• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Favoritism / Choosing Favorites

What makes your snake great?

• Obscurity of Species

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Rarity / Costliness of Morph

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Visual Appeal / Good Looks / Aesthetics

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • Disposition / Friendliness

Votes: 41 89.1%
  • Ease of Feeding & Care

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Hardiness & Perseverance to Survive

Votes: 12 26.1%

• Total voters

vetusvates

Gamaliel's Principle
Alright, this is a simple thread, that may very well have been done before, but it's Friday. Yay! So this is for fun. And I'm interested in what the experienced/longtime keepers have to share....as well as the newbies. No wrong answers.
In your collection do you have a favorite herp? Or 3 or 4? And how or what makes one or more herps a little more special to you than the rest?
Visual appeal, rarity of morph, obscurity of species, disposition, ease of feeding and care, or even something I didn't mention?
Personal anecdotes are welcome and encouraged, along with the name of your special pal.

Note: Upon reflection, I set up the poll where you can select more than one item. And....forgot to put "other". So pick 2 or 3 or 4!

Well I gotta say, for me its disposition from the animal. My favorites are my MBKs and my PITS. both opposite extremes, lol. The MBKs are mellow and easy to handle while my Bulls/gophers can get grumpy. But they are a nice size snake whose scales are incredible looking when they are adult size. Imagine an animal's scales looking like SW Native American Bead Work.

I chose dispostion/care and feeding and hardiness.

One of the reasons I chose corns and balls is because they are so docile and easy to handle. Although I do think there are many species out there that are absolutely beautiful, if I can't be assured that I can handle it without fear then more than likely it's a herp I won't own.

All my corns and my ball are very good eaters. Not saying that I'm not going to run into a problem at some point(because I'm sure I will) but I like the fact that they don't require a special diet other than rodents. I've also been fortunate in that ALL of my snakes have easily and readily been converted to F/T with no problems.

Hardiness is just because I am a softy and can't bear to lose a pet. I cried for a whole week straight when my LoveGood escaped and went missing(she's still MIA) even after Kyle was so very sweet enough to replace her for me. I still get misty over it. I can't imagine owning a pet that I'm constantly worried about whether or not I'll wake up to them in death throes because of the teenyest tinyest mistake I may have made.

I said disposition and then looks. My favs are my chahouas and cresteds, but for my daughter its the snakes that she adores the most. Both are beautiful, well mannered, and easy to care for. I wouldn't own an animal I couldn't feel comfortable holding or that was fugly, but thats just me.

I didn't vote because none of the choices really fit for my favorite herp. My favorite herp are my Igs. They were all rescues so they are not exactly the best looking Igs around and one of them has an attitude problem but I love all of them. Most of my Igs have great personalities and are very loving and friendly except my one male he always tries to eat me most of the time but I still love him. My Igs are very special to me because before them I loved all animals but after I rescued them they really sparked my passion for reptiles. I get a lot of my herps from rescuing so they normally are not the best looking or the nicest but they deserve a good home. When I do buy I normally go for whatever I really like the looks of.

I have different favorites for different reasons.

My ultimate favorite snake is my first corn - Clementine. Because she was my first, she was handled constantly and is sweet as pie. I love her laid back disposition and calm manner. She comes out of her hide when I tap on her glass, climbs out of the tank to be handled, has never tail rattled, struck or bit. She may not be the prettiest snake in my collection, but she will always be my favorite.

For species - my graybands are my favorite. They may be stubborn eaters to start (although hopefully I have figured out the solution to avoid that problem), but overall they are the calmest, most docile snakes I have ever handled. Even as hatchlings, I have never had one musk, tail rattle, strike or bite.

For overall looks, I love my Miami's, my big bloodred girl, and my RO just to name a few.

For breeding projects - I love my charcoals (poss het amel, blood and motley) and another project trio I am working with currently...

So I guess I just have a lot of individual reasons why individual snakes hold a special place with me.

I have 40 favorite herps. And they're all sitting in my herp room right now. This number increases as does my collection. It's absolutely impossible for me to pick a favorite snake. I love my boas, corns, rats, balls, burm, beardie, house, and yes, even my demoness king. If you made me pick an absolute favorite, I'd have a hard time deciding between my first snake, a snow corn named Luci, and my first boa, a pastel BCI named Josie.

I have a few favorates, for different reasons but if I could only have one snake it would be murphy, my albino retic. I think he is the most beautiful snake I have ever seen, eye popping yellow on a pure white base, perfect pattern, calm disposition (he hasn't even bit me yet), never misses a meal and has been the picture of health.
My second favorate is a jungle carpet given to me because it was extremely agressive and the owner didn't want to deal with it. He is only about 2 feet long and a yearling so there is time to bring him around, and he is yellowing up nice. I got him in January 09 and he went from striking at the glass just for looking at him to only biting me 2 or 3 times during a handling session.I don't know if it is the challange or the fact that I have shed a lot of blood with this guy but I am determined to make him a friendly pet someday.

Thats a hard question to answer, Eric.
Favourite animal that I own.. Sid the pine snake.... Excellent chap.
Favourite species that I own.... Carpets... Because they can tick most of the boxes in your poll..... Excellent species:cheers:
but I am determined to make him a friendly pet someday.
It will calm down on it's own, but you never fully trust them... LOL

My favorite snake is Choco the Cali King. Choco was my second snake (as an adult). Choco was the coolest baby and juvenile- she learned a whole lot of tricks and would go through her repetoire with me every night! Choco can sit and watch a two hour movie and remain calm and not fidgety.

Attachments

• Chocs Daisies 009cr800jpg.jpg
    Chocs Daisies 009cr800jpg.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 44
My next two snakes are tied for second place. Cherry is the sweetest snake in the universe. People who are nervous around snakes fall in love with her. People who have snakes of their own, fancier snakes, fall in love with her. It is because Cher Bear likes interacting with people, and you can tell. Plus, she is so beautiful.

Attachments

• Cherry 01_2008 002_800.jpg
    Cherry 01_2008 002_800.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 45
Tied for second place is Noah the BOA!!! I love my Noee. She is so different from the colubrids! I love her little boa head. She is very sweet and never skittery or jumpy. She is squishy and fun to hold. Plus, she is a rare color for her locality, and she has beautiful blue eyes!

Attachments

• Noah_Mrs. George 018cr.jpg
    Noah_Mrs. George 018cr.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 44
(hurrying up to post more pink flower snakes!)

16637_30634_Large_ziBbDteMV3.jpg

Sita
16088_28191_Large_K54LKXHBygKw.jpg

Vasuki
Wouldn't be able to pick between the two, but I adore them both for their disposition and gentle curiosity about the world. Vasuki was also my first snake, so he gets in an extra bonus point for that.

I picked visual appeal and hardiness.

I really love bright colors and cool patterns - probably the most important reason I choose a favorite. But I would prefer the challenge to be producing weird and beautiful colors and patterns, not the challenge of just keeping them alive. That is why I chose hardiness. I probably could have chosen ease of keeping, too - often goes along with hardiness.

I really love my corns (especially bloods, lavenders, and okeetees) But if I could only choose ONE species, I might have to go with Amazon tree boas - I REALLY do love those guys! So of course I COULDN'T choose tame disposition, lol!

WHAT!? I thought you meant one SPECIES!

That is difficult enough! You people are just IMPOSSIBLE, lol!

Well, I really meant that odd presently (or past) owned individual or two that just pulls you to it for some weird reason you can't explain. I wasn't expecting such a turnout, but thanks for posting guys.
And I would like to know Kathy's favorite species and favorite individual.....and why. :D

Back