchlings and such, and php as an interface.

CMS is an acronym for Content Management System. Basically it is a software package developed to allow you to easily post content. All things are stored vi MYSQL and entered via an administration area.

Most CMS use PHP, MYSQL or another database software.

Good example. My site in my signature. It uses WordPress which is a good content management system most consider it such even though it began as a blogging platform.

You could easily take your template and splice it up to work on WordPress theme architecture and make your site one powerful thing. The gallery you see on mysite is called NEXT Gallery by Alex Rabe, it's awesome.

Yes, using CSS for the menu - Thanks for the link! Don't have plans to add a sprite yet but never know...

CMS = Content Management System

The leading two CMS's for the "LAMP" (Linux/Apache/MySql/PHP) stack are Joomla and Drupal. Be prepared for a longer learning curve if you're urgent to get the site live, ESPECIALLY in the "templating" (CSS) section of the site, as both have a certain rigid structure to them in terms of naming conventions and so on.

But, that said, I've used Drupal in creating some blog sites, and I really like it.

Dale

Back